Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 01:13 AM)
The Sox shouldn't sign BOTH Fowler and Desmond. Quite frankly...I don't see the point of signing Desmond at all. If you're going to give up a pick, get an OBP guy that can hit #2 legit, play CF if needed, and put that "SS $" on an SP flier.

There's legit power in the IF now at 3 of the 4 spots. Let Saladino be a defensive/no offense stop gap until Anderson is ready. Live with that.

But you HAVE to do something about the OF.

Frustrating...Hahn put out a suitcase with $8M to dump LaRoche and STILL nobody wanted it.

I agree they shouldn't sign both and I'll just go ahead and say its just a bad idea and not even a realistic one.No chance the Sox give up two picks again this year.

I like Saladino and love his defensive potential at SS but I'm not against the idea of signing Desmond depending on the price and contract length.

As for the OF. I agree that something needs to be done but I seriously doubt the upgrade comes from the FA market. If it happens it will be through a trade. I've been saying this for a while now because I just didn't think the high cost FA outfielders were a fit for the Sox budget, right or wrong.

Just my own speculation but I think Hahn is looking for the OF equivalent of the Lawrie trade where the Sox give up young low minor league level prospects.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:24 AM)
Just my own speculation but I think Hahn is looking for the OF equivalent of the Lawrie trade where the Sox give up young low minor league level prospects.

Nope.

OF is more important than SS, especially now.

THE MOVE was to buy an OF that kept 3 top 50 picks. So easy - had it right there; OBP, Power, RISP, Defense. BLEW IT.

Ian Desmond is a disaster in waiting.

ANOTHER GODDAMN NL power only value guy coming here... again. And a pick out the window..

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 01:44 AM)
Nope.

OF is more important than SS, especially now.

THE MOVE was to buy an OF that kept 3 top 50 picks. So easy - had it right there; OBP, Power, RISP, Defense. BLEW IT.

Ian Desmond is a disaster in waiting.

ANOTHER GODDAMN NL power only value guy coming here... again. And a pick out the window..

So what youre really saying is you just want to complain. Got it.

Nice talking to ya.

No - what I'm saying is:

We needed a power bat in the OF. There was a big pool, didn't get any of them.

Desmond is a mistake.

You don't like that assessment - fine. But that's my opinion.

"Nice talking to ya" too.

Edited by CB2.0

That would make this whole thread pointless...we'd sign players right and left and wonder how long it would last and how crazy/rich the owner is, probably feeling more sorry for him than ourselves if the team never managed to win the World Series.

That's also part of the explanation for why the fans there are so crazy about their teams, they feel he cares just as much if not more about the team winning than the bottom line/profitability/team valuation/ROI.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:35 AM)
so they can win even less titles?

This sounds like a Dick Allen response...would the White Sox be better off with a Twins/Tigers/Indians AL Central run with no World Series but extended/sustained dominance and profitability?

Would Braves fans trade 13-14 consecutive winning seasons for a second World Series title?

You make it sound like a bad thing their goal every season is to win it all...when of course the odds of getting hot at the right time and not losing momentum through three consecutive Series still makes it a complete crapshoot.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:54 AM)
If by this statement you mean they make decisions that ensure they continue to amass enormous wealth for themselves and the investors, yes, I would agree. They've managed to take care of themselves very nicely over the years. It's just too bad these so-called "decision makers" haven't even remotely come close to doing well by us, the fans, the paying customers. One playoff appearance in the past decade, and a very brief one at that. Just five in the thirty five years that said massive wealth has been accumulating. Obviously the decisions to ensure profit have taken precedence over decisions to ensure success on the field. The record speaks for itself.

The problem isn't the decision-making process as much as the actual results.

Although even that process hasn't been 100% smooth between KW and Hahn if you follow all the clues.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
Sure would be nice if there was some young breakout potential at positions like SS, 2B and RF. Maybe a few flaws, but potential to turn a negative into a positive.

Some ideas:

The Dodgers have a bunch of OF, why not grab Trayce Thompson? He's at least a good defender. They also have Micah Johnson, might be useful to get a LH bat in a lineup that feature Adam LaRoche as its premier LH bat. Also, Oakland's got this SS, not so good with the glove but he can hit. I think his name is Semien?

Don't forget we need some RH pitching depth and they have this Montas kid.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
I am not melting down. Please don't put words in my mouth.

It's just annoying how the Royals and Tigers upgraded and the Sox got absolutely no one. But that's how it always is so I'm not surprised.

So, I shut down the computer about 9 last night and am just opening it up now. Disappointed yes but, I hope there is not more disappointment to come. Hopefully the acquisitions of both Lawrie and Frazier do not go to waste. OK White Sox what now??

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
SoxFest will be entertaining to say the least :lol:

I would expect a few things are done before SoxFest. I just can't believe they want to go there with this bad taste in everyone's mouth. I may be wrong but I hope the next week will be interesting and a few positive additions are made.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
So, I shut down the computer about 9 last night and am just opening it up now. Disappointed yes but, I hope there is not more disappointment to come. Hopefully the acquisitions of both Lawrie and Frazier do not go to waste. OK White Sox what now??

Guessing it's either

SS Saladino

OF Fowler

Or

SS Desmond

OF Jackson/Garcia

Bruce Levine said this morning that the White Sox were in it until the $$ got crazy. He said they were never making Cespedes one of the highest paid OF's in the game. He said that expects something else because they need to finish the job. He's speculating about Colorado but that doesn't really make sense either.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)

SoxFest will be entertaining to say the least :lol:

I would expect a few things are done before SoxFest. I just can't believe they want to go there with this bad taste in everyone's mouth. I may be wrong but I hope the next week will be interesting and a few positive additions are made.

if nothing else is done... and the team stands pat, the sox FO will have their game plan set and will be prepared for those kind of questions .... they will be ready, believe you me, they will be prepared, esp appealing to the cost of the FA's..... the main counter, for me would be go at them with their suppose budget and never increasing it and all those lost opportunities.. in the 90's and poor management selections of the GM and drafting.

do not make it personal and stick to a prepared and well thought of game plan.... do not loose your composure and smile.... condescendingly do it like you would be in court.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Bruce Levine said this morning that the White Sox were in it until the $$ got crazy. He said they were never making Cespedes one of the highest paid OF's in the game. He said that expects something else because they need to finish the job. He's speculating about Colorado but that doesn't really make sense either.

Yeah I don't want to give up anything of value for Blackmon or Dickerson. Idk I guess it depends.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Yeah I don't want to give up anything of value for Blackmon or Dickerson. Idk I guess it depends.

i don't know about the Col players, i have not been that impress.....

i like the Jackson move or trade. pretty much as i posted yesterday as a salary dump from another team and a pickup for the sox.

it the sox do decide to add pieces, i would be very surprise and then i would like to see who??

thinking from yesterday, i am getting sold on Desmond at SS and sacrificing that pick. i can see how it can help in many ways.