Yasiel Puig

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
Cespedes has often been compared to Puig, Kemp and Hanley Ramirez in the "guaranteed to screw up team chemistry" department.

Maybe because no stories have come out of DET this year compared to Boston last season (and All-Star numbers) he's suddenly more viable again, but you can practically guarantee if Cespedes isnt't playing everyday with a FA contract nearing that he'd become a major headache.

Another player the White Sox or Tigers would desire from LA is Hector Olivera for 3b...if they were willing to part with him. On the injured list right now for OKC.

i have been curious about that since last yr rpt of it.

too bad. there is not language in making a contract on Fa's, like a series of 1 yr contract with club options each yr.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
I dont recall Cespedes being labeled a clubhouse chemistry trouble maker. Only that he is more of a .250 hitter than he is a .300 hitter

That was allegedly part of the reason that Beane was eager to include him in the deal in the middle of a pennant race. I think the dig on him was not necessarily that he was a bad teammate but more that he was not very coachable and refused to play anything but LF (the A's wanted him in CF I guess).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
That was allegedly part of the reason that Beane was eager to include him in the deal in the middle of a pennant race. I think the dig on him was not necessarily that he was a bad teammate but more that he was not very coachable and refused to play anything but LF (the A's wanted him in CF I guess).

I dunno, his deal and value after that first season made him a perfect Beane trade chip. It was surprising when it happened, but when i thought about it, it made sense that Beane dealt him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
I dont recall Cespedes being labeled a clubhouse chemistry trouble maker. Only that he is more of a .250 hitter than he is a .300 hitter

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2250329...-this-offseason

See article from about the 2/3rd's point on.

There were a ton of stories out of Boston last year but I don't have a Globe subscription. This is the first one I randomly pulled up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2250329...-this-offseason

See article from about the 2/3rd's point on.

There were a ton of stories out of Boston last year but I don't have a Globe subscription. This is the first one I randomly pulled up.

seriously?

While Bradford was quick to dispel a quote given to Madden by a "Red Sox insider" that all Boston's coaches hate Cespedes, there were some issues.

Cespedes only spent a couple of days working out in right field trying to accommodate the Red Sox's wishes that he move there before abandoning the workouts altogether. He also displayed "a reluctance to spend time improving" some other fielding issues he was having.

this is all you have on a guy who supposedly has tons of articles written about him being a clubhouse cancer? expecially out of boston, a city that routinely destroys the character of players on the way out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
seriously?

this is all you have on a guy who supposedly has tons of articles written about him being a clubhouse cancer? expecially out of boston, a city that routinely destroys the character of players on the way out.

Beane didn't like him cause Cespedes didn't listen to him. Him not listening to coaches advice on hitting approaches is different then being a clubhouse cancer. The trade of Cespedes and what he brought to the lineup and his fit in the clubhouse were both viewed as some (although it was probably more to do with injuries) as reasons why the A's faltered down the stretch. On an unrelated note, a lot of people liked Hanley in LA. Clubhouse cancer gets overused. Was AJ a cancer, depends on who you'd ask, but many saw him as a great player to have on your team. Everyone like him, nope.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
seriously?

Sigh.

You said you'd never heard a thing about him in Boston.

There has been speculation around baseball and the blogosphere that the Red Sox might seek to package Cespedes to Miami in order to reel in Giancarlo Stanton, but up until now that appeared to be the extent of their intentions. That is not the case, according to Madden. Citing an unnamed source inside the Red Sox organization, it appears the Red Sox have soured on the Cuban left-fielder, going so far as to express “hate” for him. While that word may be a little strong, there is no doubt that some discord exists.

“He marches to his own drum and the coaches all hate him.”

http://calltothepen.com/2014/10/28/yoenis-...d-hated-boston/

The rest of the article questions how he went from a glue/chemistry guy in Oakland to a clubhouse cancer in two months, but there was way too much smoke coming out of Boston for all of it to have been completely invented or fabricated.

You're telling me that planting stories about him in the media was done solely to placate Red Sox fans for not signing him...when they ended up signing Ramirez for the same position and Sandoval, two more huge question marks they now also would love to dump on other teams?

If they loved him so much, why would they spend significantly more for an older player who can't even play LF adequately?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Beane didn't like him cause Cespedes didn't listen to him. Him not listening to coaches advice on hitting approaches is different then being a clubhouse cancer. The trade of Cespedes and what he brought to the lineup and his fit in the clubhouse were both viewed as some (although it was probably more to do with injuries) as reasons why the A's faltered down the stretch. On an unrelated note, a lot of people liked Hanley in LA. Clubhouse cancer gets overused. Was AJ a cancer, depends on who you'd ask, but many saw him as a great player to have on your team. Everyone like him, nope.

It's no different from Adam Eaton.

There were a lot of stories on him as well having issues with teammates in AZ.

He was benched for not listening to coaches about outfield positioning. Some now think he's selfish for trying to jack homers more frequently instead of slapping the ball on the ground and hitting line drives.

He also has had numerous issues with throwing and baserunning, including the time he didn't run out a ball twice down the first base line.

If you're a Sox fan, you might like him, but the DBacks are much happier with AJ Pollock.

In isolation, none are killer problems. When taken collectively, there's more reasons to worry.

Was Nick Swisher a cancer because he didn't want to listen to Greg Walker and didn't respond well to being forced into CF and the leadoff spot? Who knows? Sometimes the perception stays regardless.

And it's not like guys such as Jenks, AJ or Carl Everett didn't succeed with the Sox. Even Jose Guillen went for stretches without causing disruptions in Pittsburgh and KC.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
If the Dodgers were willing to do Shark+ for Puig, what would you guys offer?

I would trade Shark, Montas and Avisail for Puig. I don't think they want Avi but I'd do it. I don't really care, get me Puig.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
I would trade Shark, Montas and Avisail for Puig. I don't think they want Avi but I'd do it. I don't really care, get me Puig.

If im giving up both Shark and Montas, I want some type of pitcher in return. Even if its a lottery ticket like Montas was.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
No way do the Dodgers do that.

I don't know if they would or not. It would set them up pretty well. It all depends on how they really feel about Puig. What if Detroit picked up the difference in money this season?

I can't understand why the Dodgers would consider trading the guy,maybe he is too big a distraction. Maybe they want prospects.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)
I don't know if they would or not. It would set them up pretty well. It all depends on how they really feel about Puig. What if Detroit picked up the difference in money this season?

I can't understand why the Dodgers would consider trading the guy,maybe he is too big a distraction. Maybe they want prospects.

That's a ridiculous overpay for rents. Puig is controlled for 4 more years at reasonable numbers.

I don't see how it sets them up well anyway. Puig much is better than Cespedes. Dodgers already have 2 top of the rotation starters.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
I love Sale but a package of Puig, Urias, Seager, and Olivera would be tempting and I'd probably take it.

I'd do that.

I would trade Shark, Montas and Avisail for Puig.

I'd do that too.

Edited by GreenSox

I would do this in a heartbeat

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
Don't feel like wading through this thread in it's entirety.

Is there any actual rumors regarding the White Sox and Puig? Or is this a 14 page thread with posters just making random trade proposals?

No this is speculation. There are no rumors. In fact, it's been extremely quiet so far. Doesn't anyone else agree?

Deadline is not too far away and there have not been many whispers.

We've went on for 65 pages in the Shark thread and we haven't really seen one rumor about a possible deal or significant interest from another team, have we? Kind of frustrating.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)
No this is speculation. There are no rumors. In fact, it's been extremely quiet so far. Doesn't anyone else agree?

Deadline is not too far away and there have not been many whispers.

We've went on for 65 pages in the Shark thread and we haven't really seen one rumor about a possible deal or significant interest from another team, have we? Kind of frustrating.

No rumors at all! So dry this season... yuck