Cardinals interested in LaRoche?

GGajewski18

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:51 PM)
Davidson. Let's see if he can hit MLB. Or Thompson. Let's see if he can hit MLB pitching.

That's a horrible idea. Davidson can't hit AAA pitching, what would make anyone think he could succeed against better competition?

Edited by oneofthemikes

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
Again, what are our options?

My comment was in response to the idea that teams would want to trade for Laroche and take his salary. But if teams would, yes I would trade him if a team would give us a good prospect. Options? I don't know.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
Anyone calling for Matt Davidson should never be able to complain about White Sox prospects anymore. And when he fails, should be suspended if they complain even once. He's hitting .230 and striking out at an incredible clip in his third go around at a level a 22 year old Carlos Sanchez had no problem with.

his K totals are off the charts. I wonder how many swinging strikes he takes v. how many called strikes he takes. With his high walk totals (15% of the time), he's obviously looking for "that pitch" and perhaps overly-willing to sit back down if he doesn't get it. If so, it may be something that he could realistically improve on.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
his K totals are off the charts. I wonder how many swinging strikes he takes v. how many called strikes he takes. With his high walk totals (15% of the time), he's obviously looking for "that pitch" and perhaps overly-willing to sit back down if he doesn't get it. If so, it may be something that he could realistically improve on.

His k level was Javier Baez-like last year, even worse, with a lower walk rate. At any rate, if it can be improved, it doesn't appear he is with the team that gets that improvement.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
Anyone calling for Matt Davidson should never be able to complain about White Sox prospects anymore. And when he fails, should be suspended if they complain even once. He's hitting .230 and striking out at an incredible clip in his third go around at a level a 22 year old Carlos Sanchez had no problem with.

I'd rather watch Davidson fail for the 1st time than Beckham for the 5th time. There is still a 0.1% chance that Davidson can be a everyday MLB player. That percentage is dead zero for Gordon.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
I'd rather watch Davidson fail for the 1st time than Beckham for the 5th time. There is still a 0.1% chance that Davidson can be a everyday MLB player. That percentage is dead zero for Gordon.

Agree 100%

Davidson only 24. There are players who are late bloomers. He obviously has some talent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)

Then if you get your wish, don't complain about the White Sox calling up players when they are not ready or ever rushing them, because that is exactly what you want them to do. Just because you would rather watch Davidson strike out rather than Beckham doesn't mean it is the correct move. And if Davidson is a late bloomer, calling him up before he is ready, isn't going to help him bloom. Let him flail away in Charlotte until he shows he is ready, not call him up because the major league team is lacking. If more of the same continues, you can call him up in September when the games don't mean anything and maybe he gets a couple of hits. Or just wait until next spring. Calling him up now and having him strike out more often than Adam Dunn does him and the White Sox absolutely no good.

I'm rather confused by the direction of this team. They win some games bringing hope and then go on a slide so I'm not sure where I stand to be honest. I admit I have a difficult time accepting they can reach the post season so that being said...

Assuming a team would trade for LaRoche, opening up the DH would allow Avi to move to DH. I know it would hurt what value he has but as long as Avi remains one of the core players then I'm not overly concerned about value. The Sox could give Thompson a look in RF or move Eaton RF and Thompson plays CF. Either way the OF defense would improve. Problem with that idea is, imo, Thompson's bat could use more time at Charlotte. Thompson has made impressive progress this year and would like to see that continue before giving him a look with the Sox or at least wait til September.

Another idea would be Avi to DH with Shuck moving to RF which still improves the defense although not as much as Thompson would.

Again, all this based on the Sox not being contenders and me as a fan being rather confused as to the direction of the current team so please take this post with a big grain of salt. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
I'm rather confused by the direction of this team. They win some games bringing hope and then go on a slide so I'm not sure where I stand to be honest. I admit I have a difficult time accepting they can reach the post season so that being said...

Assuming a team would trade for LaRoche, opening up the DH would allow Avi to move to DH. I know it would hurt what value he has but as long as Avi remains one of the core players then I'm not overly concerned about value. The Sox could give Thompson a look in RF or move Eaton RF and Thompson plays CF. Either way the OF defense would improve. Problem with that idea is, imo, Thompson's bat could use more time at Charlotte. Thompson has made impressive progress this year and would like to see that continue before giving him a look with the Sox or at least wait til September.

Another idea would be Avi to DH with Shuck moving to RF which still improves the defense although not as much as Thompson would.

Again, all this based on the Sox not being contenders and me as a fan being rather confused as to the direction of the current team so please take this post with a big grain of salt. :)

i agree on many parts of this post.

i really enjoy the sox winning and at the same time posters convincing themselves that post season is still possible.

i don't see the post season being possible. i would rather put Shark on the trade market now, as some teams may to take advantage of the early market of trading. i only want comp picks as a rtn of Adam L and as you siad, move Avi to dh. \

lets start the trading now. look at Miami on mlb rumors, they are now stating on opening for trades now....

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Then if you get your wish, don't complain about the White Sox calling up players when they are not ready or ever rushing them, because that is exactly what you want them to do. Just because you would rather watch Davidson strike out rather than Beckham doesn't mean it is the correct move. And if Davidson is a late bloomer, calling him up before he is ready, isn't going to help him bloom. Let him flail away in Charlotte until he shows he is ready, not call him up because the major league team is lacking. If more of the same continues, you can call him up in September when the games don't mean anything and maybe he gets a couple of hits. Or just wait until next spring. Calling him up now and having him strike out more often than Adam Dunn does him and the White Sox absolutely no good.

OK, Scout's honor.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)

I'm not even concerned with him remaining a core player. Core players usually do something well. We've got lots of holes to fill and at this point I consider right field one of them. And if we jettisoned LaRoche and moved Avi to DH, I'd consider DH one of them. I am sure the front office doesn't feel the same way and he'll get his shot as long as they can fall back on his youth.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm not even concerned with him remaining a core player. Core players usually do something well. We've got lots of holes to fill and at this point I consider right field one of them. And if we jettisoned LaRoche and moved Avi to DH, I'd consider DH one of them. I am sure the front office doesn't feel the same way and he'll get his shot as long as they can fall back on his youth.

Stone said the other day Avi was 5th in the AL in velocity coming off his bat. As down as some people are on him, there is potential there. If he gets balls in the air, he could be a monster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Stone said the other day Avi was 5th in the AL in velocity coming off his bat. As down as some people are on him, there is potential there. If he gets balls in the air, he could be a monster.

Most teams don't wait this long. but I truly feel that guys need like 1,500 plate appearances before we really know what they are. Avi has less than 800 big league at-bats currently.

He also swings at the 3rd most pitches out of the zone and is the 9th worst at hitting pitches out of the zone in all of the mlb. Obviously, he's still young, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. The Sox really need him to put it together.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
He also swings at the 3rd most pitches out of the zone and is the 9th worst at hitting pitches out of the zone in all of the mlb. Obviously, he's still young, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. The Sox really need him to put it together.

This. He doesn't show any good instincts. His arrow is pointing down.

Stone is mistaken, he's referring to a single instance, a double Avi hit off Soria on 6/26 with an exit velocity of 116.1 MPH which was the 6th highest in the AL this season on a single batted ball. In terms of average exit velocity he doesn't crack the top 50 in baseball.

http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#avg-hit-velo

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 05:57 AM)

I completely agree. Maybe something crazy happens but I think it is extremely unlikely that Davidson amounts to anything.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Stone is mistaken, he's referring to a single instance, a double Avi hit off Soria on 6/26 with an exit velocity of 116.1 MPH which was the 6th highest in the AL this season on a single batted ball. In terms of average exit velocity he doesn't crack the top 50 in baseball.

http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#avg-hit-velo

How valuable (or rather, how does it actually correlate to production) is exit velocity when a guy like Salty is near the top hitting under .200. I presume this would favor high power, strikeout hitting guys, who tend to have pretty good exit velocity in general and isn't necessarily a good indicator of good players. I see some good players on that list, but also a lot of guys in the top 50 who aren't what I would describe as good offensive players.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
How valuable (or rather, how does it actually correlate to production) is exit velocity when a guy like Salty is near the top hitting under .200. I presume this would favor high power, strikeout hitting guys, who tend to have pretty good exit velocity in general and isn't necessarily a good indicator of good players. I see some good players on that list, but also a lot of guys in the top 50 who aren't what I would describe as good offensive players.

These types of batters serve a purpose in the dog days of summer. They make excellent fans for the bleacher bums

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)

I heard that, problem is I don't know what that means. How does "off the bat velocity" translate to production? He's got that inside out swing to take the ball to RF, does that lead to a higher off-the-bat velocity?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
I heard that, problem is I don't know what that means. How does "off the bat velocity" translate to production? He's got that inside out swing to take the ball to RF, does that lead to a higher off-the-bat velocity?

See my response to Kalapse post. We are both clearly on the same page here and when I look at that list, I come to the conclusion that it kind of doesn't matter.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
See my response to Kalapse post. We are both clearly on the same page here and when I look at that list, I come to the conclusion that it kind of doesn't matter.

I was going through posts in chronological order and hadn't gotten to yours yet :)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
I agree with you.

he needs to show more power though.

thanks,

i would be happy to get thru this season without being hurt.

baby steps. esp when this season is all fvvcked