Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:46 AM)
There have been some reports out there as well about some executives feel like 2015 was a true outlier season for Cespedes and your classic free agent push, and given his career numbers I seem to agree with that. Free agency is always not the optimal route to go, but I feel like with Cespedes, you will absolutely be paying for past performances and not anything close to what he is actually going to give you.

Fowler has been a fairly consistent 2 WAR player the last 5 years and should cost as you said, nearly 70 million dollars less than Cespedes, who I'm just not sold on. Just personal preference, and I know I'm in the minority. I will also be excited if Cespedes does join the Sox, but I think it's playing with fire.

Couldn't agree more, well done

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
There have been some reports out there as well about some executives feel like 2015 was a true outlier season for Cespedes and your classic free agent push, and given his career numbers I seem to agree with that. Free agency is always not the optimal route to go, but I feel like with Cespedes, you will absolutely be paying for past performances and not anything close to what he is actually going to give you.

Fowler has been a fairly consistent 2 WAR player the last 5 years and should cost as you said, nearly 70 million dollars less than Cespedes, who I'm just not sold on. Just personal preference, and I know I'm in the minority. I will also be excited if Cespedes does join the Sox, but I think it's playing with fire.

It's worth remembering Cespedes doesn't cost a pick. That has value in and of itself. All this being said, if we're going to break the bank for the biggest contract ever, should've went for Upton IMO.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)

You should go check Cespedes numbers with RISP . Every year they have been very good. The guy knows how to hit with runners in scoring position no matter what his OBP has been.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)

So you suspect Fowler is going to pull in something in the neighborhood of 3/$50?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:56 AM)
Well, if he's really 3/$40, and Cespedes is 5/$125, and we are unwilling to go more than 3 years, I really find it odd that we haven't signed Fowler yet.

Fowler probably waiting to see how many teams want him after big 3 sign

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
I don't see why Fowler's contract will be THAT much more than Span, especially with a pick attached.

(Span signed for 3/31 for reference).

If the Sox miss out on Cespedes, at this point, I'm ready to convince myself that Fowler at 3/40 is fine.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
If the Sox miss out on Cespedes, at this point, I'm ready to convince myself that Fowler at 3/40 is fine.

I would be also but the middle of the order would still be a concern . No ones expressed too much concern about Frazier batting 4th because he doesn't cost anything close to what Cespedes will get but that's my biggest worry without Cespedes. Of course Abreu could get 120 RBI's with Fowler but I'd still prefer the guy who can drive in runs. That was what hurt so much last year . Get guys on and no one drove them in time and time again.

If we're giving up a draft pick for Fowler, we might as well double down and add Desmond or Kendrick.

Why not maximize your ability to control the potential impact the same way we attempted last year losing the 2nd and 3rd rounders?

Fowler/Desmond probably provides the most combined WAR, but the highest salaries to deal with.

If you brought in Kendrick, you'd have to move Lawrie to RF/LF and/or change Melky's position as well.

Of course, we're just as likely to end up with Jackson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
Knowing where things stand right now, I almost wish they would have just signed Kendrick, Desmond and stuck Lawrie in the outfield. Lawrie couldn't possibly be worse than Garcia out there, could he?

That way, we'd have the potential for above average offensive production from every position on the field, DH would be improved with Garcia/LaRoche platooning and Saladino/Sanchez would fall into their more suitable bench roles.

To hell with it...it's to the point where you keep wasting Sale/Q/Rodon seasons and you're increasing the probability each and every season that goes by that one of them goes down to injury and then you're absolutely screwed 100%.

The thing is, all these draft picks are going to be arriving way too late to "save" the White Sox in 2019 or 2020 anyway.

And we still retain our higher first round draft pick.

I give in! Time to move on and sign a few other players to strengthen this roster for 2016. This soap opera has gone on long enough!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Well, if he's really 3/$40, and Cespedes is 5/$125, and we are unwilling to go more than 3 years, I really find it odd that we haven't signed Fowler yet.

I don't believe for a second Cespedes will get 5/$125M. I think he'll be somewhere in the 5/$100M & 5/$110M range. As for Fowler, I think 3/$42M is his cap. On an AAV basis, you're talking about a $8M max difference. For that money, I'll easily take Cespedes. People are sleeping on his defense (playing CF has hurt his value) and the floor is provides. I feel confident we'd get a 3 WAR player with Cespedes with the upside for more. Guys like Fowler are dangerous because if they slip just a little (and as a poor defender, his value relies entirely on his bat), you're looking at a guy you no longer want to start but are stuck with because they make too much money (LaRoche is a perfect example).