Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
There's no way in hell, I repeat, Cespedes is going to take a 3 year deal in an offseason when all the "stars" are getting five minimum. No fricking way.

We do need him, though. Only way ss and catcher can remain black holes in the lineup is if we add another monster bat (on paper). Plus Melky and LaRoche need to bounce back and Eaton needs to hit better from Day One and not wait 2 months, but that's another topic.

Catcher is a black hole? You still can't comprehend how little catchers hit can you.

The Sox may not be willing to offer more than three years, but what does that mean if the context is that nobody is? Maybe Cespedes is finding himself in a situation where every team willing and able to offer longer contracts has already offered them - to other players. If that's not the case I don't see any reason the Sox could even be part of this pursuit, yet everyone acknowledges they are still very much alive and busy trying to acquire him. And for any fear another team will crack and offer a longer contract, I have seen no real evidence anyone is willing to do that any more than the Sox are.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
Nats made a offer to cespedes I bet its in the 5 year range.

Thank you captain useless info. You may resume your regular duties of being negative nancy.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
The Sox may not be willing to offer more than three years, but what does that mean if the context is that nobody is? Maybe Cespedes is finding himself in a situation where every team willing and able to offer longer contracts has already offered them - to other players. If that's not the case I don't see any reason the Sox could even be part of this pursuit, yet everyone acknowledges they are still very much alive and busy trying to acquire him. And for any fear another team will crack and offer a longer contract, I have seen no real evidence anyone is willing to do that any more than the Sox are.

If they only going 3 years cespedes should ask for opt out after 2016 season then.

The Washington Nationals are making a run at free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, according to a report by Fox Sports.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14615525...ngton-nationals

Nothing much said outside of that the Nationals have made an offer. Unfortunately it says nothing about years or money.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
And might be in the process of doing so, sounds like it was offered late in the day

They were listed as a finalist for him this morning. This offer is nothing new. Rosenthal has deadlines to meet & what better way to do that than to write a piece that not many have touched on?

Way too much assumption & panic goes into people's thought process when they see other teams interested or talked about.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but maybe the Sox are only willing to commit so much money to Cespedes because Abreu can opt-out after '16 and go to arbitration. I think it's a safe assumption the Sox would look to extend Abreu if/when he opts out and and will surely need money to make that happen. Keeping Abreu long term is much more important than signing Cespedes long term.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
If the sox are only willing to go 3 years, then I trust their judgment in this situation. When about 95 percent of the teams are reluctant to give a player a long term deal, there is probably a reason for it.

I can see your point regarding he other 95 % of teams. However, Sox brass hasn't exactly earned a lot of trust or benefit of the doubt with the crap they've been running out there the past few years. Not to mention keeping Ventura as manager.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
Not sure if this has been mentioned but maybe the Sox are only willing to commit so much money to Cespedes because Abreu can opt-out after '16 and go to arbitration. I think it's a safe assumption the Sox would look to extend Abreu if/when he opts out and and will surely need money to make that happen. Keeping Abreu long term is much more important than signing Cespedes long term.

The Sox can walk and chew gum at the same time. This club is in deeper than we thought if they have to put difference making moves on hold in anticipation of Abreu's future arbitration.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
They were listed as a finalist for him this morning. This offer is nothing new. Rosenthal has deadlines to meet & what better way to do that than to write a piece that not many have touched on?

Way too much assumption & panic goes into people's thought process when they see other teams interested or talked about.

Finalist yes, but I don't think the offer was reported until this evening...?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
Finalist yes, but I don't think the offer was reported until this evening...?

The Sox making an offer to him wasn't publicized until about a week & a half after it happened.

Can't rely on the beats to paint an exact timeline with the info they release.

I would fully assume that each team that is a "finalist" is because they made somewhat intruiging offers & Cespedes deems them as serious/viable candidates.