White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
sign me up!!!! :headbang :stick :fight

Now now. Let's give Hahn a chance to work some magic. I don't expect all the holes to be filled but if he can somehow shore up 3B and SS, I'd be a pretty happy Sox fan. If not, Castle Reinsdorf here we come! :P

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:20 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks Hahn wants to blow it up and do a Astros/Cubs rebuild but KW and JR are standing in the way of it?

I am sooo tired of hearing Williams talk about anything!!! Too bad he couldn't get hired elsewhere!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 11:17 PM)
Now now. Let's give Hahn a chance to work some magic. I don't expect all the holes to be filled but if he can somehow shore up 3B and SS, I'd be a pretty happy Sox fan. If not, Castle Reinsdorf here we come! :P

oh man, i was already getting the troops org, setting up a plan to raid their firework display. now you want to stop.... :angry:

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 12:20 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks Hahn wants to blow it up and do a Astros/Cubs rebuild but KW and JR are standing in the way of it?

I sure hope no one wants to completely blow this up.

Trade one of Q or Sale for the "Small army of bats" they talked about and you should be close to where you need to be.

Pitching staff in 2 years should still be really good with Sale/Q-Rodon-Fulmer-EJ and there's a good chance we see guys like Adams, Danish, Montas, Clark, Guerrero, and maybe even Beck pushing for that 5th spot.

Add that "Small army" of hitters to Abreu, Eaton, Anderson and maybe some other guys develop and poof.

I think that 2016 should be focused on the future and 'infrastructure'. After last year, I think the Sox need to take a long look in the mirror, self scout themselves to the thousandth degree and most importantly acquire as much young talent as possible (Trades, July 2nd, Draft, etc).

How many guys in the org, in every level are guys that you can hang your hat on?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
Floated a Quintana for Schwarber proposal out to two Cubs fans today.

Both said we'd have to include "much more". :lol:

I would do that trade in a heartbeat. One guy plays everyday and the other plays every 5th day. Plus 2-3 more years of control with Schwarber and he doesn't have to play the field. He was only up in the big leagues for 3 months and was hands down the best player for the Cubs in the playoffs. Would love him on the Sox.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
I sure hope no one wants to completely blow this up.

Trade one of Q or Sale for the "Small army of bats" they talked about and you should be close to where you need to be.

Pitching staff in 2 years should still be really good with Sale/Q-Rodon-Fulmer-EJ and there's a good chance we see guys like Adams, Danish, Montas, Clark, Guerrero, and maybe even Beck pushing for that 5th spot.

Add that "Small army" of hitters to Abreu, Eaton, Anderson and maybe some other guys develop and poof.

Blowing it up is painful but if you look at the Cubs and Astros, both were in the postseason this year and it looks like both will be there consistently in the coming years.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 01:39 AM)
Blowing it up is painful but if you look at the Cubs and Astros, both were in the postseason this year and it looks like both will be there consistently in the coming years.

Did they have any sort of core though? I don't really know where to begin with either team as far as when their rebulids began, but I'm guess at no point did they have the building blocks like the Sox have now.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)

Neither team had SAle, Q, Rodon, Abreu, or Eaton when they blew it up though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
Neither team had SAle, Q, Rodon, Abreu, or Eaton when they blew it up though.

Correct. This Sox could basically get as much for dealing Sale as the Astros and the Cubs did in the blowups. The only in their prime really good players they dealt were Shark and Pence. The difference will be we won't get number one draft choices. Those basically gave the Cubs and Astros 1 elite player each. The Cubs made a couple of clever/lucky trades and invested in the international game, and the Astros just drafted well through and through.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
I also think they don't wana come out and say they're going to be aggressive and push for the playoffs again in case some team offers the a small fortune for Sale or Quintana. That wouldn't look good.

Ding ding ding!

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
I also think they don't wana come out and say they're going to be aggressive and push for the playoffs again in case some team offers the a small fortune for Sale or Quintana. That wouldn't look good.

Agree 100%. I also don't get why some posters on here believe if we trade Quintana, it signals rebuild. It's just trading from a strength to add to a weakness. They can still compete moving Quintana it just depends on if the bats are MLB ready, or close with years of control either way.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)

The Sox did blow it up. In 2013/2014 when they got rid of Rios, Santiago, Reed, Peavy, De Aza, Beckham, Dunn and let go AJ, Konerko, Viciedo. The only position player left from the 2012 team is Tyler Flowers.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
The Sox did blow it up. In 2013/2014 when they got rid of Rios, Santiago, Reed, Peavy, De Aza, Beckham, Dunn and let go AJ, Konerko, Viciedo. The only position player left from the 2012 team is Tyler Flowers.

Stupid facts don't sharpen pitchfork blades mang.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)

Exactly. Avi Garcia is the second longest tenured position player on the team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Exactly. Avi Garcia is the second longest tenured position player on the team.

here is a question i am still asking..... at what point is the difference of the term "blow up and retool"???

so the statement of blowing up when the sox got rid of 3 or 4 players is a blowing up or retooling???

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 06:29 AM)
here is a question i am still asking..... at what point is the difference of the term "blow up and retool"???

so the statement of blowing up when the sox got rid of 3 or 4 players is a blowing up or retooling???

I think when you have 1 position player left from 3 seasons ago, it is a rebuild. I don't think the semantics matter much, the fact is, except for pitchers, which almost universally the opinion is the White Sox do a decent job of developing, there is one player left since Hahn became the GM. I don't think they will stop trying to win now. It would be nice if a guy they developed actually was able to hit and field. Maybe it will happen. Maybe LaRoche is what they thought they signed in 2016. They will need some things to go right, but I don't see how they are any farther away than they were last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I think when you have 1 position player left from 3 seasons ago, it is a rebuild. I don't think the semantics matter much, the fact is, except for pitchers, which almost universally the opinion is the White Sox do a decent job of developing, there is one player left since Hahn became the GM. I don't think they will stop trying to win now. It would be nice if a guy they developed actually was able to hit and field. Maybe it will happen. Maybe LaRoche is what they thought they signed in 2016. They will need some things to go right, but I don't see how they are any farther away than they were last year.

several great points made. i will counter on one, re bold.

i do not necessary agree with this thinking. you are using a timeline to make that call. this definition or calling it a rebuild vs a retool is sooo subjective. that is unless it if obvious, like in one off season or during a season, changing 50% of the starting lineup, then that is a rebuild. the trading of several players for prospects is not a rebuild but a retool .

but that is my opinion, maybe i am way wrong on this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 07:18 AM)
several great points made. i will counter on one, re bold.

i do not necessary agree with this thinking. you are using a timeline to make that call. this definition or calling it a rebuild vs a retool is sooo subjective. that is unless it if obvious, like in one off season or during a season, changing 50% of the starting lineup, then that is a rebuild. the trading of several players for prospects is not a rebuild but a retool .

but that is my opinion, maybe i am way wrong on this.

Whatever they are doing the Sox are doing it right. Good point.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)
I would do that trade in a heartbeat. One guy plays everyday and the other plays every 5th day. Plus 2-3 more years of control with Schwarber and he doesn't have to play the field. He was only up in the big leagues for 3 months and was hands down the best player for the Cubs in the playoffs. Would love him on the Sox.

Ignoring the merits of Q/Schwarber, I'm very tired of the bolded characterization of pitcher value. Manny Machado had the most plate appearances in MLB last year with 713. Jose Quintana faced 862 batters. This "every 5th day" thing is misleading at best.