White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
It isn't logical you could get something for LaRoche or even much salary relief if it is assumed he will be as horrible next season. If it only saves them a million or so, they are better off seeing if he can bounce back. Baseball Prospectus really thought he would age decently last year. He had one of his highest walk rates and lowest k rates in 2014. Maybe it was just the adjustment to the AL and to DHing that threw him off a bit, but unless there is some real savings, getting rid of him just to get rid of him makes little sense to me. He is a highly respected teammate.

I think the adjustments you mentioned were a big part of it, but I don't think was healthy last year either, at least in the 2nd half of the season. Honestly, unless a team is willing to take on a good $8M or so of his deal, there is no reason to move him right now. I'd rather give him a few months to start 2016 in a strict platoon scenario and with a good portion of his starts at 1B. If he flops again, then move Melky to DH full-time and give Trayce an opportunity as an everyday regular.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
I think the adjustments you mentioned were a big part of it, but I don't think was healthy last year either, at least in the 2nd half of the season. Honestly, unless a team is willing to take on a good $8M or so of his deal, there is no reason to move him right now. I'd rather give him a few months to start 2016 in a strict platoon scenario and with a good portion of his starts at 1B. If he flops again, then move Melky to DH full-time and give Trayce an opportunity as an everyday regular.

I'd also like to get him more games at 1B, even if it's 2-3 games a week on the field. Obviously, if he doesn't produce, then he goes to a occasional DH/backup/pinch-hitting role, but he probably needs extended at bats to find out either way if he'll be more productive.

I clicked the link, a window opens but the page never shows up. Anyone care to summarize?

Anyway. The idea of trading LaRoche is a novel one, I mean, like that hadn't been thought of already. As others have said, who the hell would want LaRoche? Nobody. Just accept that at this point LaRoche is not tradable and will be on the 25 man roster come opening day. Maybe LaRoche gets some at bats and hits well enough to be traded July/August but otherwise I've accepted he will be with the Sox next year and only LaRoche can change that.

Just to show how much negative value LaRoche has, the Pirates are speculated to non tender Alvarez. A guy that actually hit 27 HR's with an OPS near .800 and expected to earn just over 8M. LaRoche is going to make 13M coming off a season in which he hit 12 HR's and a .634 OPS.

What team would be dumb enough to trade for LaRoche and why?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I clicked the link, a window opens but the page never shows up. Anyone care to summarize?

Anyway. The idea of trading LaRoche is a novel one, I mean, like that hadn't been thought of already. As others have said, who the hell would want LaRoche? Nobody. Just accept that at this point LaRoche is not tradable and will be on the 25 man roster come opening day. Maybe LaRoche gets some at bats and hits well enough to be traded July/August but otherwise I've accepted he will be with the Sox next year and only LaRoche can change that.

Just to show how much negative value LaRoche has, the Pirates are speculated to non tender Alvarez. A guy that actually hit 27 HR's with an OPS near .800 and expected to earn just over 8M. LaRoche is going to make 13M coming off a season in which he hit 12 HR's and a .634 OPS.

No team will take him based purely on a want; it would have to be to trade one bad contract for another, and hope a change of scenery makes a difference.

I haven't looked, but I'm not even sure what teams have gaping holes at 1B (or DH) and who have a similar player/contract to exchange back at a position that the Sox can use (3B/SS probably).

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)

The difference between the Pirates and the White Sox is the DH. Pedro Alvarez is a horrid defender and that is the reason that he may be non-tendered. Any value that his bat has is completely negated by his defense. If the Pirates had a DH spot in the lineup that's where he would be. That being said, I think AL teams would be better off looking at Alvarez and NL teams at LaRoche.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
No team will take him based purely on a want; it would have to be to trade one bad contract for another, and hope a change of scenery makes a difference.

I haven't looked, but I'm not even sure what teams have gaping holes at 1B (or DH) and who have a similar player/contract to exchange back at a position that the Sox can use (3B/SS probably).

I haven't looked either, just going off the top of my head. Will look into it at some point but I just don't think LaRoche is going anywhere.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
The difference between the Pirates and the White Sox is the DH. Pedro Alvarez is a horrid defender and that is the reason that he may be non-tendered. Any value that his bat has is completely negated by his defense. If the Pirates had a DH spot in the lineup that's where he would be. That being said, I think AL teams would be better off looking at Alvarez and NL teams at LaRoche.

That's a huge point you make about Alvarez being horrid on defense and the Pirates not having a DH spot to stow him away at.

I don't think the Pirates will have a problem finding an AL team willing to take on Alvarez at 8M. LaRoche is a different story since he's essentially a first baseman with no power at a high cost. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see him being traded.

The only thing I can think of would be to trade LaRoche + 5M for Alvarez. To be honest, I think the Pirates can do better in a trade involving Alvarez.

I'm thinking LaRoche will bounce back next year to hit something like .250/.330/.430 w/ 20 homers. Konerko had a horrible year in the same fashion around that age and then bounced back to be himself again. Alex Rios had an abysmal year and then bounced back the next year. Adam Dunn had the worst season ever and then actually became a good DH. Players have bad years and LaRoche (as much as I hated this guy during the season) seems like just as good a candidate as any to be useful again.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
I'm thinking LaRoche will bounce back next year to hit something like .250/.330/.430 w/ 20 homers. Konerko had a horrible year in the same fashion around that age and then bounced back to be himself again. Alex Rios had an abysmal year and then bounced back the next year. Adam Dunn had the worst season ever and then actually became a good DH. Players have bad years and LaRoche (as much as I hated this guy during the season) seems like just as good a candidate as any to be useful again.

i hope you are right, for me i think it is wishful thinking. mark this for next season end.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
That's a huge point you make about Alvarez being horrid on defense and the Pirates not having a DH spot to stow him away at.

I don't think the Pirates will have a problem finding an AL team willing to take on Alvarez at 8M. LaRoche is a different story since he's essentially a first baseman with no power at a high cost. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see him being traded.

The only thing I can think of would be to trade LaRoche + 5M for Alvarez. To be honest, I think the Pirates can do better in a trade involving Alvarez.

ding... ding... ding. the winner.

that is what i would do as well plus a low tier pitcher to sweeten the deal.

I think LaRoche would be a lot better off back in the NL where he got to play defense everyday. He could fit in Colorado as a guy to hold a spot down in a rebuilding year if the Sox were to take on some money from the Rockies. Pitt may be interested if the Sox eat half the contract, the Brewers may be another option if they unload Lind at the winter meetings for prospects. They could try and turn a half season of LaRoche into more prospects at the deadline. The Giants would be a long shot if they end up moving Belt for pitching and then could platoon LaRoche with Posey. They always seem to squeeze a little extra out of veterans in the Giants org.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
I think LaRoche would be a lot better off back in the NL where he got to play defense everyday. He could fit in Colorado as a guy to hold a spot down in a rebuilding year if the Sox were to take on some money from the Rockies. Pitt may be interested if the Sox eat half the contract, the Brewers may be another option if they unload Lind at the winter meetings for prospects. They could try and turn a half season of LaRoche into more prospects at the deadline. The Giants would be a long shot if they end up moving Belt for pitching and then could platoon LaRoche with Posey. They always seem to squeeze a little extra out of veterans in the Giants org.

for me, i think and maybe i am being obsessive on this, but it is pitt who is the best fit .

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:25 PM)
I think the Pirates lineup is deep enough to the point where he could be plugged in to the 6/7 spot and they could hope for the best. Also, they are looking to get better defensively at first.

exactly and only for 1 yr. then their prize prospect comes into play. now with pedro, and money that team will need to award players, it is too much. 5 million, laroche who plays a good D, and another propect, pitching prospect.

the sox will get alvarez and his 25+ hrs and a better producing dh than last yr dh.

This isn't sox related but if you're thinking about Quintana for Pollock from Arizona. Just a little bit of info on him. Thought it was interesting because he's a guy I'd target trading Quintana for.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Braves "keep trying" to trade for A.J. Pollock.

Rosenthal says they offered Shelby Miller for Pollock, which was rejected, and then their counter of Miller and Arodys Vizcaino for Pollock and Aaron Blair was also rejected. It's difficult to see why the D'Backs would be willing to trade Pollock, as they are aiming to contend in 2016 and the center fielder is coming off a breakout season. Pollock is under team control through 2018 and general manager Dave Stewart revealed earlier this offseason that he's discussed a possible extension with the outfielder's agent.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterDec 1 - 7:56 PM

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
This isn't sox related but if you're thinking about Quintana for Pollock from Arizona. Just a little bit of info on him. Thought it was interesting because he's a guy I'd target trading Quintana for.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Braves "keep trying" to trade for A.J. Pollock.

Rosenthal says they offered Shelby Miller for Pollock, which was rejected, and then their counter of Miller and Arodys Vizcaino for Pollock and Aaron Blair was also rejected. It's difficult to see why the D'Backs would be willing to trade Pollock, as they are aiming to contend in 2016 and the center fielder is coming off a breakout season. Pollock is under team control through 2018 and general manager Dave Stewart revealed earlier this offseason that he's discussed a possible extension with the outfielder's agent.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterDec 1 - 7:56 PM

Q is a much better pitcher than Miller, I think a 1:1 swap would be pretty close. Would love Pollock.

Ok. They broke down our splash last offseason.

Talked about bounce backs that will help from guys like LaRoche, and Melky. They talked about then if ya get bounce backs, maybe add some pieces and we could be competitive in the central. They interviewed Dan Hayes. Talked about SS and 3B.

Sounds like it's Saladino at SS to bridge the gap

Talked about maybe moving pieces for a 3B. Maybe Quintana but said the usual "small army of hitters" in return.

Talked about Sale and trade, but said probably hold on to him. Plesac brought that up.

Just thought if anyone was interested to let ya know.

For me, we need to be aggressive again. I don't want to waste the careers of Sale, Q and Abreu. Hopefully we make some moves and get back on track. We're due some good fortune sooner rather later I'd think lol.

Edited by SouthSideSale