Yasiel Puig

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
pls don't get me wrong. i am with you.

but the fans see 1 side of this.

and that is why i keep saying sox fans are smarter......... we are looking at the whole picture. it is the management and FO of the dodgers that may be feed up with puig.

Ahh...I'm sure it's somewhere in between.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
Puig is so much more electric then Abreu (from marekting perspective). Puig isn't just exciting at the plate (like Abreu), he is exciting in the field (both good and bad) and on the basepaths. Puig is one of those rare guys you stop and watch because of what he can do on the field (again, both good and bad).

Sounds exactly like the type of talent a team dead last in TV ratings and practically at the bottom in attendance desperately needs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
What I don't get is that the starting pitching goes from a positive to a big negative if you trade Q and Shark. Just getting Puig wouldn't be enough to solve the offensive issues.

Because he's electric, puts butts in the seat and when he's not playing with pretentious pricks as his teammates, he has passion for the game that elevates him higher than most players in the majors. I'd definitely gamble on Puig.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 02:02 AM)
Because he's electric, puts butts in the seat and when he's not playing with pretentious pricks as his teammates, he has passion for the game that elevates him higher than most players in the majors. I'd definitely gamble on Puig.

He won't put butts in the seats if the Sox have 1 reliable starter next year and the Sox lose 85 games

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
He won't put butts in the seats if the Sox have 1 reliable starter next year and the Sox lose 85 games

If we could get Puig without moving sale that'd be nice. Shark plus prospects or Shark, Q and something for Puig, and prospects.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
Sox could still resign Jeff and go to work with Sale-Shark-Rodon-EJ-Danks with Fulmer potentially on the way.

Has this ever been done before? Trading a player at July trade deadline and then signing same guy as FA in offseason?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
Isn't Puig the pretentious prick? Which of his teammates are, other than Greinke?

I don't know about all that. I just know he brings excitement and would make this team popular and sell tickets. We need that too

Q is pretty darn good. The Sox's only hope for the future is building on this excellent starting staff. I would only trade Shark and closer Robertson off the staff. The only hope is to try again and acquire new everyday lineup guys. Trade Melky now that he's hot. Trade LaLob. Trade Lexi. Trade Eaton, but I would keep most of the starting pitching. It's really the team's only hope to ever contend again, to dominate on the mound and keep trying to find everyday players worth a s***.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:25 PM)
Q is pretty darn good. The Sox's only hope for the future is building on this excellent starting staff. I would only trade Shark and closer Robertson off the staff. The only hope is to try again and acquire new everyday lineup guys. Trade Melky now that he's hot. Trade LaLob. Trade Lexi. Trade Eaton, but I would keep most of the starting pitching. It's really the team's only hope to ever contend again, to dominate on the mound and keep trying to find everyday players worth a s***.

Sometimes to add an impact bat ya need to move an impact starter. I love Q and not thrilled about moving him, but we've shown the ability to draft and develop pitching. We can't develop hitters worth dick.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
Sometimes to add an impact bat ya need to move an impact starter. I love Q and not thrilled about moving him, but we've shown the ability to draft and develop pitching. We can't develop hitters worth dick.

This. Sox are horrible at developing everyday position players. That's their biggest need. Pitching they can do with their eyes closed. So you should trade some of that pitching to get everyday players. I wonder if you could get away with trading Shark and Melky to the Dodgers.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
This. Sox are horrible at developing everyday position players. That's their biggest need. Pitching they can do with their eyes closed. So you should trade some of that pitching to get everyday players. I wonder if you could get away with trading Shark and Melky to the Dodgers.

Good post. I'd prefer to give up Avi. Melky finally looks like a good player. But we'll see if they prefer him to Garcia.

I know Puig is a v solid player, but I would hate to give up Q. You never know how Puig reacts to the AL, we know what we have in Q.

Shark for Puig I would do. But would LA?

EDIT: Forgot LAD's stockpile of OFers.

Edited by woods of ypres

There's no way to get Puig without going through Quintana or Sale.

Why would the Dodgers want prospects/suspects when they have plenty of them already?

They want close to sure things. Guaranteed performance. They're short term needing a third/fourth starter who's reliable/dependable.

Montas and Avi are both far from that, or Tim Anderson as well. They might be willing to trade prospects for prosoects, but definitely not in this situation as the centerpiece.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)

IMO that's not enough because Shark is a rental and Melky is older. Puig is controlled through 2019. That's why I believe Q is a good match for Puig trade. I'd prefer obviously to move Shark, Avi and like Montas for Puig.