Kershaw wants Puig off the Dodgers?

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 03:27 AM)
I read Molly Knight's great book about the Dodgers. In it are details about how the White Sox were all over Puig during the recruiting process. The Dodgers just offered so much more than anyone else even thought of offering. Pretty interesting.

really i didn't know that. i was under the impression that sox only made a token offer.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
Greinke is such a b****. The way he beaned Q and then b****ed about it has always rubbed me the wrong way. Also he says a lot of dumbass s*** to the media about his team and team mates and the opposition and then falls back on the "I'm a misunderstood introvert" BS.

No, you're just a dick dude.

This. Everyone in LA Sports Media hints at it, but won't come out and say it because Greinke has been great for them. I think it's a case of the Dodgers not having a strong player leader (They've wanted Greinke and Kershaw to assume this role, but they haven't. And AGon is like Konerko in that he rather lead with his play), and Greinke being a complete primadonna. Puig is one of those players who if your team embraces, he will play all out for you and put up numbers. The Dodgers, don't embrace him.

With that said, Friedman didn't sound like he was going to deal him. He basically told Puig to get into shape during the offseason as Andrew blames Puig's troubles on that.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:14 PM)
This. Everyone in LA Sports Media hints at it, but won't come out and say it because Greinke has been great for them. I think it's a case of the Dodgers not having a strong player leader (They've wanted Greinke and Kershaw to assume this role, but they haven't. And AGon is like Konerko in that he rather lead with his play), and Greinke being a complete primadonna. Puig is one of those players who if your team embraces, he will play all out for you and put up numbers. The Dodgers, don't embrace him.

With that said, Friedman didn't sound like he was going to deal him. He basically told Puig to get into shape during the offseason as Andrew blames Puig's troubles on that.

I love Greinke and I have heard from multiple people close to the Dodgers that he has been their leader (and one of the few). Supposedly keeps things very loose. Kind of like Maddux a bit in that he's a big jokester, etc. He can be a dick to the media though but when he is, its usually pretty funny.

I also agree with your other points though and I would also point out that in general the Dodgers are a mess. They cleaned a lot up this past year but they still have major issues in that clubhouse and Puig definitely doesn't feel the love. I think a change of scenery could do him well and I'd be all over a deal. I think the upside is worth it. Would love the Dodgers young catcher and Puig for Q, but probably not realistic.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 12:56 AM)
I love Greinke and I have heard from multiple people close to the Dodgers that he has been their leader (and one of the few). Supposedly keeps things very loose. Kind of like Maddux a bit in that he's a big jokester, etc. He can be a dick to the media though but when he is, its usually pretty funny.

I also agree with your other points though and I would also point out that in general the Dodgers are a mess. They cleaned a lot up this past year but they still have major issues in that clubhouse and Puig definitely doesn't feel the love. I think a change of scenery could do him well and I'd be all over a deal. I think the upside is worth it. Would love the Dodgers young catcher and Puig for Q, but probably not realistic.

Same, Greinke is one of my favorite non-Sox players. Love reading his interviews. Seems like a weird, but really straight-up dude.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
Blocking isn't the opportunity cost. The opportunity cost is using assets on Puig instead of improving several other positions.

His D is less than exemplary as well.

Sox need to build, not star-gaze.

In one sense, though, he's the anti-Swisher. While Swisher didn't fit into the clubhouse, Puig's clowning would fit right in as long as Ventura is in charge.

Building is the priority, so any consideration of Puig has to be at a steep discount.

We have no one to block as no one is as good as him on this team tbh if healthy. I also don't see alternatives to be honest. And his defense is good, thing is, the Dodgers clubhouse is not a loud bunch. Puig reminds me of Sammy Sosa (a bit better) in that he needs the clubhouse to embrace him and his ways and he'll pay it back. If you don't, he becomes miserable and if you blame him, he becomes useless. Dodgers blamed a lot of their problems on him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 12:56 AM)

I have heard almost the exact opposite. He doesn't speak much apparently, and when he does, it's to point out something he doesn't like, or he'll say something really awkward or off the wall. A popular story I've heard is that during a players meeting, everyone spoke their peace. Greinke, supposedly doesn't even say much during those meetings, but he told everyone he had something to say. Everyone was pretty interested because he usually doesn't say anything, and he commented on an anonymous person's bathroom tendencies and how it bothers him. Everyone laughed at first because they thought he was joking and was going to actually say something, but then he didn't and he had a very serious look and it ended up being very awkward. EDIT, I had the order backwards. Everyone looked at him awkward and then laughed when they say he was serious.

Mason and Ireland even brought it up during one of their shows here in LA. I think Plashcke also mentioned it on his show.

Here's a link:

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/zack-...-pooping/265283

Edited by nitetrain8601

Do I understand correctly that Puig's contract allows him to opt out, and into arbitration, after his 3rd year of service time?

His service time will reach 3 years, during the upcoming season. That would make him just like any player on the normal "free agency clock," and nullify,

what would otherwise have been, a very affordable contract. Nevertheless, he would still be quite affordable, for the next 4 years.

I like the suggestion that Abreu be consulted regarding Puig's character. If Jose were confident that Puig wouldn't become a club house cancer, that would be

very reassuring.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 06:17 AM)
Do I understand correctly that Puig's contract allows him to opt out, and into arbitration, after his 3rd year of service time?

His service time will reach 3 years, during the upcoming season. That would make him just like any player on the normal "free agency clock," and nullify,

what would otherwise have been, a very affordable contract. Nevertheless, he would still be quite affordable, for the next 4 years.

I like the suggestion that Abreu be consulted regarding Puig's character. If Jose were confident that Puig wouldn't become a club house cancer, that would be

very reassuring.

Yes, you are correct. He has the same clause as Abreu in his contract. While Abreu doesn't stand to gain a lot until his 2nd or 3rd arbitration year, Puig will definitely opt out. He will probably gain roughly $4-$5 million in 2017 and $8-$10 million in 2018 by opting out.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

very reassuring.

you and many others makes a good point. but let me say this in a different, nicer way.

if Abreu have voted off on getting him. i feel confident in saying that the sox would have at the trade deadline. since that did not happen nor any rumors so far of the sox looking at this, i think that the answer was already been given.

the fans are fixated on not believing and still wants him on the team. unless someone with a known sox connection or a plain and simple article stating it, many will never believe it..... unless they see the proof.

it is there, just connect the dots.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
Greinke is such a b****. The way he beaned Q and then b****ed about it has always rubbed me the wrong way. Also he says a lot of dumbass s*** to the media about his team and team mates and the opposition and then falls back on the "I'm a misunderstood introvert" BS.

No, you're just a dick dude.

Yeah, the Greinke/Quentin drama was bad for him, and also misjudged by the media, who didn't seem to know about their history when Greinke was on the Royals and Quentin was on the Sox.

I'm referencing Molly Knight's book again, but yes it was that good. That whole story about Greinke is detailed in there. He's very smart but he's an introvert and just very odd. He has tendencies similar to someone with Asperger's Syndrome at times. The Greinke stuff in that book is fascinating. It's not surprising that he's had the anxiety issues that he's had. I'd also be stunned if he doesn't end up back in LA or in SF. Chicago or New York would eat that dude alive.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
I'm referencing Molly Knight's book again, but yes it was that good. That whole story about Greinke is detailed in there. He's very smart but he's an introvert and just very odd. He has tendencies similar to someone with Asperger's Syndrome at times. The Greinke stuff in that book is fascinating. It's not surprising that he's had the anxiety issues that he's had. I'd also be stunned if he doesn't end up back in LA or in SF. Chicago or New York would eat that dude alive.

Best Team Money Could Buy? Was thinking about picking that up for vacation

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Best Team Money Could Buy? Was thinking about picking that up for vacation

Yes sir. It details The McCourt stuff all the way through last year's postseason loss. It's really good. It's different but Big Data Baseball about the Pirates is awesome as well. Similar to Moneyball.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 12:07 AM)
I have heard almost the exact opposite. He doesn't speak much apparently, and when he does, it's to point out something he doesn't like, or he'll say something really awkward or off the wall. A popular story I've heard is that during a players meeting, everyone spoke their peace. Greinke, supposedly doesn't even say much during those meetings, but he told everyone he had something to say. Everyone was pretty interested because he usually doesn't say anything, and he commented on an anonymous person's bathroom tendencies and how it bothers him. Everyone laughed at first because they thought he was joking and was going to actually say something, but then he didn't and he had a very serious look and it ended up being very awkward. EDIT, I had the order backwards. Everyone looked at him awkward and then laughed when they say he was serious.

Mason and Ireland even brought it up during one of their shows here in LA. I think Plashcke also mentioned it on his show.

Here's a link:

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/zack-...-pooping/265283

Yeah and supposedly it is that type of humor that the guys like. The media hates it but the players in the clubhouse like it and he kept them loose. Think of Maddux peeing on everyone in the lockeroom. Plaschke is the pits. Guy is a fraud. By the way, I didn't realize you had moved out here (or at least I assume you did since your pimping a lot of the shows I listen to). 570 is the worst, with the exception of the morning on 710. Dan Lebatard is the stink. How does anyone listen to that crap.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)

Big name, big publicity for the Sox plus he is talented. This just makes him less expensive to get. Do they want to keep a jerk when they having trouble getting over the hump and close to a World Series appearance ? My guess is Puig is gone this winter if they want to add by subtraction.

Stay in touch with the Dodgers and keep semi-low balling them. Don't offer Q unless they want to throw in a high level prospect in an area of need for us.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
Yeah and supposedly it is that type of humor that the guys like. The media hates it but the players in the clubhouse like it and he kept them loose. Think of Maddux peeing on everyone in the lockeroom. Plaschke is the pits. Guy is a fraud. By the way, I didn't realize you had moved out here (or at least I assume you did since your pimping a lot of the shows I listen to). 570 is the worst, with the exception of the morning on 710. Dan Lebatard is the stink. How does anyone listen to that crap.

Yeah, but Greinke doesn't do it with any intention of being funny. If I was his teammate, I'd be pissed about him doing something like that.

And I moved out here back in June. I'm rooting for the Dodgers since the Sox are my AL team, but I also follow the Angels and have been to like 10 of them this past season.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
Can I ask what the hype over Puig is about? I'm honestly not seeing it or why some fans are seemingly eager to trade Q for him. What am I missing?

Not sure what you mean. The Puig of his 1st 2 season was a very good player. His OBP those 2 years was in the .380-.390 range. Power, speed a great arm but wild on the bases, a bit of an untamed stallion. . Basically he has problems with his weight, tardiness, injuries and Mattingly said something about a miraculous recovery from a hamstring injury inplying he was babying it then all of a sudden he's available to play.

So now there's the comments from Scott Van Syke's father that Kershaw supposedly said the Dodgers should get rid of him. So he's a major league prima donna or at best immature but talented as hell.

Certainly the Dodger's would be selling low on him if they were inclined to trade him. Now his value is low and sinking fast if what Andy Van Slyke said is to be believed.

He has all the talent in the world but his attitude and work ethic is being called into serious question.

I am certainly not advocating Q for him but the Sox need talent and acquiring Puig would be a boon to the Sox as far as national publicity would go. Can the Dodgers really afford to keep him if he is a huge problem in the clubhouse when they are also most likely be losing Greinke and will need pitching to stay in the hunt for October ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
Q, Adams, and Fulmer for Puig and Corey Seager?

Would that be fair for both teams?

Very doubtful the Dodgers would trade Seager and giving up 3 pitchers is giving up way too much pitching especially since it's the only kind of talent the Sox have had any luck with.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
Q, Adams, and Fulmer for Puig and Corey Seager?

Would that be fair for both teams?

Probably, but I wouldn't do it. IMO the only reason you can trade Q is because you have guys like Fulmer and Adams on their way up.

Yes, you'd still have Sale and Rodon but you're left with more questions after that. I like EJ, but he might not even be a guy. Danish and Montas might be relievers......Fulmer and Adams are close to untouchable in my book.