White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
Supposedly MLB Radio said the Sox are giving up Engel, Thompson and Avi. I don't know this report to true so don't freak out but that would be steep.

You look at it initially, you think that is really too much, but Avi is really nothing at this point. Engel is very intriguing but still a ways away. Trayce...if he hit like he probably will hit in 2016 during his call up, you would think he has a lot of potential, but you have to give up something to get something. Trayce to the Bay Area with his brother there, has to be appealing from a marketing standpoint.

I might give up 1 of Engel or Trayce, but not both, even if they are taking Avi. Avi in Oakland...oh my.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumor which speculates that it's Avi, Engel and Thompson makes no sense. The A's are said to be looking for pitching.

Moreover, they would not want 3 outfielders, and the Sox do not have enough outfield depth to be trading away 3 of their better prospects.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Avi would struggle to hit 5 homers in Oakland lol.

For a big dude, he literally has no pull power whatsoever.

He has a ton of power. Hit a couple of balls 450 in the same game. He just doesn't have the correct mechanics or approach to do it much.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Lawrie is light years better defensively

They don't play the same position, and basically anyone is light years better than Garcia defensively.

I was just drawing a comparison between two possible pieces of the deal. I know the ballpark effect watered down Lawrie's stats.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
The rumor which speculates that it's Avi, Engel and Thompson makes no sense. The A's are said to be looking for pitching.

Moreover, they would not want 3 outfielders, and the Sox do not have enough outfield depth to be trading away 3 of their better prospects.

They can always move along the extra OFs.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Avi would struggle to hit 5 homers in Oakland lol.

For a big dude, he literally has no pull power whatsoever.

There is a big, big difference in not having power and not being able to hit the ball in the air. Avi has as much power as anyone he just tends to hit down on the ball.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Lawrie is light years better defensively

Yes but it shows how mediocre he is offensively. Trayce and Engel along with Anderson are the only 3 prospects who show anything on offense. And they both play great defense. Sox are searching for hitting so they give up young players who look like they can hit for one who looks like he can't.

Avi and a middle reliever. Bargain for a change, Williams and Hahn.

Further it weakens out OF defense without Trayce and that was a huge problem. 3b defense wasn't.

But the Sox are usually only about this year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
I would like to see Avi go back to AAA and work on some things. I guess that's just me wishing he'd breakout.

He's always going to be poor defensively though. I just fear that he'll never hit enough to justify bad defense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
He's always going to be poor defensively though. I just fear that he'll never hit enough to justify bad defense.

From BaseballAmerica re: Avi: "Rated Best Defensive OF in the Detroit Tigers system after the 2011 season"

What the hell happened?!

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
I feel like the Sox should sell high on Engel now.

He was a nobody before the AFL, and now he's on the radar. It's time to capitalize on his value.

I don't know. You most likely are right, but there are late bloomers. If he is one of them, Sox fans will be upset if he's doing his thing with another team. He has a lot of tools to be both good offensively and defensively. Something not many White Sox prospects can say.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:31 AM)
That's our reality though, which is mediocre/replacement level production at 3B is an upgrade.

The problem though becomes our offense was so woeful that marginally improving positions like 3B and C with such players doesn't really improve our standing within a tough American League Central. We've said time and time again there needs to be another significant, 4+ WAR potential bat in the lineup aside from Eaton and Abreu. I'd be fine with Upton, but given the contract he'd command and our limited payroll it's not likely. Someone with value like Quintana should be shopped for a package on par with Atlanta received from Arizona

The way the sox pitching staff is currently constructed with Montas or Johnson as our 5th starter you're looking at just a hair under 17WAR by Steamer for the whole staff.

cyAusbX.png

You're absolutely right in saying we need a 4+WAR outfielder either in LF or RF and since Hahn has given Trayce the green light to start in CF and Eaton is more than open to moving to wherever the team needs him to. The Sox need Heyward or Upton in terms of outfielders that fit our window in terms of age and ability.

Heyward 26 LH amazing elite defender in RF could possibly play an above average CF - Steamer is projecting 4.7WAR

Upton 28 RH slightly above average defense in LF per UZR last year - steamer is projecting 3WAR

Here is how the lineup and bench is currently constructed provided they trade for Lawrie.

jn5922x.png

I would like to see the the sox sign one of Heyward or Upton, preferably Heyward. Sign or trade for a 1WAR shortstop (Erick Aybar since the braves are selling off or resign Alexei) and pick up Steve Pearce and pick up another utility piece and the sox could be in the thick of it for the wild card and central.

Last year here is how the AL playoff bracket breaks down for WAR.

9IL41vn.png