White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Stll have the feeling there's more involved in the trade talks than just Lawrie. Then again, maybe it could be that both teams are looking into medicals? It just seems like a deal like this would be more simple and take less time.

Medicals could be a hold up, Lawrie has had a history of injuries (although most were freak accidents; broken ankle sliding, broken hand being hit by a pitch, strained oblique after catching a ball and falling in the camera pit). But I really think we are choosing not to announce this yet because we are still working on the other pieces that fit together in this puzzle, well hopefully atleast.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Robin was also on MLB network the other day and said Olt may get a shot at third. What is said in the media really means very little.

While it is inconceivable on the surface to even fathom Olt getting a shot at 3rd, if a trade like this doesn't go down, then that's what we are looking at.

All things being equal, Trayce getting a shot at CF is far likelier to happen then Olt getting a shot at 3rd base.

If this deal goes down Lawrie will be an improvement (how can anybody be worse?) but let's keep things in perspective, you still aren't talking about a 25 home run , 100 RBI guy at the position which is traditionally a big time power spot in your lineup.

Again he'll help but he's not an All-Star by any means. (And yes I know they are in short supply...)

Mark

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Medicals could be a hold up, Lawrie has had a history of injuries (although most were freak accidents; broken ankle sliding, broken hand being hit by a pitch, strained oblique after catching a ball and falling in the camera pit). But I really think we are choosing not to announce this yet because we are still working on the other pieces that fit together in this puzzle, well hopefully atleast.

That's definitely a possibility too. Something like what the cubs did last night with the Castro trade and Zobrist signing.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
If we are indeed close with Lawrie, I don't know how we are not being mentioned with any of the big OF bats in FA or in trade (CarGo)

To be fair, almost no teams have been mentioned with the big bats. Amazing how quiet it's been with Cespedes and Upton.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
To be fair, almost no teams have been mentioned with the big bats. Amazing how quiet it's been with Cespedes and Upton.

Cespedes yes, but now the Upton market is heating up. Giants, O's, and Angels all have been linked. Although, it looks like Giants are focusing in on Gordon.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
It kind of bothers me that the white sox, of all places, cannot try out to see if Trayce is something worth keeping.

Kenny williams gives zero f***s about prospects. If he wants someone he will burn it all down for them.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
While it is inconceivable on the surface to even fathom Olt getting a shot at 3rd, if a trade like this doesn't go down, then that's what we are looking at.

All things being equal, Trayce getting a shot at CF is far likelier to happen then Olt getting a shot at 3rd base.

There's really no reason to worry about the possibility of Olt starting next year at 3rd....unless the Sox trade for a super 3rd base prospect and hold him down for two weeks :) I heard that's Olt's favorite role.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
That's definitely a possibility too. Something like what the cubs did last night with the Castro trade and Zobrist signing.

And it just came out the Cubs were in on Miller and included Soler, so that leads you to believe the Cubs still have a few more chips on the table. I think they land a SP in a trade and then sign J Hey or Gordon. But I'm sick of seeing our cross town rivals execute a plan correctly, and they've hit on their plan for a few years. It's time for the Sox to collect a few hits, and I think Lawrie is an excellent start. He is 26 and at one point was being talked about as a future superstar before a few injury setbacks. I think he would be a steal for this team and not only would bring better D and O but would be a guy that wouldn't let this team be flat or go through the motions throughout a season. He'll light a fire for this team

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
Kenny williams gives zero f***s about prospects. If he wants someone he will burn it all down for them.

Do you just keep repeating this until it sticks into our heads like "his name is Robert Paulson" ?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)

Well, the good news about having a mediocre farm system is it never hurts too much when you get rid of someone. I can't believe how some seem upset about the possibility of losing someone like Beck, etc. Nice arm, but every organization has a few guys like that.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
If this deal goes down Lawrie will be an improvement (how can anybody be worse?) but let's keep things in perspective, you still aren't talking about a 25 home run , 100 RBI guy at the position which is traditionally a big time power spot in your lineup.

Again he'll help but he's not an All-Star by any means. (And yes I know they are in short supply...)

Mark

I think tradition needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Only 8 third baseman had 25 or more HR's in '15 and one of them ( Valbuena ) played 1/3 of his games at first so its not like those guys are in abundance.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)

This is what I was thinking. There was a tweet or something about the Sox "lining up" some moves. Then the Lawrie thing, and now I see on mlbtraderumors that CarGo's name is coming up again. I could see the Sox making two moves like Lawrie and CarGo simultaneously.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)

It's been reported Cespedes market isn't what people thought going in and I have heard he won't get anywhere near the money he was asking for during the season.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
And it just came out the Cubs were in on Miller and included Soler, so that leads you to believe the Cubs still have a few more chips on the table. I think they land a SP in a trade and then sign J Hey or Gordon. But I'm sick of seeing our cross town rivals execute a plan correctly, and they've hit on their plan for a few years. It's time for the Sox to collect a few hits, and I think Lawrie is an excellent start. He is 26 and at one point was being talked about as a future superstar before a few injury setbacks. I think he would be a steal for this team and not only would bring better D and O but would be a guy that wouldn't let this team be flat or go through the motions throughout a season. He'll light a fire for this team

Could not agree more. Eaton and Lawrie in the same dugout should keep the energy level up and we seen too many times in '15 how lethargic the players looked at times. Just going through the motions, or so it seemed.

I hope you're right in that the Sox are lining things up and once a Lawrie trade is announced, another announcement or two follows.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
This is what I was thinking. There was a tweet or something about the Sox "lining up" some moves. Then the Lawrie thing, and now I see on mlbtraderumors that CarGo's name is coming up again. I could see the Sox making two moves like Lawrie and CarGo simultaneously.

Ya, the Sox were supposedly in meetings all day yesterday so maybe today at some point the puzzle comes together. Perhaps a three way deal involving the SOX, A's and Rockies?

The questions is if you had your choice if we do land Lawrie would you rather Sign Upton, Sign Cespedes, Sign Gordon, or trade for Cargo? (Not going to include J Hey cause there is no chance)

Personally I would be ecstatic if we traded for Lawrie to play 2B, sign the Japenese 3B, and sign J up. Although my ultimate pipe dream is landing Puig.