Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Last year after the plethora of moves, I bought more game tickets than usual to show my support. As of right now, I need a reason to buy tickets to games in advance

But you don't like Cespedes . Would it help if I gave you my personal guarantee that he won't be a bust if he comes here ? I believe that strongly in him. He was always my 1st choice of the big 3 because of his AL experience , his defense and no matter how you want to look at his hitting , every year he's been awesome with RISP . He sees a sports psychologist to prepare himself to do well in those situations and apparently it's been working very well.

Heyward is 26 signed an 8 year contract, Upton 28 signed a 6 year contract, Cespedes is 30 so a 4 year contract logically follows though I know free agency is never logical.

He'll be Dick Allen all over again , smoking included . :P

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 36m36 minutes ago

Goddamnit the white sox better sign Cespedes

The guy people were using as a source earlier during Cespedrama is seemingly just a fan.

I got that impression last week when he tweeted he was taking a dump. No kidding, true story and I am not making that up.

Was the last time I payed attention to anything he said.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
Desmond had some crazy streak to start the season of 8 errors in the first 12 games. Settled down a bit after that.

Ouch, that is a bad start. Was just looking him up at Fangraphs and he's rated above average in range, had just 9 throwing errors with 18 fielding errors. Is it possible some of his fielding errors came from his good range enabling him to get to balls many wouldn't normally get to and therefore being a tougher play than normal? That's what it sounds like to me.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 06:10 AM)
Ouch, that is a bad start. Was just looking him up at Fangraphs and he's rated above average in range, had just 9 throwing errors with 18 fielding errors. Is it possible some of his fielding errors came from his good range enabling him to get to balls many wouldn't normally get to and therefore being a tougher play than normal? That's what it sounds like to me.

if some SS who has a great range, yes, they will have some extra fielding errors. nice catch.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
if some SS who has a great range, yes, they will have some extra fielding errors. nice catch.

It would make some sense out of his defensive numbers. He has good range with a strong and somewhat accurate arm, yet his 27 errors are puzzling. I'm thinking some of those errors he made are on plays that are usually base hits, deep in the hole kind of plays. Hard to say without seeing him play every day. Hopefully someone on here can give some more insight to this.

In good conscience, Cespedes can’t come back to New York if a $100 million gap exists between the Mets’ best offer and that of other suitors. That might very well come to fruition in the next few days; with both Upton ($132.75 million) and Chris Davis ($161 million, including deferred money, from the Orioles) off the board, only Cespedes can keep Cespedes from cashing in very shortly.

From whom? Could be the White Sox, who have more incentive to go for it — to follow up on their offseason trade additions of Todd Frazier and Brett Lawrie — after the Tigers’ securing of Upton. Could be the Angels, whose left-field platoon of Daniel Nava and Craig Gentry won’t prompt any of their fans to run to Las Vegas and bet the house on them. Could be the Cardinals, who tried hard to re-sign Jason Heyward, saw him jump to the rival Cubs and haven’t touched their outfield since. Could be the Astros or Nationals or Rangers, although they all seem less likely to take the plunge.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/19/dont-be-foole...-not-shrinking/

Good grief the Mets are really becoming a pain in the ass. With their outfield it doesn't make sense for them to be in on Cespedes unless they trade one of their current outfielders. Not sure what to think or how serious to take the Mets/Cespedes rumors anymore.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 01:00 AM)

Good grief the Mets are really becoming a pain in the ass. With their outfield it doesn't make sense for them to be in on Cespedes unless they trade one of their current outfielders. Not sure what to think or how serious to take the Mets/Cespedes rumors anymore.

Could be used by the agent maybe I don't know.

Well, the Mets already have Conforto, Granderson, DeAza and Lagares, right?

Doesn't really make a lot of sense unless they're taking Granderson's deal off the books...assuming that finances are the main issue here with the Mets.

Still, it's hard to believe they want to go with either DeAza or Lagares as an everyday player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
@MibeltRodriguez Updated: I been told that the #WhiteSox are the favorite to sign OF Yoenis Cespedes. He will get paid big money because he's patient.

I'd like to believe this as I think Cespedes would be nice in RF next year, but the two statements contradict each other. If the Sox are the favorites... he isn't getting big money/years

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:32 AM)
Well, the Mets already have Conforto, Granderson, DeAza and Lagares, right?

Doesn't really make a lot of sense unless they're taking Granderson's deal off the books...assuming that finances are the main issue here with the Mets.

Still, it's hard to believe they want to go with either DeAza or Lagares as an everyday player.

I'd imagine that if the Mets signed Cespedes they would have DeAza and Lagares as LH/RH fourth and fifth outfielders for the bench. Being an NL team, it does make more sense now that I think about it.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
@MibeltRodriguez Updated: I been told that the #WhiteSox are the favorite to sign OF Yoenis Cespedes. He will get paid big money because he's patient.

I do believe this wank already said similar claims with similar "sources" referenced about a month ago. Yawn.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)

with you mentioning the Mets, i thought since the Mets are being talked about, i can add this.

yesterday i started to read more on the Mets and the Madoff fiasco. in one article the writer mention that maybe 1 more yr and then the Mets will be able to be somewhat normal..... that is if they really keep a tight reins on their finance.

so it this is true, i can see the Mets be in the running, however if the article was wrong, then i can see the Mets just driving the price up.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 06:26 AM)
It would make some sense out of his defensive numbers. He has good range with a strong and somewhat accurate arm, yet his 27 errors are puzzling. I'm thinking some of those errors he made are on plays that are usually base hits, deep in the hole kind of plays. Hard to say without seeing him play every day. Hopefully someone on here can give some more insight to this.

yeah i like his offensive side of his game, but i really hate the idea of loosing a draft pick. i really want the sox to keep all their picks.

as someone mention yesterday, if the sox does indeed fix the outfield, then 1 yr with a player that is on the team now, as a stop gap for anderson, i can deal with that.

who knows, maybe anderson will surprise many in spring training.

They're not going to give Anderson the starting job even if he hits .350 and Saladino hits .150.

If they could get Desmond for $40-45 million over three years, i'd do that in a heartbeat because he gives you a starting SS as well as insurance at 2b, DH and in the outfield.

He could have taken 7 years and $107 million last year but turned it down. That was basically $15.3 million guaranteed through 2021 would he have accepted the deal. Much more likely to earn that money than Cespedes at $25 million per season for five years.

Even two years, although three would be close to ideal because we don't have anyone penciled in for the 2018 lineup other than Eaton, Abreu and hopefully Tim Anderson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
They're not going to give Anderson the starting job even if he hits .350 and Saladino hits .150.

If they could get Desmond for $40-45 million over three years, i'd do that in a heartbeat because he gives you a starting SS as well as insurance at 2b, DH and in the outfield.

He could have taken 7 years and $107 million last year but turned it down. That was basically $15.3 million guaranteed through 2021 would he have accepted the deal. Much more likely to earn that money than Cespedes at $25 million per season for five years.

Even two years, although three would be close to ideal because we don't have anyone penciled in for the 2018 lineup other than Eaton, Abreu and hopefully Tim Anderson.

ok i will accept what you are saying... i don't necessary agree with it. but that is kool.

however i think the priority is the OF.... when the dust settles, i can discuss other improvements.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/padr...des-market.html

Padres monitoring the Cespedes market now.

wow, that is very surprising ..... earlier in the off season there was a little snippet of the org will try to unload Kemp.... b/c of the salary and how much stronger that NL West has gotten stronger.

a rhetorical question is.... why will they be interested????

At first I was very optimistic about one of the big 3. Yo being who I was most optimistic about with all the reports. Upton getting 6 years 130+ diminishes all optimism for Yo. That said I would be cool with going A Jackson and someone like Latos on a prove it deal. I'm not a fan of giving up a pick for Fowler who I've been a fan of his tools since his days in Colorado.

People suggesting Desmond for stop gap SS then OF next year. Has he ever played the OF? I don't follow the Nats but he never blew me away when I would occasionally watch the game so I'm not the best to judge him but for the price difference I guess him paired with Jackson and Latos would be OK.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
At first I was very optimistic about one of the big 3. Yo being who I was most optimistic about with all the reports. Upton getting 6 years 130+ diminishes all optimism for Yo. That said I would be cool with going A Jackson and someone like Latos on a prove it deal. I'm not a fan of giving up a pick for Fowler who I've been a fan of his tools since his days in Colorado.

People suggesting Desmond for stop gap SS then OF next year. Has he ever played the OF? I don't follow the Nats but he never blew me away when I would occasionally watch the game so I'm not the best to judge him but for the price difference I guess him paired with Jackson and Latos would be OK.

excellent post.

i am in total agreement.