Gillaspie DFA'd; Albers called up

thedoctor

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
you could have stopped there...beckham is no platoon mate for Conor. You can make an argument for him as the 25th man but beyond that full stop.

If you've got Bonifacio, he's bumped up to 24.

If Beckham can hit his career average against lefties, he's fine as a platoon mate with his plus defense. Beckham, like Alexei, LaRoche, and Melky, has not approximated career averages. But it's beyond silly to care what deficiencies the back end of the bench have, when you consider the hitting of literally every player on the team.

Edited by Vance Law

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 12:30 AM)
Gillaspie hit .326 during the first half of last season. That's great.

Then he hit .228 the rest of that season. That's bad.

This season he's hit a total of .237 despite playing almost exclusively against RHPs, something which should have maximized his production given his righty/lefty splits last season.

So basically, Conor hasn't hit for almost a year now. Add that to his unplayably bad defense and saying he 'sucks' isn't entirely inaccurate.

last yr, he still hit and cooled off and i will say no more on that. i can offer other opinions but not with out proof.

now this yr, ok i am with you, but pls do not try to isolate 1 player this yr for poor play. practically the whole team didn't perform to what they are capable of.

i am just saying he is still relatively a young player and he is a foot problem. now i will say this, i am not a fan of his. i am indifference to whether he stays or goes. i am not buying the perception that he was dfa b/c he sucks, only.

now last yr, it was rpt and i don't know by whom, that it took a someone who wish to be friends with him, it took effort on that person.

i also remember when he made a mental error at 3b this yr.... RV just glared at him..... that was prob the last time he saw any substantial playing time at 3b.

so, i am alluding to the fact that there may be other reasons that we as fans do not know. it doesn't add up.

I really think it comes down to versatility. Conor has none, and was the first pinched when it came time to pare off the roster. Beckham and Bonifacio may have survived here, but I don't think Hahn will stress over cutting one if a better option comes back in a trade

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
last yr, he still hit and cooled off and i will say no more on that. i can offer other opinions but not with out proof.

He hit well for half a season then 'cooled off' and never really heated back up. Feel free to say more and/or offer other opinions, as I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

now this yr, ok i am with you, but pls do not try to isolate 1 player this yr for poor play. practically the whole team didn't perform to what they are capable of.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm singling Conor out or blaming him for the team's poor play this season. I simply said that he hit well for the first half of last season, is terrible on defense, and that 'sucks' isn't an entirely inaccurate description of him. All of which is true.

I wasn't talking about the whole team, I was talking about Conor because this thread is about Conor... I don't know what the rest of the team has to do in a discussion about Conor...

i am just saying he is still relatively a young player and he is a foot problem. now i will say this, i am not a fan of his. i am indifference to whether he stays or goes. i am not buying the perception that he was dfa b/c he sucks, only.

Maybe his foot problems contributed to him being DFA'd, but the fact is that his defense is unplayable at 3B and he offers no other positional versatility. He used to mash RHP and then for whatever reason couldn't hit righties in addition lefties. He always had well below-average power for a 3B as well.

What good is a righty platoon 3B who can't hit righties (or lefties) and can't play 3B or any other position? I mean, one could easily ask what's the point of keeping Bonifacio and Beckham and they'd have a point, but DFA'ing Conor is just the first step to clearing the dead weight off this roster.

now last yr, it was rpt and i don't know by whom, that it took a someone who wish to be friends with him, it took effort on that person.

I have no idea what you're talking about, and don't take this the wrong way, but English is not your first language, is it? Can you clarify what you're refering to?

i also remember when he made a mental error at 3b this yr.... RV just glared at him..... that was prob the last time he saw any substantial playing time at 3b.

And for good reason. Conor no longer deserves any sort of playing time. We made the right choice in giving Saladino an oppurtunity.

so, i am alluding to the fact that there may be other reasons that we as fans do not know. it doesn't add up.

Again, I don't follow. Conor was a crappy defender before he hurt his foot so the injury doesn't excuse that. I'm not even going to get into his hitting again.

I don't see where the conspiracy fits in. Conor was DFA'd because he couldn't hit or defend at an acceptable level, his roster spot was reduntant and wasted with Saladino, Beckham, and Bonifacio, and there are other players who deserve that roster spot over him.

Conor is not an MLB-caliber player at this point. Perhaps injuries played a part in that and maybe he'll bounce back, but DFA'ing him makes perfect sense considering the factors I already mentioned.

Is this not a lot of consternation over a player who has had only one good half of a season in his career?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:24 AM)
I really think it comes down to versatility. Conor has none, and was the first pinched when it came time to pare off the roster. Beckham and Bonifacio may have survived here, but I don't think Hahn will stress over cutting one if a better option comes back in a trade

excellent point and i totally agree..... i can't think of anything to add.

many thanks.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 05:13 AM)
He hit well for half a season then 'cooled off' and never really heated back up. Feel free to say more and/or offer other opinions, as I'm not really sure what you're getting at. the point is and i will say it again, many players would love to hit his avg and to be on a mlb team. he has some potential, he is only 27 yo, i would expect to have seen him on the dl and / or trying to perfect his hitting.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm singling Conor out or blaming him for the team's poor play this season. I simply said that he hit well for the first half of last season, is terrible on defense, and that 'sucks' isn't an entirely inaccurate description of him. All of which is true. just saying hi sucks and implying that part of the is his lack of hitting. he is but 1 yr remove from a 280 +/- hitter, at the major league level. this just doesn't add up. at least of me....

I wasn't talking about the whole team, I was talking about Conor because this thread is about Conor... I don't know what the rest of the team has to do in a discussion about Conor... b/c your and many other posters are saying it lack of production, well there are others and it should be spread cleanly over those who are not producing as well.

Maybe his foot problems contributed to him being DFA'd, but the fact is that his defense is unplayable at 3B and he offers no other positional versatility. He used to mash RHP and then for whatever reason couldn't hit righties in addition lefties. He always had well below-average power for a 3B as well. there is no either or in this. if he has a foot problem, some have seen time on the D/L. even if it meant to shelve him for the yr. his potential on offense is still there.

I have no idea what you're talking about, and don't take this the wrong way, but English is not your first language, is it? Can you clarify what you're refering to? my english is horrible.... i know that, esp if i am writing quickly or when i am extremely tired. sorry about that, it really can't be helped.

And for good reason. Conor no longer deserves any sort of playing time. We made the right choice in giving Saladino an oppurtunity. i am not making any excuses there.... i can care less in he stays or goes.... i am obsessive and this just quickly rang in my head that something else is in play. i just hate being deceived or someone trying to divert the real truth. i know this is on me. it is i see it. but lets look at it this way..... will this really matter in a few more days, weeks or even for the rest of the season...... no. i just made my statement and saying it is not adding up. but then again, who cares.

I don't see where the conspiracy fits in. Conor was DFA'd because he couldn't hit or defend at an acceptable level, his roster spot was reduntant and wasted with Saladino, Beckham, and Bonifacio, and there are other players who deserve that roster spot over him.

Is this not a lot of consternation over a player who has had only one good half of a season in his career?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:29 PM)
Unless I am reading the rules wrong, there is also the chance that they trade Bonifacio and/or Beckham within 10 days, opening up a spot for Gillaspie to be brought back to Chicago.

that could happen, except...who is going to trade for those 2?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
There has been some talk about Conor's foot issue. I really think if it was an issue that was lingering and truly causing his poor performance, the White Sox would have DL'd him. The fact that they didn't tells you the foot isn't an issue.

excellent reasoning.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
that could happen, except...who is going to trade for those 2?

for me, i love the moves that a smart fo can make.... this is, i hope, they are gong to be very creative time for the fo... i hope they are up to it.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
If you've got Bonifacio, he's bumped up to 24.

If Beckham can hit his career average against lefties, he's fine as a platoon mate with his plus defense. Beckham, like Alexei, LaRoche, and Melky, has not approximated career averages. But it's beyond silly to care what deficiencies the back end of the bench have, when you consider the hitting of literally every player on the team.

Except his GM is paying Bonifacio basically twice as much as Beckham to do pretty much nothing.

How did he end up overvaluing him by so much? We've seen the same thing happen with Keppinger, as well, fwiw.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
Except his GM is paying Bonifacio basically twice as much as Beckham to do pretty much nothing.

How did he end up overvaluing him by so much? We've seen the same thing happen with Keppinger, as well, fwiw.

i forgot about that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)

He overvalued him because he signed Beckham afterwards. There wasn't much of a reason to have both of them. Would Bonifacio be playing better with more playing time w/o Beckham? Maybe, maybe not, but having both of them on the roster is where I think the biggest problem arose.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
He overvalued him because he signed Beckham afterwards. There wasn't much of a reason to have both of them. Would Bonifacio be playing better with more playing time w/o Beckham? Maybe, maybe not, but having both of them on the roster is where I think the biggest problem arose.

this is what makes this site great....... posters able to post and have a subtle conversation about the sox. and how to look at the future.

yessss. too freaking bad, it wasn't a discussion of the sox in the playoff.

fvvck :angry:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
There has been some talk about Conor's foot issue. I really think if it was an issue that was lingering and truly causing his poor performance, the White Sox would have DL'd him. The fact that they didn't tells you the foot isn't an issue.

As I noted on the last page...with Plantar Fasciitis, that really becomes a non-option. The guy can actually still play, it just impacts his performance, and a short DL stint isn't enough for guys to get over it. It's a multi-month problem and it usually seems like it never clears up until guys get a full offseason. It's really tough to hide a guy able to play baseball on the 60 day DL.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)

Yes, there was. In our opening day roster we had 2 guys who needed to be platooned with someone who could hit right handed, LaRoche and Gillaspie. We did not have any other RH hitting options on the bench or in the organization. We absolutely needed 2 guys who could hit right handed and play somewhere in the field for this roster to work. We then needed the manager to treat both of them as platoon positions unless someone was hurt (i.e. when LaRoche has needed to play the field for Abreu). Unfortunately the latter has not happened.