Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

I don't think Fowler will be that cheap. The market has gone up and I think Fowler could shoot for something like Melky's 3/42M . Not trying to piss on the Fowler idea as I think there have been good points and discussions already as to why he would be a more reasonable alternative to Cespedes. Personally I'm on the fence but if the Sox signed Fowler I wouldn't be pissed since there are aspects in his game I really like and he won't cost 22M or so per year and shouldn't have to sign him to a long term contract.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Why do you keep mentioning Lawrie as an outfielder?

Trying to figure out any possible way to improve the balance of the offense without spending too much money...

SIGH.

I'd still go with Jackson/Desmond but Fowler alone seems more likely...and then the whole wait and fix things at the trade deadline standby.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
If we're giving up a draft pick for Fowler, we might as well double down and add Desmond or Kendrick.

Why not maximize your ability to control the potential impact the same way we attempted last year losing the 2nd and 3rd rounders?

Fowler/Desmond probably provides the most combined WAR, but the highest salaries to deal with.

If you brought in Kendrick, you'd have to move Lawrie to RF/LF and/or change Melky's position as well.

Of course, we're just as likely to end up with Jackson.

NO way the Sox punt on 2 draft picks in the top 50. Or the rest of those moves, to be honest.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
I give in! Time to move on and sign a few other players to strengthen this roster for 2016. This soap opera has gone on long enough!

Fathom and I were talking last night about how making a few moves (Desmond/Jackson) could be more beneficial that one Cespedes. I wouldn't mind signing both Jackson and Fowler. Sit LaRoche on the bench, move Melky to DH and trade Avi for whatever.

I'm with you though, growing tired of the Cespedes groundhog day myself. Feels like an endless loop. Time to finish putting the 2016 White Sox together.

Does the FO seriously think the 3 year crap will sit well with Boras? Why would Cespedes want to enter free agency at 33? It makes no sense for him to take a deal that's less than 4 years unless you're willing to pay him $30 million a year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
Does the FO seriously think the 3 year crap will sit well with Boras? Why would Cespedes want to enter free agency at 33? It makes no sense for him to take a deal that's less than 4 years unless you're willing to pay him $30 million a year.

I don't think Boras represents Cespedes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
The fact that this thread is titled anything "per Rabbit" tells me Soxtalk has officially lost it.

I wonder if lurkers/guests who don't really know posters see "per Rabbit", have no idea who "Rabbit" is, and think we're full of it/getting rumors from a rabbit :lol:

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
I don't think Boras represents Cespedes.

Oops. Point still stands though. I don't think trying to low-ball Cespedes is going to make him more likely to sign. Especially when Upton just got a 6 year deal and is only 2 years younger. Even Gordon got a 4 year deal.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
Oops. Point still stands though. I don't think trying to low-ball Cespedes is going to make him more likely to sign. Especially when Upton just got a 6 year deal and is only 2 years younger. Even Gordon got a 4 year deal.

I agree. I would hope the sox would be willing to compromise and do 4. I highly doubt he signs for only 3

If we do sign Fowler instead of Cespedes, we'll just be waiting for the "curse of the second-tier free agent who becomes more attractive" to kick in, haha.

About the only "premium" FA we've signed or traded for in recent years who has come close to performing to expectations was Robertson. LaRoche, Cabrera and Shark were huge disappointments.

Of course, since this is the White Sox, we have no choice but to play along with the "budget-conscious" approach and just hope that eventually one of these guys like Jackson, Fowler or Desmond will surprise on the upside rather than dragging down payroll flexibility.

I just have a hard time believing 3 years is the maximum the White Sox will go. The FO would have to be completely out of their collective minds to think he would take a 3-year deal; and in the meantime put 100% of their time into Cespedes and not pursue any other FA's that could help the team. Additionally, it is hard for me to believe the FO is leaking information to the media about a 3-year stance. They usually seem to keep their business very close to their vest.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:32 AM)
It would be hysterical if the Sox signed him to a 3 year contract.

There's no way in hell, I repeat, Cespedes is going to take a 3 year deal in an offseason when all the "stars" are getting five minimum. No fricking way.

We do need him, though. Only way ss and catcher can remain black holes in the lineup is if we add another monster bat (on paper). Plus Melky and LaRoche need to bounce back and Eaton needs to hit better from Day One and not wait 2 months, but that's another topic.

Edited by greg775

Guest Yoenis Cespedes
There's no way in hell, I repeat, Cespedes is going to take a 3 year deal in an offseason when all the "stars" are getting five minimum. No fricking way.

Preach the good word, brother.

QUOTE (Yoenis Cespedes @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
This ain't what we discussed, White Sox.

Yo isn't cool with you no more.

Outro.

This would work better if you took this act to twitter and used google translate to turn it into spanish. Then we could have posters quote it as a source.

Edited by southsideirish71