Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
147 games in 2014. 129 in 2013. And he'd be able to DH some along with Pedro Alvarez who we sign.

Alvarez would be a worse pick-up than Werth. Alvarez isn't much better than LaRoche basically, in terms of value, since he can't field to save his life. We have enough of those types of guys...Avi.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm not the only one emotionally effected by a baseball team that isn't even f***ing playing games. Cool.

this was all great.... sox fans exchanging info and news. it is just great.

so i am being a cheerleader. but i am a die hard sox fan.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Alvarez would be a worse pick-up than Werth. Alvarez isn't much better than LaRoche basically, in terms of value, since he can't field to save his life. We have enough of those types of guys...Avi.

Always good to look these things up before commenting. Alvarez, as a platoon DH wouldn't be required to field anything. His inability to do so is what has driven his price down to dirt cheap. 24 homers and a.799 OPS against righties last year.

The reason he hasn't taken the 5 year offer is because its no more a 5 year deal than the White Sox 3 year offer (that we all know is out there). This is a matter of branding a contract proposal in the media to screw with the Mets. The Nationals probably offered Cespedes the same 3 year + 2 option years deal the White Sox likely have, with the Mets tagging a little behind because their financial situation is so broken. The Nationals dont want the Mets to keep Cespedes, and if the Mets must keep Cespedes the Nationals want the Mets to pay a steep price for the privilege. So they offer a deal that's already been offered but leak to their people in the media that it's a 5 year offer, when in essence either an opt-out, team option, player option, mutual option or combination shortens the likely length of the deal to 3 years.

I'm almost certain that is how its playing out. If the Nationals are offering a true 5y/$100 guaranteed deal they would have Cespedes right now.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:57 PM)
Always good to look these things up before commenting. Alvarez, as a platoon DH wouldn't be required to field anything. His inability to do so is what has driven his price down to dirt cheap. 24 homers and a.799 OPS against righties last year.

a great call and as we talked about this earlier this week, the idea of his baggage / rep is also hurting his chances.

i think he needs a yr to reestablish himself and as your stats shown, a platoon is a great way to do that rebuilding.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
I'm wondering if he got 5 year deal from the NATS, if he does why don't he sign it already.

Posturing from his agents. If this was the best deal after months of negotiations with all of MLB, he would take the deal and sign. I have seen absolutely zero reason they would want Cespedes considering the players they currently have in the OF. This is a move to get the Sox to up the dollars or years.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:00 AM)
Posturing from his agents. If this was the best deal after months of negotiations with all of MLB, he would take the deal and sign. I have seen absolutely zero reason they would want Cespedes considering the players they currently have in the OF. This is a move to get the Sox to up the dollars or years.

maybe.... just maybe... it may also be back loaded like crazy. just thinking no proof.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
You do know JR does not sign players right?

My guess is Hahn has the money but does not think 5/$100M for Cespedas is worth the investment.

If he signs for 4/$80 then there can be a debate.

I want the White Sox to have a philosophy and stop with the every now and then All In mantra. You are either in or you are out as your organizational premise. Figure it out and follow through with it. Stop pissing on my shoes and telling me it is raining.

When it`s a big $$$ signing like Cespedes is gonna get JR signs off on it.Pretty much everything big ticket goes thru Shrek,unless they changed the way they do business but that is how it always was.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
Take it for what it's worth, but an administrator on the "Chicago White Sox Territory" Facebook page says he knows someone close to organization that says we are still negotiating with him. He mentions it in the comments in the post about Matt Albers.

He's probably guessing.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
Idk about that if we only going 3 years.

Read your actual question. You asked an "either or" question. I replied with "yes".

Basically, until he's actually signed, it's all rumors, speculation, people gaming the market through the media, etc.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I honestly think they were until the Nationals came in and added years onto the deal that the others were offering.

If the FO thinks Cespedes is the best choice and they don`t sign him because they`re worrying about 2-3 yrs down the road then they deserve an empty ballpark.If they think Cespedes is the best bet to get to the playoffs and maybe the WS then they do whatever they have to to sign him.If they don`t think he can get them in the playoffs they shouldn`t even be talking to him.1 WS in 35 yrs they should be doing all they can to win.