Mike Olt dfa'd by Cubs, claimed by White Sox

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Probably not, or he would be in Cubbie AAA - right?

I'm glad they're bringing him up - find out what they have. Probably nothing, but the Sox have nothing at 3rd anyway.

Meanwhile, would someone kindly tell Don Ventura to sit Alexei for the rest of the season and let Saladino or Sanchez work at short?

He was released by the Cubs because they wanted to add another player to their 40 man roster and needed a slot, not because he was out of options. He was in their minor leagues this year so presumably he burned an option this year.

Anyone know if he has a minor league option remaining for next year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
He was released by the Cubs because they wanted to add another player to their 40 man roster and needed a slot, not because he was out of options. He was in their minor leagues this year so presumably he burned an option this year.

Anyone know if he has a minor league option remaining for next year?

You know, I scoured the net trying to find this out for certain and came up empty. This is the third year Olt has been optioned so he should be out of options but I know there is criteria for a player to potentially have a fourth option. Just do not know if Olt meets that criteria.

According to wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leagu...ll_transactions

"A team may have a fourth option year on a player with less than five full seasons of professional experience, provided that both conditions below are met.

A player has not spent at least 90 days on an active professional roster in a season. Minor leagues that play below Class A Advanced have seasons that are shorter than 90 days, and as such, any player who spends a full season in a rookie or Class A (short-season) league will receive a fourth option year.

A player has not spent at least 60 days on an active professional roster AND then at least 30 days on a disabled list in a season. Only after 60 days have been spent on an active professional roster does time spent on the disabled list count towards the 90-day threshold. As with the prior example, this cannot occur with players who spend a full season in a rookie or Class A (short season) league.

Once all of the options have been used up on a player, a player is considered "out of options" and a player must be placed on and clear waivers prior to being sent down to the minor leagues (there is also the "veterans' consent" rule; see below)."

Hopefully someone that speaks Baseball better than I can help us Sox fans out with this. To me, it sounds like Olt is out of options.

Edited by BlackSox13

I like that this at least implies that they don't intend to start Saladino over there next year. I'd be fine with Saladino starting at short if they go that route. But at least they intend to have someone who can hit better than a middle infielder. I'm pretty confident it won't be Olt. I think anyone clamoring for Davidson to be given a shot is legally insane. Davidson is a worse version of Olt, and Olt is a bad enough Olt.

If they think Zobrist can handle 3rd (he's played there a bit this year, played a fair amount of SS last year) I hope they do what they can to get him. Other than him on the free agent market there's Daniel Murphy, Juan Uribe, and if you get down to David Freese you might as well just keep Saladino there. I can also imagine that Josh Harrison would be gettable in a trade as he's basically a utility guy in Pirates current setup. He was pretty great when given a full time job in 2014.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)
I like that this at least implies that they don't intend to start Saladino over there next year. I'd be fine with Saladino starting at short if they go that route. But at least they intend to have someone who can hit better than a middle infielder. I'm pretty confident it won't be Olt. I think anyone clamoring for Davidson to be given a shot is legally insane. Davidson is a worse version of Olt, and Olt is a bad enough Olt.

If they think Zobrist can handle 3rd (he's played there a bit this year, played a fair amount of SS last year) I hope they do what they can to get him. Other than him on the free agent market there's Daniel Murphy, Juan Uribe, and if you get down to David Freese you might as well just keep Saladino there. I can also imagine that Josh Harrison would be gettable in a trade as he's basically a utility guy in Pirates current setup. He was pretty great when given a full time job in 2014.

If the Pirates move someone from their infield I'd say 80% the odds are it would be Neil Walker, their 2b. Aramis is retiring so he's out of the way, Kang can play an above average 2b, they've got Jordy Mercer who is a solid defensive SS but whose bat has been up and down, and Harrison. Harrison as a super sub is fine and he's great in that role, but Walker is a free agent after next season, which makes him the #1 guy they'd think about moving. Harrison just signed a new deal before this season, so if you want him instead of Walker you're going to have to pay through the teeth for it.

Good chance that they'll be looking to see if they can swap Walker for a mid-rotation starter this offseason. Harrison, you're not going to want to hear the price because it won't be a fair one.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)

I don't know why, but to me, Zobrist screams ".230 hitter" for the Sox. Just the type of thing where a guy has a good track record but struggles here. Same with Harrison- I wouldn't say 2014 was an anomaly for him, but I don't see him ever having a season as good as that one again. I think his 2015 numbers are more indicative of the player he really is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 07:12 PM)
If the Pirates move someone from their infield I'd say 80% the odds are it would be Neil Walker, their 2b. Aramis is retiring so he's out of the way, Kang can play an above average 2b, they've got Jordy Mercer who is a solid defensive SS but whose bat has been up and down, and Harrison. Harrison as a super sub is fine and he's great in that role, but Walker is a free agent after next season, which makes him the #1 guy they'd think about moving. Harrison just signed a new deal before this season, so if you want him instead of Walker you're going to have to pay through the teeth for it.

Good chance that they'll be looking to see if they can swap Walker for a mid-rotation starter this offseason. Harrison, you're not going to want to hear the price because it won't be a fair one.

Good point, I didn't realize they signed Harrison to that deal which they are probably regretting now. Worth 5 WAR last year and .6 WAR and doesn't have a starting job this year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
I don't know why, but to me, Zobrist screams ".230 hitter" for the Sox. Just the type of thing where a guy has a good track record but struggles here. Same with Harrison- I wouldn't say 2014 was an anomaly for him, but I don't see him ever having a season as good as that one again. I think his 2015 numbers are more indicative of the player he really is.

That's because he's 35 and the Sox record with >30 is pretty bad.

Neil Walker himself is 30; like to see someone younger. Has bad defensive metrics, FWIW. And he'd be a 1 year rent. Pass. Pirates would never get a mid-rotation starter for him anyway.

Not the kind of players I'd trade young pitching for.

Prefer to take a different approach than "proven veteran."

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Good point, I didn't realize they signed Harrison to that deal which they are probably regretting now. Worth 5 WAR last year and .6 WAR and doesn't have a starting job this year.

A big part of that for Harrison is injury, he was just starting to turn it on in May and June then lost 6 weeks with a freak injury (broken bone IIRC). By the time he was back Kang was on such a tear that he just couldn't be replaced. It's not big money, it' slike $25 million over 5 years or something like that, so you're not 100% mad that "guy who is on fire has taken his spot because you're winning more games". Long term it could be an issue but he's still shown plenty of signs of being the player he was last year, just a rough year overall for him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
That's because he's 35 and the Sox record with >30 is pretty bad.

Neil Walker himself is 30; like to see someone younger. Has bad defensive metrics, FWIW. And he'd be a 1 year rent. Pass. Pirates would never get a mid-rotation starter for him anyway.

Not the kind of players I'd trade young pitching for.

Prefer to take a different approach than "proven veteran."

Actually, if the White Sox had a weak 2b spot which they don't...you know the kind of guy who would make sense for the Pirates in exchange for Walker? John Danks. They're going to be looking for a 1 year rental because Glasnow and perhaps Taillon could be guys taking slots in their 2017 rotation and they've had a good record rehabilitating pitchers. Doesn't match up very well given the 2 rosters and the White Sox having 2 young 2b, but that's the kind of return they might see fit for Walker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Actually, if the White Sox had a weak 2b spot which they don't...you know the kind of guy who would make sense for the Pirates in exchange for Walker? John Danks. They're going to be looking for a 1 year rental because Glasnow and perhaps Taillon could be guys taking slots in their 2017 rotation and they've had a good record rehabilitating pitchers. Doesn't match up very well given the 2 rosters and the White Sox having 2 young 2b, but that's the kind of return they might see fit for Walker.

Danks has a pretty restricted contract for trading him. I doubt the Pirates would be a team on his short list.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
Danks has a pretty restricted contract for trading him. I doubt the Pirates would be a team on his short list.

I don't think the fit works since the White Sox have 2 guys to play 2b, that's just an example of the kind of guy they'd look for.