Yasiel Puig

Y2Jimmy0

I think the main point mentioned originally is that it said Abreu cant stand Puig. If that's truly the case, the deal would never be made. You don't alienate your best position player. Now, if Abreu is actually okay with Puig, I'd do that trade in a second. Maybe Abreu can keep Puig in check. The Sox desperately need offensive talent.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
I think you can get a tremendous package in return for Quintana. The Seager idea may be a reach, but just about every team in baseball would love Q on their team with his contract. I'm not sure what defines "elite" but Quintana should get you a haul.

I think you SHOULD get a great package for Quintana - his skill warrants that - but I don't think you would. He's not known, not great stuff, no hype, bad record....all things that should be irrelevant, but which aren't to buyers who have to deal with fanbases.

He's worthy of a Shields return, but I think you'd get a Fister return.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Matt Spiegel has been proposing a Puig for Quintana deal all morning.

Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670 12m12 minutes ago

Avisail Garcia and Jose Quintana for Yasiel Puig. Who says no?

I love Quintana but Puig is the type of talent I'd ideally want in return for him. Supposedly, Abreu and Puig don't get along.

Thoughts, everyone?

Never heard of that rumor. Abreu actually mentioned having lunch with him just last year and they have a long conversation when Puig was at 1st base in interleague play.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
I think you SHOULD get a great package for Quintana - his skill warrants that - but I don't think you would. He's not known, not great stuff, no hype, bad record....all things that should be irrelevant, but which aren't to buyers who have to deal with fanbases.

He's worthy of a Shields return, but I think you'd get a Fister return.

Then don't trade him. He's under team control extremely cheaply for 5 years. We can wait around for a top of the league quality return for him. 2.5 years from how he could be even more valuable if he snaps together a great season somewhere in there or the White Sox accidentally score more than 2 runs a game for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
Then don't trade him.

There you go.

I think you could get closer in value in a Sale trade; although probably a 1/3 of that value would be in A Ball prospects and sloughing off contracts we don't like (Sox really don't have much of that left).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
Never heard of that rumor. Abreu actually mentioned having lunch with him just last year and they have a long conversation when Puig was at 1st base in interleague play.

I'd be curious to read more on that, if it is out there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
Then don't trade him. He's under team control extremely cheaply for 5 years. We can wait around for a top of the league quality return for him. 2.5 years from how he could be even more valuable if he snaps together a great season somewhere in there or the White Sox accidentally score more than 2 runs a game for him.

Snaps together a great season? Like last year? He put up 5.3 fWAR last season and is on pace for a 4+ win season this year. Quintana is a 26 year old LH stud that is on a team friendly deal for the next 5 seasons. It's absurd to me that other MLB teams wouldn't know and understand how good he is. He will not be traded unless it's for an absolute haul.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
Snaps together a great season? Like last year? He put up 5.3 fWAR last season and is on pace for a 4+ win season this year. Quintana is a 26 year old LH stud that is on a team friendly deal for the next 5 seasons. It's absurd to me that other MLB teams wouldn't know and understand how good he is. He will not be traded unless it's for an absolute haul.

He may be unknown to the general baseball fan base but he certainly is not unknown to the front offices. Q would bring back an absolute haul if the White Sox decided to trade him. And if they don't get those sort of offers in return, Q will be going nowhere.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Does it have to be said that you would love the idea of acquiring the best prospect in baseball?

Even given Q's two extra years of cost-effective control, I would have trouble saying no to a Q-Puig swap. I also think it's funny Speigel mentioned adding in Avisail Garcia as if it makes a difference. I don't think the Dodgers would waste a roster spot on Garcia. They do a great job of getting outfielders who either have great defense, great platoon splits or both.

One for one the Sox might find that too tempting to resist. Over all though Sox management always talks about getting quality human beings also. Not that Puig is a criminal or anything like that but he does APPEAR to be somewhat self-centered.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)

People's argument for why he wouldn't be worth a top of the league value deal is that he's not well known enough. He could actually win a few games in some first half at some point and "snap together a season with a lot of wins and an all star appearance". Is that more acceptable?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 06:20 PM)
People's argument for why he wouldn't be worth a top of the league value deal is that he's not well known enough. He could actually win a few games in some first half at some point and "snap together a season with a lot of wins and an all star appearance". Is that more acceptable?

Sure but I don't think it matters. I think other major league baseball front offices know how good Jose Quintana is.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
One for one the Sox might find that too tempting to resist. Over all though Sox management always talks about getting quality human beings also. Not that Puig is a criminal or anything like that but he does APPEAR to be somewhat self-centered.

Frank Thomas was/is about as self-centered as any player around. Most guys are. I have no problem with Puig being self-centered.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Does it have to be said that you would love the idea of acquiring the best prospect in baseball?

Even given Q's two extra years of cost-effective control, I would have trouble saying no to a Q-Puig swap. I also think it's funny Speigel mentioned adding in Avisail Garcia as if it makes a difference. I don't think the Dodgers would waste a roster spot on Garcia. They do a great job of getting outfielders who either have great defense, great platoon splits or both.

Nope it doesn't have to be said, but I said it anyway. I have been a fan of Seager long before he was considered the "top prospect" in baseball. It will be fun to watch him play in the big leagues soon! The future is bright in LA with him and Joc Pederson. The fact that we have nobody near this level of talent is the reason why fans and writers keep suggesting the idea of trading Sale and Q. When your scouting and development is poor, it's time to start considering major organizational changes.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
Frank Thomas was/is about as self-centered as any player around. Most guys are. I have no problem with Puig being self-centered.

maybe you don't, but it does appear that his teammates does.

per mlb trade rumors.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
maybe you don't, but it does appear that his teammates does.

per mlb trade rumors.

Depends on how they act out that self-centeredness.

As the Dodgers teammates tire of him (per MLB trade rumors) that should mean his price should be depressed. Sox rarely buy at depressed prices (even for depressed players), but if they are of the mind, and the price really is depressed, see if you can do something around Shark. Abreu might be able to keep him straight.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Puig for Shark, Micah Johnson, and Montas?

Too much?

That's what I was thinking. Max and Marcellus did recently go over the double standard with Puig though. He runs into a wall to catch a ball, and they call him wreckless. Joc Pederson does it and they say "Oh look, Joc is giving up his body for the good of his team". Puig hits a homer and everyone acts like it's about time. They really neutered his personality and it's affected his passion for the game.

Dodgers want pitching, Sox need hitters. I proposed a few weeks ago that they should be going after Puig. I think once he's on a different team, you'll see excitement from him again.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
That's what I was thinking. Max and Marcellus did recently go over the double standard with Puig though. He runs into a wall to catch a ball, and they call him wreckless. Joc Pederson does it and they say "Oh look, Joc is giving up his body for the good of his team". Puig hits a homer and everyone acts like it's about time. They really neutered his personality and it's affected his passion for the game.

Dodgers want pitching, Sox need hitters. I proposed a few weeks ago that they should be going after Puig. I think once he's on a different team, you'll see excitement from him again.

Agreed in many respects, but, unfortunately, our clubhouse has not been a place for personalities to flourish. Hopefully that will change with a new staff next year.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Puig, Seager, Urias, and Pederson for Sale.

Not happening but I'd do it.

I am against trading Sale, as most packages seem too weak to me. That one, however, is just about the only Sale trade I would do — enthusiastically.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
I am against trading Sale, as most packages seem too weak to me. That one, however, is just about the only Sale trade I would do — enthusiastically.

For me, it's the above package and a deal with the Cubs including Bryant, Schwarber, and Soler at a minimum.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
I'll be honest, I'd trade Sale for any three in that group.

It would have to be all four and even then throw in some low level guys or absorb a bad contract. Too much bust capacity in those four products to give up a generational talent like Sale. No ones untradeable but you need to quality and quantity in any deal for Sale.