Mike Olt dfa'd by Cubs, claimed by White Sox

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
Definitely. The only question with each is are they going to hit? Sometimes it's easy to say no way, sometimes you have to think something is there. On the board the other day it said Sanchez led AL rookies in doubles. Considering how long it took him to get hits, that's pretty impressive. Saladino has struggled lately, but if we judge everyone by their first few hundred plate appearances, we would be right a lot, but miss out on some really good hitters.

I think Saladino's peak is somewhere around where Gordon Beckham peaked out after his rookie campaign. Tyler's time in the minors, he has put up decent numbers for a middle IF. No I don't expect Jason Kipnis type of numbers, but I can squint and see a ceiling of .280/.350/.400. Give him something like 12-15 homers per full season, along with 20ish doubles. It isn't great, but if the guy can play plus defense, he will win you some games.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
I think Saladino's peak is somewhere around where Gordon Beckham peaked out after his rookie campaign. Tyler's time in the minors, he has put up decent numbers for a middle IF. No I don't expect Jason Kipnis type of numbers, but I can squint and see a ceiling of .280/.350/.400. Give him something like 12-15 homers per full season, along with 20ish doubles. It isn't great, but if the guy can play plus defense, he will win you some games.

If he's playing SS and is above average with the glove, the numbers you just wrote are a 4 fWAR shortstop.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
If he's playing SS and is above average with the glove, the numbers you just wrote are a 4 fWAR shortstop.

I don't think he's a 4 WAR player. My uneducated guess is that he's a .220 to .230 hitter with 10 HR over a season; I'm not sure if he can play SS at the MLB level.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 11:42 PM)
Don't see Olt as a solution, just more of the same; Probably (maybe) a better player that Matt Davidson, but wouldn't appear to be anything more than a long-shot.

you may be right, but the sox don't have squat to man the 3b next yr. esp if you are talking about saladino - 220-240 hitter and 5 hrs.....

olt, if he can give the sox 1 yr at a mediocre hitter at 3b, until the sox can maneuver to get a player.

now don't get me wrong, i do not think he is a long term solution, hell, with his batting avg at where it is.... i don't see him breaking camp with the team.

but would it hurt????

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
I can't tell exactly what's happened with him, but he's only got 60 games in the minor leagues this year. Was he injured again? Or was he on the bench behind Bryant in the bigs and never playing?

Olt, 27, has never regained his trajectory after topping out as a prospect that rated as high as 22nd on league-wide rankings. In the midst of a disappointing 2013 season, he was dealt to Chicago as part of a package deal that sent righty Matt Garza to the Rangers. Vision issues were noted as a cause for concern at the time, and Olt has dealt with a right wrist fracture more recently.

Last season represented Olt’s first real opportunity at the big league level, in spite of that rough 2013, but he did not make the most of it. Over 258 plate appearances, Olt swatted 12 home runs but slashed just .160/.248/.356 while striking out an even 100 times.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/08/cubs...assignment.html

Never heard about the wrist fracture

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
The fact that this is a thread on September 1st this season depresses me.

Also the fact that he could probably slot in play at 3B on this team also depresses me.

Saladino is a utility player, have we not all realized this yet? I think it's so blatantly obvious. Even if we don't keep Alexei next year he shouldn't start. It should be Sanchez and Micah up the middle and someone entirely different at 3B.

In what universe is Carlos Sanchez a definite starter and Tyler Saladino a bench player?

wRC+

Tyler Saladino 63

Carlos Sanchez 63

fWar

Carlos Sanchez 0.0

Tyler Saladino 0.4

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
I remember reading that he is an average defender which is better than we ran out there the past few years.

still the sox still has no one jumping forward to make a name for themselves to take on 3b.... so it still doesn't hurt.

btw..... thanks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
What's Olt's status for next season? Does he have minor league options remaining?

nice question.

but that brings up an interesting question. if he does, then why did they not send him to the minors.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
nice question.

but that brings up an interesting question. if he does, then why did they not send him to the minors.

Apparently he got injured and was sent down for dl. Then you have bryant who's is a heck of alot better so really no need for him on the roster. Sox on the other hand are so bad at 3rd base with depth they could use him.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Uhg, I do not understand this in the least bit. If Olt gets playing time then Saladino loses playing time at 3B. Not a fan of this claim at all. Cannot believe I'm going to say this but I would rather have Gillaspie back in a Sox uni. At least Gillaspie could hit a little at the major league level.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
Uhg, I do not understand this in the least bit. If Olt gets playing time then Saladino loses playing time at 3B. Not a fan of this claim at all. Cannot believe I'm going to say this but I would rather have Gillaspie back in a Sox uni. At least Gillaspie could hit a little at the major league level.

I bet Saladino still gets most of the starts there, some DH at bats and so m at short.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)

Agreed.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

What?! Conor Gillaspie's OPS was .627 this year. That's absolutely terrible no matter which way you slice it.

Alexei is very likely out of the picture next year, so Saladino may shift over to SS, or if Sanchez plays SS, then Saladino can play 2B. Olt, assuming he's healthy, gives them a more powerful option at 3B. If Olt isn't cutting it at the major league level, then Matt Davidson can take a break from whiffing in Charlotte for a bit, or you just DFA Olt. The White Sox have nothing to lose.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
What?! Conor Gillaspie's OPS was .627 this year. That's absolutely terrible no matter which way you slice it.

Alexei is very likely out of the picture next year, so Saladino may shift over to SS, or if Sanchez plays SS, then Saladino can play 2B. Olt, assuming he's healthy, gives them a more powerful option at 3B. If Olt isn't cutting it at the major league level, then Matt Davidson can take a break from whiffing in Charlotte for a bit, or you just DFA Olt. The White Sox have nothing to lose.

Nice post!

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)

And Olt's OPS is .521 this year. Your point is? :unsure:

Olt: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oltmi01.shtml

No matter how you slice it, this move makes zero sense and the Sox have nothing to gain by giving a 4A player some playing time.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
And Olt's OPS is .521 this year. Your point is? :unsure:

Olt: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oltmi01.shtml

No matter how you slice it, this move makes zero sense and the Sox have nothing to gain by giving a 4A player some playing time.

You are absolutely correct. In 6 games, and 15 at-bats, Olt's OPS is indeed .521. He OPS'd .823 in the minors for about 1/2 the season, missing time due to a broken wrist. Give him some time, and see if he can hit. Again, the White Sox have nothing at all to lose.