Jared Fogle/Subway scandal...presumption of guilt?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Come on, you don't see the difference between a rape between a guard and a juvi inmate (a minor) and a child molester in gen pop?

They deserve it for going to jail right? Lol?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Those guards are pedophiles and should go to prison and have their fate awaiting them as well. I dont think many would believe that juveniles deserve to be raped while they are jail.

Completely agree. And from a societal perspective, pedophiles are one of, if not, the lowest scum on the earth.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
They deserve it for going to jail right? Lol?

Some deserve far worse than just going to jail, but of course, that's just my opinion. But really, rape isn't quite what enters the mind for the worst of the worst that are caught red handed/without a shadow of a doubt...I'd rather see those select few dipped in acid without painkillers so they can live their final moments in absolute pain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
That's it? I thought he got a helluva lot more than that out of the sheer number of usages of his image.

That's a number quoted in an article from some random "celebnetworth.com" website. Who knows if that's accurate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Let me say this one more carefully then in response.

While I understand your grief and your personal issues, I feel strongly that it devalues us all when we treat rape as ok under any circumstances. I will understand that not everyone will find this to be a major issue. I feel it is more important to point out precisely because it's difficult for people to stand up for the rights of people who already broke the law once. People may get annoyed with my stance on this issue and this is not the first time I've taken this stance here at ST. I do so because it's not exactly an issue people are going to be passionate about, most people are happy to ignore it and, as you note, some people will have experiences that make it particularly personal for them going the other way.

The fact that people are willing to look the other way is why it happens. Even if it's understandable that people are willing to look the other way, I feel we're a worse people for having it happen at all. In this case I can point at the U.S. bill of rights and say "this is wrong" and "two wrongs do not make something right". So even if I'm never going to get you to take an interest in this issue, I feel prison rape is something I don't want happening to anyone with my support, even my tacit acknowledgment. I'll leave it at that.

Something similar is happening in MN. There are some sex offenders who are deemed unfit for public release after their sentences are up. At that point, they get sent to the Minnesota Sex Offender Program in Moose Lake, where they are held indefinitely. It's the subject of a current federal lawsuit and the judge has found the program unconstitutional. But, Minnesota's government (governor and legislature) continues to insist the program is constitutional and they they'll fight this ruling.

This is wrong. No matter what punishment you want these people to have, make that punishment part of the sentence. Don't hand down a sentence, and when the sentence is over, say "Yeah, we're just going to keep you locked up indefinitely without recourse." But this is a population of people that everyday citizens either a) don't care what happens to them; or b) don't want to speak up in support of them in fear of getting labeled as a supporter of sex offenders. Politicians are especially susceptible to the latter.

EDIT: To be clear, it's incredibly rare someone is released from this program. Per the article, there are currently about 720 sex offenders in this program. "In the program’s 20-year history, no offender has been unconditionally discharged from the MSOP, and only four have been provisionally discharged."

Also, this: "In a long, contentious trial early this year, MSOP administrators admitted they may be detaining untold numbers of offenders who no longer meet the state’s legal requirement for confinement."

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
Now it's being reported Jared's charity was a sham as well. Never donated any money. Gave most of what it had to his cameraman, and they don't know where the rest went.

Who knew what a despicable human he was? Glad in retrospect I've always clicked channels when his subway commercials came on. Never was a fan of his "story."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Who knew what a despicable human he was? Glad in retrospect I've always clicked channels when his subway commercials came on. Never was a fan of his "story."

apparently subway knew going back in 2008 :o

(NEWSER) – Subway may have known about spokesperson Jared Fogle's alleged desire to have sex with children since 2008. At least, that's what the former owner of a Subway restaurant in Florida tells Business Insider. Cindy Mills, who was a Subway franchisee from 2006 to 2012, says Fogle started calling her every day after she met him at a company event in 2008. She says he would make inappropriate comments, telling her "he really liked them young." Mills says Fogle told her he'd had sex with child prostitutes, some as young as 9, in both Thailand and the United States and even encouraged her to prostitute herself on Craigslist.

Mills says she went to executives within the company with her concerns but was ignored. She tells Business Insider she spoke to the CEO of Subway's affiliated advertising company, which employed Fogle, and he told her Fogle had recently met a woman who would hopefully "help keep him grounded." She says she didn't go to police because she feared Fogle's "money and influence" and didn't want to lose her job. Business Insider reports Mills did request to remove all images of Fogle from her restaurant, but Subway denied that request. "Every time I would see him on TV in a commercial with his arms around these children, it would kill me," Mills says. "I couldn't stand it anymore."

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 05:32 AM)

(NEWSER) – Subway may have known about spokesperson Jared Fogle's alleged desire to have sex with children since 2008. At least, that's what the former owner of a Subway restaurant in Florida tells Business Insider. Cindy Mills, who was a Subway franchisee from 2006 to 2012, says Fogle started calling her every day after she met him at a company event in 2008. She says he would make inappropriate comments, telling her "he really liked them young." Mills says Fogle told her he'd had sex with child prostitutes, some as young as 9, in both Thailand and the United States and even encouraged her to prostitute herself on Craigslist.

Mills says she went to executives within the company with her concerns but was ignored. She tells Business Insider she spoke to the CEO of Subway's affiliated advertising company, which employed Fogle, and he told her Fogle had recently met a woman who would hopefully "help keep him grounded." She says she didn't go to police because she feared Fogle's "money and influence" and didn't want to lose her job. Business Insider reports Mills did request to remove all images of Fogle from her restaurant, but Subway denied that request. "Every time I would see him on TV in a commercial with his arms around these children, it would kill me," Mills says. "I couldn't stand it anymore."

This is crazy bad. He may be one of the most evil individuals in this history of America if this stuff is true. NINE years old??? My gosh. Is he actually the devil reincarnated? I can't even imagine how sick you have to be to want these things and admit to such activity to people.

So how many more kids suffered because she wasn't willing to risk her job to go public with this info back in 2008?

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)

Welp...if this is true and people within Subway knew about this and ignored it, that is it, I won't eat another subway sandwich again. Jersey Mike's will get my business instead.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Welp...if this is true and people within Subway knew about this and ignored it, that is it, I won't eat another subway sandwich again. Jersey Mike's will get my business instead.

I fell in love with Jersey Mike's when I worked downtown. I wish we had one out here where I work now. Subway sucks compared to them anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
I fell in love with Jersey Mike's when I worked downtown. I wish we had one out here where I work now. Subway sucks compared to them anyway.

Yeah...Jersey Mike's is so much better. If only they'd put a Jimmy John's closer to my work, then I'd have a 2nd solid option. I hadn't even heard of them and then all of a sudden a bunch of them popped up in my area. A little pricier but so so so much better then subway.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
Yeah...Jersey Mike's is so much better. If only they'd put a Jimmy John's closer to my work, then I'd have a 2nd solid option. I hadn't even heard of them and then all of a sudden a bunch of them popped up in my area. A little pricier but so so so much better then subway.

Jimmy John's is quality too. Their chips are excellent.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)

Do you think that will actually be investigated by someone?

Do you think that will actually be investigated by someone?

I don't know that there will be an official investigation, but I think there will be enough backlash to put a dent in Subway's business. I can see some of their least profitable stores closing or switching to another chain.

I feel bad for the people who own the Subway by me. They're great people, they designate one day each month for each elementary school in the area and donate all of their profit from the day to the school.