Hawk only doing road games

flavum

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
What about someone like Matt Vasgersian?

I like him as an announcer, although I doubt that he'll move from the FOX broadcasts to the Sox ones.

Was going to mention him since I would definitely want him. He probably wouldn't leave MLB Network or his other game calling for the Sox, especially part time.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
Was going to mention him since I would definitely want him. He probably wouldn't leave MLB Network or his other game calling for the Sox, especially part time.

Dave Revsine would be cool. Even though he's on Big Ten Network.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
I am going to be so depressed when Hawk finally hangs up the mic for good.

I love him so much and he's a great announcer. Sox games won't be the same without him.

I know man. I feel like Hawk is my second dad. He taught me one-liners & hyperbole.

It is possible they bring up an announcer from the minors, just like they do with players. The Sox have a few good ones, though the best ones (in my opinion) are in the lower levels (the A ball teams have terrific ones). Not the most likely scenario, but a guy like Tommy Viola from Charlotte is not out of the question.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 6m6 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Breaking news Hawk Harrelson to cut back to 81 broadcasts in 2016 . 78 road -home opening day and two Cub home games . ( industry sources )

Realistically, it's probably going to be more like 65 road games; I think he's had medical issues the last few years, and just being a year old, would have to think the travel would be an issue in itself.

I hope they have something in the contract about him wanting to do more games at some point if the White Sox are good next season. Will they allow for that or hold him to his contract?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
I really like Pods when he was in the booth. All in all I hope we see some one a little younger that understands stats beyond batting average and RBI's

Wasn't Pods the one who sounded like he was announcing the game from a golf course? All hushed up.

Man, I probably heard something differently that you; not a fan of him, and generally speaking, hope they bring in a true play by play guy.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
What's his deal? I heard him at the end of his show saturday (literally last two minutes) sounded like he was signing off for good. Thanking his parents for all the support, saying the show had a good run the last 10 years etc etc. He's definitely leaving something, but since I caught so little wasn't sure if it was 670 to the new station, the sox, or both.

Sox are moving to WLS 890 - doesn't sound like he's in the moving plans.

I'm not sure if he turned down an opportunity, wasn't asked, and/or was looking for something different, but he's now a weekend host, occasionally a weekday update guy. Sounds like a step in the wrong direction if that's what his future holds.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
I think this signals the return of Steve Stone as well. I can't imagine an entire new broadcast team at home, and then someone new to Hawk joining him on the road. I think it expands Stone's ability to work well with a PBP guy who will leverage his knowledge a little bit more, while providing continuity for Hawk on the road with a partner he's familiar with.

This could be a great move IF they do exactly what you suggested; I think there's at least a 50% chance they have some ex-Sox player in the booth who can't speak though.

Didn't he say the same thing last year? And then after all of the off season acquisitions were done, he changed his mind. So what if JR gets the (you know what's) and decides to eat LaRoche's contract, and acquire some REAL big time help and thunder. You don't think that Hawk will get the ITCH back in him, along with the issues of all of this years disgust being behind us.............and he starts to BELIEVE in our product again?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
Wasn't Pods the one who sounded like he was announcing the game from a golf course? All hushed up.

Man, I probably heard something differently that you; not a fan of him, and generally speaking, hope they bring in a true play by play guy.

Yes.

If they decide to go with the former player route, I'd much rather have the analyst be Rowand or Anderson rather than Pods.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
Didn't he say the same thing last year? And then after all of the off season acquisitions were done, he changed his mind. So what if JR gets the (you know what's) and decides to eat LaRoche's contract, and acquire some REAL big time help and thunder. You don't think that Hawk will get the ITCH back in him, along with the issues of all of this years disgust being behind us.............and he starts to BELIEVE in our product again?

I would assume that this would be part of the contract, and they will come to an agreement early this off-season. Last season, it was the off-season moves that convinced Hawk to come back for a full season; I think, this time around, the organization would want this finalized early on so they find his road replacement.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
I am going to be so depressed when Hawk finally hangs up the mic for good.

I love him so much and he's a great announcer. Sox games won't be the same without him.

I worship him, too, but I don't understand this one. I mean, he's got to be rich beyond belief. Stay in a hotel for half the home games. So you stay 45 nights in a hotel at 200 bucks a night (check Air B and B and you could probably get a really nice condo for 200 a night). That's 9,000 bucks. At Hawk's age, 9000 bucks is obviously like 50 bucks to the normal Joe. Not even an annoyance. You might even be able to write it off on your taxes.

The other home games, suck it up and drive home and back as you've done the last many years. It's only April through October. I don't understand how the team would OK him only doing road games. Just seems ridiculous.

That said, I'd go for Stone as lead announcer on all home games with somebody like Paciorek or Frank Thomas or AJP or Buehrle joining the team as home games color man. On the road, it's Hawk as play by play guy with Stone; and Farmer/DJ as radio crew.

Edited by greg775