Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
The mystery team is an ass covering trick all these guys use. When is a "mystery team" not involved? Unless it is a slam dunk they are going some place, they say mystery team so if they go somewhere else, that was the mystery team even though there may have been 4 or 5 mystery teams, and some of the information they reported was a mystery to those involved.

Yup. Gota love that old mystery team

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
The mystery team is an ass covering trick all these guys use. When is a "mystery team" not involved? Unless it is a slam dunk they are going some place, they say mystery team so if they go somewhere else, that was the mystery team even though there may have been 4 or 5 mystery teams, and some of the information they reported was a mystery to those involved.

To he fair, heyman likely agrees with all this. He put the hashtag in front of it as to show it's a bit of a joke, although serious at the same time.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Three year deals are right up our alley, why wouldn't we be all over this!?

If he truly would like to return to the Mets, he would likely choose them over the Sox if both teams offered a 3-year deal.

Two days ago, I thought the Sox were in the thick of it at least with negotiations. I'd have to think that the Sox might be moving on to other options by now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
Well, everyone in NY is reporting he's going to be talking to the Mets again today...

So we made a three year offer for how much...? $60 million? $55 million?

We don't know that the Sox have made a final offer. It was speculation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
If the Mets are offering 3 years/$65-75 million and opt-outs, what would the Sox realistically have to bid to beat that?

They'd probably have to offer several million more per season for the length of the contract. But if its a three year deal, especially with an opt-out, you can afford to do it. Obviously if Mets are offering 3/75 we shouldnt just top that, but if 3/65 is on the table we could definitely raise ours

Edited by Flash Tizzle

According to a report from Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, Cespedes is torn. It's either accept a longer deal with more money from the Nationals or stay with the Mets, where he's wanted to be all along.

From the report:

According to two sources with knowledge of his thinking, he prefers to stay with the Mets.

The lead agent for Cespedes, CAA's Brodie Van Wagenen, remains in touch with the Mets, and the two sides are scheduled to speak again on Friday, sources said.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2016/01/y...report_say.html

Over a week ago it was rumored the Sox moved on from Cespedes. I think it's time to stop chasing the Cespedes dragon Sox fans. Sounds as though the dragon wants to stay with the team he went to the WS with.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
If you're the Yankees, who would you be willing to accept from the Sox for Gardner?

Same thing with for Taylor/Nats...Adams and Hawkins? He was the 38th rated prospect in baseball a year ago.

Profar in the outfield?

There has to be someone.

And that's the issue. Aside from the fact that the Sox FO has taken this roster on a road trip and stopped 75% of the way there, that's another issue with completing it. We've gotten all of our new/more valuable resources via the trade market. Free agency is where we need[ed] to strike, as it will be difficult for us to make trades without giving up valuable assets.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Gardner's pretty good.

2014: 87 R 142 H 17 HR 58 RBI 21 SB .749 OPS

2015: 94 R 148 H 16 HR 66 RBI 20 SB .742 OPS

Now that I look at it, he does seem like a decent fit.

This lineup isn't too bad.

Eaton

Gardner

Abreu

Frazier

Melky

Lawrie

LaRoche

Navarro

Saladino

I guess it depends on what the Sox would have to give up for him. I wonder if Danish and Hawkins would be enough if the Sox took on his entire salary.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
If you're the Yankees, who would you be willing to accept from the Sox for Gardner?

Same thing with for Taylor/Nats...Adams and Hawkins? He was the 38th rated prospect in baseball a year ago.

Profar in the outfield?

There has to be someone.

Caulfield. You and I have been discussing alternatives for how long now? I can't even remember all the names we've thrown out there. ;)