Avasail Garcia

mataipaepae

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
and don't get me wrong, I love Avi and I think that he still has a ton of potential. There are just a few things he could work on and he'd be a great player. Although I don't ever see him being elite if he can't hit a high fastball.

What if he learned not to swing at them?

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
He literally just blocked me on Twitter last night because I told him that he needs to learn how to hit a high fastball.

Haha.

He should block you. He doesn't know you. Anything the least bit negative I'd block people too if I were famous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
What if he learned not to swing at them?

I think his walk rate, batting average, and on base percentage would all go up, while his strikeout rate would remain the same.

But like a previous post said, I don't think it's possible for him to lay off those high ones.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Plus watching him at 1B makes you think Conor Gillaspie probably looks like a good defensive 3B compared to what Abreu would be over there.

I really don't get why people think Abreu is bad at 1st base...

This.. to me is where rankings and advanced stats and Bill James crap start to mess with people.

Abreu has turned so many double plays.. More than I can remember Konerko every doing (but maybe I just don't remember).

LaRoche is supposed to be a gold glove 1b and when he has been in there he has been no better or worse than Abreu.

I'm not saying Abreu is a gold glover... but I really fail to see how people think he is bad.. I know his numbers are low but I just can't remember thinking hardly any times where his defense has been a liability or cost us games.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
I just thought a grown man wouldn't be so sensitive. That's it. It is what it is.

He probably doesn't want to argue with some random fan on Twitter... kind of a smart play on his part.

That being said...

He really needs to fix a lot of things or else he will soon be a player no one remembers.

However he is young so he still can find it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Better idea with Avi is to try and find a GM that still believes in his talent and do a talented, but unproductive player swap.

I would love to see a Avi for Profar swap, Profar is heading off to the AFL and with the glut of infielders in texas it would be a great time to buy low. Gallo is blocked at 3B by beltre, Odor is holding down 2B and Andrus and his contract aren't going anywhere, they've got some promising outfield prospects but Mazara projects as more of a RF & Lewis Brinson as a CF. Hamilton is hurt and they're trying Napoli in left field.

QUOTE (harkness @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
I really don't get why people think Abreu is bad at 1st base...

This.. to me is where rankings and advanced stats and Bill James crap start to mess with people.

Abreu has turned so many double plays.. More than I can remember Konerko every doing (but maybe I just don't remember).

LaRoche is supposed to be a gold glove 1b and when he has been in there he has been no better or worse than Abreu.

I'm not saying Abreu is a gold glover... but I really fail to see how people think he is bad.. I know his numbers are low but I just can't remember thinking hardly any times where his defense has been a liability or cost us games.

I agree for the most part. I think Abreu is as good as Konerko was, except Konerko had an uncanny ability to dig out bad throws. But Abreu has better range. However, I think LaRoche is better. He makes a lot of tough plays looks pretty easy. It's a shame that he can't hit this year, otherwise we probably would see more of him there.

But to say Abreu is terrible at first sounds to me like just trying to find something to complain about him. Gold glover? No. Serviceable? Yes.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
His bat doesn't play at third, either.

He needs to get better, simple as that. If he doesn't we don't want him ANYWHERE on the diamond.

His bat would be fine if you gave it to a player that contributed average defense. The problem, if you think of it in WAR terms, is that he can have a ~1.5 WAR bat and still be a 0 WAR player because of his defense.

I think if Garcia works hard in the off season of his angles, he would be a better outfielder. Right now, he is above average. How much is subjective. Another area he should look to improve upon is his ability to know the strike zone. Any pitch above the hands is a ball. Abreau and Thompson both can't hit sliders.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 06:44 AM)
His bat would be fine if you gave it to a player that contributed average defense. The problem, if you think of it in WAR terms, is that he can have a ~1.5 WAR bat and still be a 0 WAR player because of his defense.

Even with average defense it wouldn't play in RF. At 3B with average defense he'd be an average-ish player.

But listen to what we're talking about. If Avisail's defense improved a miraculous ~15 runs while being moved to a more difficult position he's never played, he might be an average-ish player.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
I just thought a grown man wouldn't be so sensitive. That's it. It is what it is.

If a 16 year old tweeted at me telling me how to become a better teacher, I'd probably block them as well. He's not being sensitive. He doesn't have time to deal with dopes. I think he knows that if he doesn't get much better, it'll be a short career. They are professionals.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
If a 16 year old tweeted at me telling me how to become a better teacher, I'd probably block them as well. He's not being sensitive. He doesn't have time to deal with dopes. I think he knows that if he doesn't get much better, it'll be a short career. They are professionals.

Which would suck because he has all the talent in the world, but he just hasn't figured it out yet.

I'm hoping that he'll make me eat my words and he'll become a star, but that possibility is looking less and less possible each passing day...

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Which would suck because he has all the talent in the world, but he just hasn't figured it out yet.

I'm hoping that he'll make me eat my words and he'll become a star, but that possibility is looking less and less possible each passing day...

I usually wait until 1,500-2,000 ML at-bats but what I've seen to this point isn't very promising.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
I usually wait until 1,500-2,000 ML at-bats but what I've seen to this point isn't very promising.

My feelings exactly. He is now Dayan Viciedo 2.0 until proven otherwise and his 2016 is now the exact same scenario as Dayan's 2014. Time to s*** (get above replacement level) or get off the pot (roster).

Oh wait the Sox are so thin with hitting prospects they resigned Viciedo. Time is a flat circle on the South Side.