White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
I think that's almost certainly the case. Out of all the options adding and continuing to build makes the most sense. Standing pat made the least sense.

I'm not so sure. I just think that if Sox go after and sign a big time free agent, they'll regret it, and so will we.

Sox have two primo prospects that should be ready in either late 2016 or opening day, 2017. A couple other prospects should emerge next year, too. Plus, if Sox draft well again next year, it will help big time.

My other thought is to trade Q for 3-4 really good (Boston) prospects, and by 2018 we will have a young, exciting team to pull for. Maybe 2017. Either way, unless some miracle occurs, 2016 figures to be a repeat of 2015, regardless of what they do.

If they have money to burn, spend it some Cuban prospects.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
I'm not so sure. I just think that if Sox go after and sign a big time free agent, they'll regret it, and so will we.

Sox have two primo prospects that should be ready in either late 2016 or opening day, 2017. A couple other prospects should emerge next year, too. Plus, if Sox draft well again next year, it will help big time.

My other thought is to trade Q for 3-4 really good (Boston) prospects, and by 2018 we will have a young, exciting team to pull for. Maybe 2017. Either way, unless some miracle occurs, 2016 figures to be a repeat of 2015, regardless of what they do.

Now sure Boston will want Q now. It appears Boston and Cubs may be favorites to get Price with the loser possibly getting Cueto. Boston already used a few prospects for their closer as well. Now that Zimmerman is off the table that leaves Greinke as the last big name and he may stay in LA. So maybe the Yankees will be interested in Q.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)

There's some talented players on this team that you just cant afford to waist any time with. If you do then trade them. Trade Abreu,Sale,Q and whoever else. In my opinion if you cant build a team with those guys to atleast be competitive on a regular basis that just shows the incompetence of that front office.

Plus if that was the plan Robin should have quit. Standing pat would only be more fuel to the fire.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Alexei is also 5 years older than Cabrera, and Cabrera had a OPS greater than 700

Through 2013-2014, Alexei had a .703 OPS, Asdrubal Cabrera had a .697 OPS. Alexei may be too old to do that any more, fine. Are we ready to pay $10 million for Asdrubal Cabrera to put up a sub .700 OPS the next 2-3 years if he puts up the numbers he did in 2013-2014, or is that a contract we're likely to regret? How can we be certain that his 2015 campaign, during a contract year, is more representative of what he'll do in his 30s than his previous 1200 PAs?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
Through 2013-2014, Alexei had a .703 OPS, Asdrubal Cabrera had a .697 OPS. Alexei may be too old to do that any more, fine. Are we ready to pay $10 million for Asdrubal Cabrera to put up a sub .700 OPS the next 2-3 years if he puts up the numbers he did in 2013-2014, or is that a contract we're likely to regret? How can we be certain that his 2015 campaign, during a contract year, is more representative of what he'll do in his 30s than his previous 1200 PAs?

One of the years you are using against him was also a contract year.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
There's some talented players on this team that you just cant afford to waist any time with. If you do then trade them. Trade Abreu,Sale,Q and whoever else. In my opinion if you cant build a team with those guys to atleast be competitive on a regular basis that just shows the incompetence of that front office.

Plus if that was the plan Robin should have quit. Standing pat would only be more fuel to the fire.

Baron, I don't believe the FO can build a competitive, contending team for 2016-2017 around those players you mentioned. Not sure anyone can. Too may holes. But with one shrewd trade they can be ready to contend in 2017, assuming our 2 primo prospects are indeed ready to contribute in 2017, and the high level prospects received in the trade are ready to some extent in 2017.

As I stated, IMO the reality is that 2016 will be another bad year, but it can get a lot better after that, unless FO makes more bad moves ala one year ago. Abreu and Sale will still be very good in 2017.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
One of the years you are using against him was also a contract year.

Given that my question was "how can we be certain that his 2015 will be more representative of his future performance than his 2013-2014 years" and that was your reply, I interpret this as you asserting certainty that his next 3 years will be well represented by his 2015 performance. Is that fair?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
Given that my question was "how can we be certain that his 2015 will be more representative of his future performance than his 2013-2014 years" and that was your reply, I interpret this as you asserting certainty that his next 3 years will be well represented by his 2015 performance. Is that fair?

You conclude what you want to conclude,all I am saying is you seemed to credit hisimprovement on it being a contract year, or you probably wouldn't have mentioned it. I am pointing out one of his poor seasons you mentioned was also contract year. That might disprove a thought that he would only play well for a contract.

The fact is we can't be certain how anyone will perform in the future.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
At this point I am inclined to keep him.

This shouldn't be amongst the first moves we make...this move should be defined by the other moves we make.

ok, i may not agree for this reason, at this point, if the sox can get out from under his contract, so much the better. even if the sox will pay, what, 3 mil of his salary. the risk is too much for me to accept that gamble.

furthermore, even if he can hit a little better than last yr, no one can say his offensive stat will be his normal let alone above avg, something that i will need to see to accept. \

lastly, look at paulie last couple of yrs as a sox, loos at his stats. that is what i am expecting to see. and i hope i am wrong.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
ok, i may not agree for this reason, at this point, if the sox can get out from under his contract, so much the better. even if the sox will pay, what, 3 mil of his salary. the risk is too much for me to accept that gamble.

furthermore, even if he can hit a little better than last yr, no one can say his offensive stat will be his normal let alone above avg, something that i will need to see to accept. \

lastly, look at paulie last couple of yrs as a sox, loos at his stats. that is what i am expecting to see. and i hope i am wrong.

It isn't logical you could get something for LaRoche or even much salary relief if it is assumed he will be as horrible next season. If it only saves them a million or so, they are better off seeing if he can bounce back. Baseball Prospectus really thought he would age decently last year. He had one of his highest walk rates and lowest k rates in 2014. Maybe it was just the adjustment to the AL and to DHing that threw him off a bit, but unless there is some real savings, getting rid of him just to get rid of him makes little sense to me. He is a highly respected teammate.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)

Fair points, but the question of whether LaRoche's contract should be basically swallowed whole is directly linked to the competitive position of the team. If they don't make a number of other moves, it doesn't seem to be very wise to eat the money just to move him elsewhere. If they make some moves, such as acquiring another bat and making LaRoche's roster spot useless, then they can move him.

There is a chance he bounces back and either gives us a much-needed bat, or else turns himself into a tradeable commodity in July.

Bottom line is, with our current roster construction, there really isn't anyone he is taking PAs from, so we may as well pay him to play for us rather than someone else and hope he turns things around.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
It isn't logical you could get something for LaRoche or even much salary relief if it is assumed he will be as horrible next season. If it only saves them a million or so, they are better off seeing if he can bounce back. Baseball Prospectus really thought he would age decently last year. He had one of his highest walk rates and lowest k rates in 2014. Maybe it was just the adjustment to the AL and to DHing that threw him off a bit, but unless there is some real savings, getting rid of him just to get rid of him makes little sense to me. He is a highly respected teammate.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
Fair points, but the question of whether LaRoche's contract should be basically swallowed whole is directly linked to the competitive position of the team. If they don't make a number of other moves, it doesn't seem to be very wise to eat the money just to move him elsewhere. If they make some moves, such as acquiring another bat and making LaRoche's roster spot useless, then they can move him.

There is a chance he bounces back and either gives us a much-needed bat, or else turns himself into a tradeable commodity in July.

Bottom line is, with our current roster construction, there really isn't anyone he is taking PAs from, so we may as well pay him to play for us rather than someone else and hope he turns things around.

both makes a great counter and it is logical. but my point is with his contract off the books, it may open a whole realm of possible trades and / or a possible strategic dh signing. there are still several team that are undecided on their RFA.

but either way, the main point will be the possibility, (and yes it is not a guarantee) of something opening up with ref to moves.

excellent counters.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
but the main question will be to whom??? what team would trade for him.

Who would want an aging 1B/DH type who is coming off a bad season? Even if there were interest, the White Sox would have to take back a similar contract OR pay for him to play elsewhere.

They are probably better off using him as a 1B and DH 4-5 days a week. I'm still in full support though of making him earn at-bats (i.e. if Micah Johnson can hit, he should play, and that can eat into La Roche's DH time), but between 1B/DH, he can still get a good amount of at bats since this team does lack something he can provide in his power.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
Who would want an aging 1B/DH type who is coming off a bad season? Even if there were interest, the White Sox would have to take back a similar contract OR pay for him to play elsewhere.

They are probably better off using him as a 1B and DH 4-5 days a week. I'm still in full support though of making him earn at-bats (i.e. if Micah Johnson can hit, he should play, and that can eat into La Roche's DH time), but between 1B/DH, he can still get a good amount of at bats since this team does lack something he can provide in his power.

that is not the sox way, esp with the sox ownership and most importantly, the size of his contract that they will expect to eat.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
that is not the sox way, esp with the sox ownership and most importantly, the size of his contract that they will expect to eat.

It would be extremely unlikely for the White Sox to pay for him to play elsewhere; the best chance is finding a team who has a need for him (insert joke), and having a similarly unproductive player who could fill a need for a year for the White Sox.