White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
How in the world does this make Rick Hahn look bad?

BTW, December 3rd is the day season ticket deposits are due. At least the first installment.

Williams comments directly stated Hahn has no off-season plan. Something he should have been pondering since August 20th.

Did I misread or misunderstand something?

There is no indication that things are fluid and they are analyzing the scene daily. He stated Hahn has no plan.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Williams comments directly stated Hahn has no off-season plan. Something he should have been pondering since August 20th.

Did I misread or misunderstand something?

There is no indication that things are fluid and they are analyzing the scene daily. He stated Hahn has no plan.

Yes you did.

It's great to have a plan to acquire player X for player Y but what if the other team says, "you're high"? Then guess what, you don't have a plan. He has to see what is available at a price he is willing to pay. Lock yourself into acquiring a certain player or position, and you usually overpay.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 07:47 AM)
They've had 2 months to figure out a direction to go in. To me, Kenny's comments make the whole organization look incompetent.

But to me, the biggest comment is that last one. There isn't that much available unless they are willing to spend money in FA on an OF or maybe SP, or go after some proven names on the trade market.

If I were a betting man, those comments are saying that they might go rebuild, and that scares the s*** out of me.

They have multiple plans, the problem is you don't know how realistic those plans are until you get into the off-season and start having more in-depth conversations with agents and other GM's (and the most recent meetings help gauge that). All this said, if we are debating between rebuild or going for it, it seems odd given the path we went that I would have thought their was more to last off-seasons plan then if it doesn't work, blow it up. Still, you have a ton of roster holes and you really don't know how well you match up with teams and where the market goes so you always have to react.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
then you say, "We have plans A, B, C, and D in place, depending how things evolve."

I think they did indicate that they have multiple plans but they are still deciding on what plan is more realistic / the right approach.

I will add that even though the offseason traditionally "starts" at the winter meetings, there has already been plenty of activity around the league, some of which could have greatly benefited the team. It's just a really bad look for the FO. They can say whatever they want and we as a fanbase know KW talks out of his ass regularly, but they just dont look prepared.

This quote from KW says it all and I agree.

“I’ve been there so I certainly understand,” Williams said. “A lot of things are in play right now. I know it can be confusing, but it’s completely understandable from my perspective that this is what you do before you decide on the definitive plan.”

There are so many uncontrollable variables involved and that's what these meetings are for. The Sox can't sit here say they want to trade for player A if player A is not available so its Hahn's job to have discussions with other GM's to see who's available and what Sox players they might be interested in. Another variable is where JR sets the payroll ceiling at.

Relax Sox fans, its mid November, not mid February. Too many fans reading way too far into nothing at all.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Yes you did.

It's great to have a plan to acquire player X for player Y but what if the other team says, "you're high"? Then guess what, you don't have a plan. He has to see what is available at a price he is willing to pay. Lock yourself into acquiring a certain player or position, and you usually overpay.

i am really in a weird mood. haven't sleep.

so the best i can think of is from a movie quote. as mast yoda would say, "the future is never set, b/c it is always in motion"

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)

“I’ve been there so I certainly understand,” Williams said. “A lot of things are in play right now. I know it can be confusing, but it’s completely understandable from my perspective that this is what you do before you decide on the definitive plan.”

There are so many uncontrollable variables involved and that's what these meetings are for. The Sox can't sit here say they want to trade for player A if player A is not available so its Hahn's job to have discussions with other GM's to see who's available and what the Sox players they might be interested in. Another variable is where JR sets the payroll ceiling at.

Relax Sox fans, its mid November, not mid February. Too many fans reading way too far into nothing at all.

Right. If every team had their plan in place, there would be a whole lot more player movement by now. There is no November 18th trade or signing deadline.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
They have multiple plans, the problem is you don't know how realistic those plans are until you get into the off-season and start having more in-depth conversations with agents and other GM's (and the most recent meetings help gauge that). All this said, if we are debating between rebuild or going for it, it seems odd given the path we went that I would have thought their was more to last off-seasons plan then if it doesn't work, blow it up. Still, you have a ton of roster holes and you really don't know how well you match up with teams and where the market goes so you always have to react.

Thanks for taking me off the ledge.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
How in the world does this make Rick Hahn look bad?

BTW, December 3rd is the day season ticket deposits are due. At least the first installment.

He said "I want your definite plan" and Rick Hahn "could not give him (a plan)" on what direction they are going in. Instead of saying "we," he specially said Rick Hahn does not have a plan when being prompted by his boss. I understand it's semantics, but it certainly doesn't make Rick Hahn look good.

EDIT: Kenny's comment will generate a lot more buzz than it actually deserves, but I just found it off-putting he would specifically mention Hahn and not address as the front office as a whole.

Edited by southside hitman

KW just needs to go away and let Rick have a chance to steer the ship. The conflicting approaches leave the Sox in purgatory, not enough commitment to either win now or to build up the system from the bottom up. AA left his job in Toronto because he did not want the micromanagement from Shapiro the way that KW is there to manage Hahn. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
KW just needs to go away and let Rick have a chance to steer the ship. The conflicting approaches leave the Sox in purgatory, not enough commitment to either win now or to build up the system from the bottom up. AA left his job in Toronto because he did not want the micromanagement from Shapiro the way that KW is there to manage Hahn. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

he loves the attention.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)

I agree, I really wish this would happen. Not even because of the quotes that spawned this thread.

People argue about - and we don't know - which moves Hahn is more responsible for making and which are KW's. It doesn't matter, it's beside the point. I just want KW out of the way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Right. If every team had their plan in place, there would be a whole lot more player movement by now. There is no November 18th trade or signing deadline.

I think some fans have become impatient due to a few trades have already happened. Just because the Sox weren't involved doesn't mean they won't be involved in the near future. Good grief, the off season is just getting going.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
I will add that even though the offseason traditionally "starts" at the winter meetings, there has already been plenty of activity around the league, some of which could have greatly benefited the team. It's just a really bad look for the FO. They can say whatever they want and we as a fanbase know KW talks out of his ass regularly, but they just dont look prepared.

Still think you're reading way too much into it. As fathom said there's pretty much zero reason to pay any attention to what they say, especially KW. And you really think they've been sitting on their asses the last few months? I see no reason to think they're unprepared.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
This idea that our front office is unprepared is such a stupid narrative.

Anyone who has worked in any business at all knows that when you are depending on making investments where costs and availability are not certain, you have to have several backup plans and you have to be resigned to the fact that you will need to make a quick decision when the information finally gets to you.

I mean, think about all of the questions you'd have for the WS front office regarding who they should acquire or who they should trade. Now, how many of those answers are anything other than "it depends"? Should they trade Chris Sale? Depends on the return they could get and depends on the direction of the team which depends on the outcomes of other deals which depend on the costs that are attached to those deals which depends on what other teams decide to do when given the exact same problem under the same circumstances at the same time.

There are a billion ways to skin the cat, and almost NONE of the requisite information to choose the best way is even available yet.

Cubs management said almost exactly what was said here about a week ago, and no one said a thing about it. Theo and Jed are supposed to be meeting next week to decide on their plan.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)

There are so many uncontrollable variables involved and that's what these meetings are for. The Sox can't sit here say they want to trade for player A if player A is not available so its Hahn's job to have discussions with other GM's to see who's available and what Sox players they might be interested in. Another variable is where JR sets the payroll ceiling at.

The last thing the Sox front office needs to do is listen to the desperation expressed here.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)

The funny thing is this is demonstrating that this is exactly what Kenny is doing. He isn't saying this is our plan, or my plan. He is asking Rick Hahn for HIS plan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
The funny thing is this is demonstrating that this is exactly what Kenny is doing. He isn't saying this is our plan, or my plan. He is asking Rick Hahn for HIS plan.

Yes, but as was established earlier in the thread, Kenny is often full of poop.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
Yes, but as was established earlier in the thread, Kenny is often full of poop.

It is also quite acceptable to not believe any of what was said, and if that is the case, there really is no reason to freak out about things, though for many here the only exercise they get is jumping to conclusions.