Yasiel Puig

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Thank you for admitting you don't have the answer to a very important question.

Again, if the Sox wait until the off season to trade Q there will 29 other team calling Hahn. Q most certainly could fill a few holes at the major league level and bring back some very young minkr league talent with 29 teams willing to take on a pitcher of his caliper and cheap contract. It would be an all out bidding war for Q.

No he couldn't.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Again, how do the Sox plug those holes after they trade a huge asset like Q away for one player? Seems nobody has an answer for that question. The Sox aren't going to continue dipping into FA.

So we should only trade Q if we can plug all of our holes with him? I don't understand. If we traded Quintana for Mike Trout we'd still have a bunch of holes, should the Sox not do that trade?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
Getting honest to god elite talent from a position player is a nice return for Q. I have no confidence in us correctly judging minor league hitters and getting them to big leagues. I have every confidence we will field a great pitching staff for next 4-5 years.

and that will help, if the sox needed that one player. but outside the pitching, how would you address the rest of the positions that needs to be address??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
those stats while true are an after thought. i can't argue against stats.

but i will debate moving an asset to get Puig and leaving the holes unaccounted for. this team first needs to be able to field a team to challenge the other teams. then it can fine tune the other parts.

this trade, whether others agree or not, will expose the team with more problems.

To field a team to challenge other teams requires star talent at at least one position. We have pitchers, but only one DH who is particularly good.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
Nobody is saying it will. My position is that I would rather get a slam dunk at one position than a bunch of prospects at a few positions. Get the slam dunk, sort out the rest later.

Again, to the room, I feel compelled to acknowledge that Q + Danks for Puig is so lopsided in the Sox' favor that it wouldn't happen anyway.

and i nice way to look at the future of the team.

this was done many time in todays real world. the economy.... but i am disgressing.

the sox needs help. 1 player will not fix it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
and i nice way to look at the future of the team.

this was done many time in todays real world. the economy.... but i am disgressing.

the sox needs help. 1 player will not fix it.

Why not get a proven player that has already shown signs of stardom than 2-3 unknowns?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
LDF, give me a trade proposal for Q that would address some but not all holes?

dang it, i really have to go, esp when there is finally a great debate going on.....

off the top of my head.

q, putman to hous.

flexi, phillips, davies 3-b, and nottingham

with flezi being the wildcard. it would be nice, but well.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
So we should only trade Q if we can plug all of our holes with him? I don't understand. If we traded Quintana for Mike Trout we'd still have a bunch of holes, should the Sox not do that trade?
i

if the sox are trading a cost control for how many yrs and est #2 pitcher..... yes.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
Yes, I'm a soothsayer.

Or, I assume most prospects will never succeed in the big leagues.

and that is baseball. so teams get 3 or 4 prospects for every success. but this team is void. the thing is they need to fill the void and fine tune it later.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
dang it, i really have to go, esp when there is finally a great debate going on.....

off the top of my head.

q, putman to hous.

flexi, phillips, davies 3-b, and nottingham

with flezi being the wildcard. it would be nice, but well.

How does that fill any of current needs at the MLB level?

Feliz is the closest to MLB ready and he's probably a bullpen piece.

Phillips is an outfielder.....

Davis is in A+, we have a guy by the name of Trey Michalczewski who is producing at a similar clip than him and 2 years younger.

Nottingham is 20 years old and is 3 years away....

Give me the proven stud in Puig....

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
Why not get a proven player that has already shown signs of stardom than 2-3 unknowns?

and how would you fix the holes .... more dumpster diving???? try to regurgitate old players to maybe be some what productive.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:30 PM)
How does that fill any of current needs at the MLB level?

Feliz is the closest to MLB ready and he's probably a bullpen piece.

Phillips is an outfielder.....

Davis is in A+, we have a guy by the name of Trey Michalczewski who is producing at a similar clip than him and 2 years younger.

Nottingham is 20 years old and is 3 years away....

Give me the proven stud in Puig....

dang it..... i gots to go, but i will come back to this, believe you me, i am.

peace.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Well if he can't fill at least one of 3B or C (plus some additional prospects), he simply won't be traded.

Just to note again, Catcher is actually the position where the Sox have their 2nd highest fWAR. Tyler Flowers has more fWAR than any of our position player regulars other than Abreu.

Maybe you think someone will improve next year at one of those positions, fine, but I certainly wouldn't say "we must find a catcher" or "finding a new catcher is more important than 3b, SS, OF, or 2b".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Just to note again, Catcher is actually the position where the Sox have their 2nd highest fWAR. Tyler Flowers has more fWAR than any of our position player regulars other than Abreu.

Maybe you think someone will improve next year at one of those positions, fine, but I certainly wouldn't say "we must find a catcher" or "finding a new catcher is more important than 3b, SS, OF, or 2b".

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 6m6 minutes ago

Before Geovany Soto's homer today, #WhiteSox catchers entered 14th in #MLB with a combined .674 OPS.

Agree 100%. Our catchers are actually middle of the pack this year. There are much more pressing needs right now.

I am aware. I think that has more to do with everyone else playing well under their career norms that Tyler Flowers and Geo Soto being good at baseball. Either would be a fine back-up. Problem is, there are very few good catchers in baseball right now, but I'd certainly like one of the top 10 catching prospects in the game and give him a chance next year than rely on either one of those two for more than back-up duty in 2016.

Unlike you, I think we're fine in the OF for now, and we have several internal options at 2B and SS.

3B and C would be my priorities, and SS next.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 6m6 minutes ago

Before Geovany Soto's homer today, #WhiteSox catchers entered 14th in #MLB with a combined .674 OPS.

That blows my mind.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I am aware. I think that has more to do with everyone else playing well under their career norms that Tyler Flowers and Geo Soto being good at baseball. Either would be a fine back-up. Problem is, there are very few good catchers in baseball right now, but I'd certainly like one of the top 10 catching prospects in the game and give him a chance next year than rely on either one of those two for more than back-up duty in 2016.

Unlike you, I think we're fine in the OF for now, and we have several internal options at 2B and SS.

You could maybe upgrade 2 other positions at the same cost it would take to upgrade C. And there's a decent chance those catching prospects don't produce better than Flowers/Soto anyway.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
The Sox wouldn't do Q for Puig straight up. If the Sox trade Q, it will be to get an above average ML ready 3B or C, + some other high upside prospects. The Sox definitely would not just throw Avi in the deal in addition.

Let's fix the holes we have, not fix something that isn't broken (I am not an Avi hater, and want to give him at least another 1.5 seasons - the dude is young).

Puig = 9.8 WAR in 295 MLB games.

Garcia = -.5 WAR in 218 games.

I realize Garcia could develop, but lets not act like we aren't talking about a significant upgrade here.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)

If you can get a top of the league player at C as the key piece in a deal I wouldn't complain at all, all I'd ask in response is why that's preferable to getting a top of the league talent in one of the corner OF spots.

If you could replace Avi with a top of the league corner OF it's a bigger upgrade than replacing Flowers with one and both Flowers and Avi have the problem of moving forward in their arb years the next couple seasons.