MLBTradeRumors Offseason Outlook

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
I'll find the article but I thought he was talking different than being surprised. I thought he was pissed off. Maybe I'm wrong.

“I was shocked, we all were, by Tulo getting traded. I’m hurt. Tulo’s been the one guy who has been by my side ever since I was in (Single-A) Asheville. It’s disappointing. That is not the guy I wanted to see go . . . I don’t know any of these dudes we got. But I think if we were going to trade Tulo, I would think it would be for an ace, an established veteran pitcher. Obviously we are starting to rebuild from the ground up.”

He was surprised and upset by losing his friend and mentor but he did not speak negatively about the Rockies organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
They aren't trading him. That's the bottom line.

Yep and with the Rockies holding control over him through the '19 season there's no reason to trade him at this point. IMO, if the Rockies trade Arenado it won't be until after the '16 season when they have had another year to evaluate McMahon who's earliest projection is the '17 season. That would still leave three years of team control over Arenado which would still hold plenty of value on the trade market IF the Rockies decided to trade Arenado. They could wait until after the '17 season, trade him with two years of control left ( like Beane) and still get a haul.

There's just no reason for the Rockies to trade Arenado right now.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arenado would cost a fortune, and I'd be a bit wary. His road numbers in 2012-2014 are uninspiring, and though he hit more HR on the road this year than at home he still had an OBP of less than .300 on the road in 2015. For what he would cost to acquire, not sure I like that risk.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
“I was shocked, we all were, by Tulo getting traded. I’m hurt. Tulo’s been the one guy who has been by my side ever since I was in (Single-A) Asheville. It’s disappointing. That is not the guy I wanted to see go . . . I don’t know any of these dudes we got. But I think if we were going to trade Tulo, I would think it would be for an ace, an established veteran pitcher. Obviously we are starting to rebuild from the ground up.”

He was surprised and upset by losing his friend and mentor but he did not speak negatively about the Rockies organization.

Yep and with the Rockies holding control over him through the '19 season there's no reason to trade him at this point. IMO, if the Rockies trade Arenado it won't be until after the '16 season when they have had another year to evaluate McMahon who's earliest projection is the '17 season. That would still leave three years of team control over Arenado which would still hold plenty of value on the trade market IF the Rockies decided to trade Arenado. They could wait until after the '17 season, trade him with two years of control left ( like Beane) and still get a haul.

There's just no reason for the Rockies to trade Arenado right now.

Ok ya that's what I was thinking of. Well he didn't come out and curse the organization but he wasn't happy at all. Never say never in this league. This team will have offers and good ones when they're trying to move Quintana.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
Ok ya that's what I was thinking of. Well he didn't come out and curse the organization but he wasn't happy at all. Never say never in this league. This team will have offers and good ones when they're trying to move Quintana.

Q is another subject we might not see eye to eye my man. Unless the Sox are offered a haul they just cannot pass up, I think Q will be the #2 for the '16 White Sox. I doubt seriously the Sox are shopping Q. Just my opinion is all.

One thing I'd like to point out is that this will be my third off season on this board and the third off season in which some members wanted to trade Q. I still remember the trade Q for Jason Castro idea a few years ago and thank goodness that didn't happen. :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Q is another subject we might not see eye to eye my man. Unless the Sox are offered a haul they just cannot pass up, I think Q will be the #2 for the '16 White Sox. I doubt seriously the Sox are shopping Q. Just my opinion is all.

One thing I'd like to point out is that this will be my third off season on this board and the third off season in which some members wanted to trade Q. I still remember the trade Q for Jason Castro idea a few years ago and thank goodness that didn't happen. :lol:

For the record, this is the first time I've wanted to trade him. Q is one of my favorite players. Has always been. But, we need an impact bat. I really doubt were signing Upton, Cespedes or Heyward. My pipe dream with Rockies is just that. Q is probably more likely to be dealt to the Dodgers for Puig.

And yes, thankfully that trade didn't happen.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
I like the names mentioned as ideas:

Brandon Phillips

Neil Walker

Juan Uribe

David Freese

Daniel Murphy

Javier Baez

Starlin Castro

Jason Heyward

Justin Upton

Yoenis Cespedes

Alex Gordon

Dexter Fowler

Denard Span

Gerardo Parra

Austin Jackson

Steve Pearce

Colby Rasmus.

I hate a lot of those names in the first group.

Brndon Phillips-Old, expensive and not that good

Neil Walker-Fathom called him a total white sox player. I agree though I wouldn't hate this if Pirates are tired of him

Juan Uribe- Way too old. NL player now.

David Freese- I'd actually like this one.

Daniel Murphy-I'd be cool with him

Javier Baez-No thanks. Cubs will ask a lot. Don't think he's great.

Starlin Castro-No no no no.

For the outfield, I'd love to finish in 4th place in the race for a top OFer. That'll probably be Gordon, but may be Upton at this rate. Heyward and Cespedes will likely be too expensive.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
For the record, this is the first time I've wanted to trade him. Q is one of my favorite players. Has always been. But, we need an impact bat. I really doubt were signing Upton, Cespedes or Heyward. My pipe dream with Rockies is just that. Q is probably more likely to be dealt to the Dodgers for Puig.

I hear ya and wasn't trying to direct the trade Q stuff at anyone directly, just find the humor of it after three off seasons is all.

I agree that the Sox won't be signing any of those FA bats, just too costly for a team that does not appear to have the funds, though I can't say that for sure since I don't work in the Sox FO, lol. Puig is an interesting possibility with his recent injury, sort of a down season but he is a bit of a head case and ihmo I'd rather not trade Q for him. Also, the Dodgers have a seemingly endless amount of money so they can easily sign a FA pitcher like Price, Cueto or Zimmermann without giving up Puig and they will have McCarthy back next season too. I think it's more likely the Dodgers look to trade Crawford ( good luck, lol) or Ethier to keep Puig in the lineup more often. From a Dodgers stand point, it would make more sense to try and trade one of those older high salary veterans instead of youth. They are likely stuck with Crawford but they should be able to move Ethier.

I admit that I probably over value Q a bit but when the Sox find a pitcher that can put up his numbers at the Cell, I find it difficult to trade him. Plus, it won't be easy for the Sox to replace his production without going to the FA market and that will cost much more than Q's salary.

They really are in a bind with the contracts of Danks, LaRoche, Robertson and Melky. Those four will combine for 52.25M in 2016, yikes!

I honestly don't know what the hell they are going to do. Gonna take some serious creativity to try and make the '16 team a contender.

Edited by BlackSox13

LaRoche's bat is more likely to come back than Melky's defense.

I'd trade Melky if the Sox could get even 50% of the money due in return. He is a DH vs RHP and emergency outfielder ONLY going forward.

Laroche is obviously worthless, but since we have first right of refusal we might as well give him the shot. If Adam were on another team, and available for nothing, people here would be calling for the Sox to take a flier on him... so it might as well be us.

There isn't going to be any perfect fixes for third base this offseason, so whatever the Sox do, I hope it is a Lefty/Righty platoon with only a one season commitment.

Cespedes & Heyward both possess and all around game that doesn't become available on the Free Agent market very often. I can't imagine there is money for either of them but if you are going to overpay, they are as good of candidates as there have been or will be for awhile.

I doubt LaRoche plays much against lefties next season, I see Thompson getting the starts in the OF and Melky moving to DH when that happens, so there's at least a reasonable chance LaRoche can be productive next season in a platoon. It's a lot more justifiable when he's in the last year of his contract.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
I'm not sure Colorado would trade Arenado for Sale straight up. Maybe since they need pitching so badly, but that's how valuable pre-arb positional stars are.

Colorado would kill for Chris Sale. They can't attract pitching to save their lives. Adding Cargo was a bit of stretch, but I certainly not as big of stretch as adding Q, Fulmer and Abreu.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I think that one is the most realistic of any of the trade proposals on this site so far

2 years ago, everyone would do it in a heartbeat. Now, I would probably do it if the Dodgers were also willing to eat a bad contract or 2. That doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Jason Heyward is probably going to get a huge deal, but I would love for the Sox to sign him.

Just turned 26. Plus offense and plus defense.

I don't know why I thought he was older. I agree, though, I'd like to see him on the Sox. But for the money he will most likely be commanding, I don't see it happening.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
I'd go up to 8/160 for Heyward. But I think he gets more. And some team will offer him an opt-out after 4.

Yeah, I don't see anyway that Heyward signs for that little. When all is said and done, I expect $200 million to be on the agenda.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
I think some people want the Sox to tear it down and get a bunch of young guys. Others want the Sox to acquire a bunch of veterans through FA. I prefer that the Sox do a little bit of both.

1.) One big expenditure. Preferably a guy who doesn't have a QO attached. For the right price, I think you can make an exception for a guy like Justin Upton who the FO covets. Seems like a lot of people are down on him so if you could get him for 6/120ish that's a nice deal for a guy who's averaged almost 4 WAR/year that past five years.

2.) Steve Pearce. He had a .233 BABIP which is 7th worst for players who had 300 PAs. His ISO is still over .200. You sign him cheapish to be the RH side of the DH platoon with LaRoche. He played at least 100 innings at 1B, OF and 2B for the Orioles last year. Give him a role in a position he should succeed in (hitting LHP) and if he excels there is more opportunity available. If his BABIP normalizes, which I suspect it will, he can be a great pick up. At the very least he's a cheap power option who cold hit 20HRs.

3.) Trade pitching for some YOUTH on the offense. If it's Q that goes, get multiple pieces that can step in and potentially join the core of Abreu/Eaton.

I wonder where we come up with the money for a big signing. Reading between the lines of what Hahn has already said, I think they already know they are taking a big hit at the box office over what was expected, and aren't going to have the money for splash. I am hoping for more of a 2005 surgical strike with some targeted signings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
I wonder where we come up with the money for a big signing. Reading between the lines of what Hahn has already said, I think they already know they are taking a big hit at the box office over what was expected, and aren't going to have the money for splash. I am hoping for more of a 2005 surgical strike with some targeted signings.

I wonder if they care at all about the Cubs taking over the city? maybe that doesn't matter at all. If they do ... I'd suspect they gotta make some huge moves!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
I think some people want the Sox to tear it down and get a bunch of young guys. Others want the Sox to acquire a bunch of veterans through FA. I prefer that the Sox do a little bit of both.

1.) One big expenditure. Preferably a guy who doesn't have a QO attached. For the right price, I think you can make an exception for a guy like Justin Upton who the FO covets. Seems like a lot of people are down on him so if you could get him for 6/120ish that's a nice deal for a guy who's averaged almost 4 WAR/year that past five years.

2.) Steve Pearce. He had a .233 BABIP which is 7th worst for players who had 300 PAs. His ISO is still over .200. You sign him cheapish to be the RH side of the DH platoon with LaRoche. He played at least 100 innings at 1B, OF and 2B for the Orioles last year. Give him a role in a position he should succeed in (hitting LHP) and if he excels there is more opportunity available. If his BABIP normalizes, which I suspect it will, he can be a great pick up. At the very least he's a cheap power option who cold hit 20HRs.

3.) Trade pitching for some YOUTH on the offense. If it's Q that goes, get multiple pieces that can step in and potentially join the core of Abreu/Eaton.

4.) Have an international presence. There is a big opportunity for the July 2 International period this year. Do something the team has never done and blow past the limits. Look to Cuba and Asia.

Isn't that what they have been trying to do for the last nine years? Not trying to be snide or sarcastic but this sounds like more of the same that hasn't worked.

Commit to a plan and stay there come hell or high water. I'd prefer a tear down but at this point I'll take that or a complete 'go for it' charge regardless of how much it costs.

Mark

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
They offered Samardzija ~90 million. Danks and LaRoche off the books after 2015 is almost 30 million off the books. Sox attendance went up over 1,000 per game from '14-'15. They were over 130 million in 2012 and 2014 and that's over 150 million in today's market. That's not including the profits they've mades since then. Sox operating costs are minuscule. The one thing that is worrisome about the Sox money situation is the lack of advertising interest with the team. The Sox have serious money coming to them in 2019 so if they have to back load a deal to make it happen it shouldn't be an issue. That's basically protocol for most teams anyways.

Danks and LaRoche are on the books through 2016, not 2015.

The Samardjiza offer was made with the idea that fans would actually care about the team in 2016, and that was before 2015 happened.

Do you think attendance goes up or down in 2016?

The White Sox came home with a $32 million profit for last season (2014). They spent $28 million more in payroll going from 2014 to 2015, so most of that profit was spent. The question is two fold, how much more revenue did they generate in 2015, and how much of it to they expect to stick around in 2016? I wouldn't expect much.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
They offered Samardzija ~90 million. Danks and LaRoche off the books after 2015 is almost 30 million off the books. Sox attendance went up over 1,000 per game from '14-'15. They were over 130 million in 2012 and 2014 and that's over 150 million in today's market. That's not including the profits they've mades since then. Sox operating costs are minuscule. The one thing that is worrisome about the Sox money situation is the lack of advertising interest with the team. The Sox have serious money coming to them in 2019 so if they have to back load a deal to make it happen it shouldn't be an issue. That's basically protocol for most teams anyways.

The new signage might improve their advertising revenue. I also think the organization will be very motivated to build up interest in the team prior to their TV deal expiring, which could mean going into the red a bit for a few years.

BTW, love the Upton idea. I'd rather have him than Heyward given I expect their costs to be.