Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
I've been pretty irrational through this process with Cespedes. Both raBBit & Y2Jimmy both know that. But, how can anyone be pissed at the Sox for how this all came together?

Gordon wanted to go back to KC, same with Cespedes in NYM, & Upton didn't want to be here & got 6 years.

What exactly was Hahn supposed to do?

Let's cool off & think rationally before blurting out some insult at the Sox organization or Hahn in general.

This x100

I've been pretty irrational through this process with Cespedes. Both raBBit & Y2Jimmy both know that. But, how can anyone be pissed at the Sox for how this all came together?

Gordon wanted to go back to KC, same with Cespedes in NYM, & Upton didn't want to be here & got 6 years.

Let's cool off & think rationally before blurting out some insult at the Sox organization or Hahn in general.

You hit the nail right on the head. There are still some pretty strong pieces out there that would make the White Sox a more well rounded and better overall team than "one" Cespedes could do. They just have to go get them...and they better do it next week before Soxfest :)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)
With LaRoche/Danks coming off the books this year, we'd save some money to be able to backload a deal. The White Sox have more than enough resources to exceed our current payroll.

Cespedes is getting $27.5 million for 2016. There is no backloading.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
Still just hope that if they were in on Cespedes that they use that money elsewhere in the next few weeks.

It will be interesting to see. I'm not sure there are improvements out there. EJ needs a shot in the rotation. Desmond is interesting but the sox need defebse there for the pitching staff.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:39 AM)
It will be interesting to see. I'm not sure there are improvements out there. EJ needs a shot in the rotation. Desmond is interesting but the sox need defebse there for the oitching staff.

Where did the notion come that Desmond is bad on D?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
If the Sox really wanted to, I think they can get Desmond & Fowler for under 27.5 million for 2016.

It's hard for me to think of a move that would hurt are overall team defense, which is already pretty bad, but this would be one of them.

Sadly, these are a couple of the only options out there.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
If the Sox really wanted to, I think they can get Desmond & Fowler for under 27.5 million for 2016.

The problem is those two draft picks are arguably worth another $20 million in short/long-term (draft pool and lost cost-controlled WAR over time) consequences historically.

Unless you just assume that the Sox don't have another Adams selection in them.

Hostetler deserves the benefit of the doubt.

But, as I said, if they do sign one, go for it and sign both...pick a direction, any direction will do.

It feels so crappy that no player would want to come here, though. It speaks volumes as to how this organization is viewed by players.

IN the case of Upton, it seems like he pretty much told the Sox he wasn't interested. If players are doing that, things need to change. That is unacceptable.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
It's hard for me to think of a move that would hurt are overall team defense, which is already pretty bad, but this would be one of them.

You are misinformed on Desmond and Fowler's defense. Especially with Fowler moving to a corner.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
It feels so crappy that no player would want to come here, though. It speaks volumes as to how this organization is viewed by players.

IN the case of Upton, it seems like he pretty much told the Sox he wasn't interested. If players are doing that, things need to change. That is unacceptable.

Robertson and Melky turned down better offers to come here just one year ago.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
Where did the notion come that Desmond is bad on D?

Looking at his error total in isolation, especially the first couple of months when he was surely distracted by the overhanging contract negotiations.

This is the same player a year ago who would have broken the all-time Sox recorded contract offer by nearly $40 million. He has some game.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)

Fowler > Avi and Desmond is regarded as average to above average at short, which we don't know Saladino can be.

Fowler + Desmond >>> Cespedes.

That said, I'd prefer Austin Jackson and Desmond to save a pick. Still adds 20+ HR to the team and Jackson is a great CF.

Edited by Knackattack