Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

Why does everyone want Desmond all of a sudden? Aren't you the same people who don't want Fowler due to his bad defense? Desmond's is pretty bad as well.

We have a hole at SS. Desmnd is a potential 25/25 hr/ss SS who can help out :D. One of the best offensive SS's in game, I think last year was a down year and he will be better this year on the right team.

Not saying I prioritize him over Cespedes or perhaps other holes.

The thing about Desmond is... from my point of view we are one of his only suitors, so it makes sense.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:48 PM)
Why does everyone want Desmond all of a sudden? Aren't you the same people who don't want Fowler due to his bad defense? Desmond's is pretty bad as well.

Desmond's always had a positive defensive WAR. He's also supposedly a fantastic clubhouse leader.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Desmond is much worse defensively at SS than Anderson.

That is based on....what? I think you guys are overstating how poor Desmond's defense is. Desmond's 2015 was largely regarded as pretty poor and he still ranked as a better defender than Alexei. He's a league average to slightly below league average defensive SS. His value is heavily tied to his offense.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
That is based on....what? I think you guys are overstating how poor Desmond's defense is. Desmond's 2015 was largely regarded as pretty poor and he still ranked as a better defender than Alexei. He's a league average to slightly below league average defensive SS. His value is heavily tied to his offense.

I agree, his defense isn't great by any means but he's far from the butcher many are saying he is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
I don't disagree with any of this, and I do think lots of improvements have been made. I do think scouting is better. I am intrigued by Steverson's role as hitting coordinator on lower levels we are hearing about. I am excited for Marco Paddy's returns.

But these two things are driving me nuts:

- That we are middling in our team strategy for only incremental progress at the ML level, and never cashing in on excellent value if it means temporary regression

- Not spending on international FA

There are these great value areas where sox are not looking at because they think "rebuilding" will kill attendance (its dead), and its preventing a period of rapid improvement when that value hits.

That is a great point. It all just depends on the budget RH gets. The more he puts in the international FA the less there is for the MLB club. I for one would like to see more of it going to the prospect area, like the international FA, as opposed to a player like Cepedes. I think this is the way to continually keep the Sox competitive. Add more prospects via this manner to supplement the draft and the chances improve on finding the impact players.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
He also hit .233 last year. I don't know if I'd want another low-average hitter from the NL, especially the Nationals (Dunn/LaRoche)

I said I'd be fine either way. Hasn't been on a steady decline the past couple seasons?

Man I can't believe he turned down a $107 million.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
I re-upped my modest package after Frazier. This time, I'm just going to give away april/may tickets. God I hate going to games then.

Agreed. Sell them on the stub hub electronic link. Even if it's only 10 on the day of the game, I've never had unused tickets. That's what I do early in the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 11m11 minutes ago

Sources: #Tigers were negotiating with Cespedes as well as Upton.

This screams to me that Cespedes wants more than 6-132

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Agreed. Sell them on the stub hub electronic link. Even if it's only 10 on the day of the game, I've never had unused tickets. That's what I do early in the season.

I love going to those early season games. No on there, you can sit anywhere, no lines for anything...it's pretty great.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
LOL You can cut the whitesox fan angst with a butter knife at this point. For the process of healing to start he just needs to sign somewhere already.

with no offense, i just don't buy that.

i think that if the sox gets someone who can help the team.... maybe not the way cespy can, but still help the team in a long run. i honestly am thinking the fans, esp after today, the fans will not be angry if the numbers are so out of whack and the sox walks.

just my opinion.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
with no offense, i just don't buy that.

i think that if the sox gets someone who can help the team.... maybe not the way cespy can, but still help the team in a long run. i honestly am thinking the fans, esp after today, the fans will not be angry if the numbers are so out of whack and the sox walks.

just my opinion.

Who? Because I don't agree with that. The sox have been long rumored for Cespedes. It'll be a letdown if we don't get him and sign someone like Fowler.