Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Bruce Levine said this morning that the White Sox were in it until the $$ got crazy. He said they were never making Cespedes one of the highest paid OF's in the game. He said that expects something else because they need to finish the job. He's speculating about Colorado but that doesn't really make sense either.

You can't be mad at them for missing out on Cespedes given the Mets offer. Having said that, I'll sure as s*** be pissed if they stand pat and enter 2016 with Avi in RF. At a bare minimum, we should add Jackson. I'm open to a trade if a better option exists, but the price has to be right. None of the three Colorado OFs make sense IMO, as they're all overrated or way too expensive. Plus Colorado seems unrealistic in their demands based on media reports.

I also think after missing on the big 3 OFs, you got to use those resources to fill two holes. I don't care if that is a SP like Latos or Fister or going after Desmond for SS, our goal should be to reduce the number high-risk spots on the roster. And as much as I despise Avi right now, I do like him as an insurance policy for LaRoche at DH, which adding a legit starting OF allows us to (whether Avi is in AAA or on the bench).

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
Fowler > Avi and Desmond is regarded as average to above average at short, which we don't know Saladino can be.

Fowler + Desmond >>> Cespedes.

That said, I'd prefer Austin Jackson and Desmond to save a pick. Still adds 20+ HR to the team and Jackson is a great CF.

Wasn't there a rumor, or maybe just an article, about Jackson and the Cubs? If you had your choice where would you want to sign? Just asking.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Jackson too. Obviously they'll only pick one, but that was the word on both.

If they clear Hammel off the books, it's simple.

Soler to TB for pitching...Heyward back to RF where he has the most value and comfort.

With all the money the Cubs have already spent, they'll sacrifice another $5-7 million to get more certainty from Fowler.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
If they clear Hammel off the books, it's simple.

Soler to TB for pitching...Heyward back to RF where he has the most value and comfort.

With all the money the Cubs have already spent, they'll sacrifice another $5-7 million to get more certainty from Fowler.

So they have to make 2 pretty major trades just to get Fowler on the team. Odds seem long to me.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Are you kidding? We really couldn't match the Mets offer for Cespedes?

Honestly, what was the point in even trading for Frazier if not to actually try and field a full roster capable of making the playoffs? We have the worst outfield in the league.

That offer is pretty gross

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I assume Hahn has some kind of plan here.

He sure does, a three year one! Surely you remember hearing about that. Kenny Williams explained it to us all in great detail last June when he was trying to explain a way the horrid baseball that had been played up to that point in the season.

And now as we inch closer to starting Year Two of said three year plan, as things stand now, given the abject failure of being able to be competitive in the marketplace for premium available talent, we find ourselves staring at Cabrera in left, Avi in right, Salidino at short, and LaRoche at DH. Those are some big holes. We are currently running below average in nearly half of our lineup, and it's January 23.

Our options now to improve are on the second and third tier of the free agent market, the same lane we shopped in last winter that brought us Cabrera and LaRoche. Or trade some of our better but now limited supply of minor league talent to bring in appropriate upgrades. All because somehow the so-called brain trust in the front office set completely unrealistic terms for being competitive for the top talent out there. The big spender teams were no where to be found, and the Sox still couldn't get the job done. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Maybe, just maybe, there is the proverbial rabbit still to be pulled from the hat at the last hour that will allow this team to compete this year. I hope so, at least to address two of those gaping holes currently in the lineup. Otherwise Year Two of the big plan doesn't project to be a whole lot better than Year One, not by much, anyway.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
That deal really only makes sense for the Mets in my opinion.

I'm not really sure that's even true. I said that I would offer a 3 year deal with a high AAV to keep the deal short. I don't think I would have gone that high.

Can we stop acting like because we missed out on the Big 3 that all of Hahn's plans fail to come to fruition? He targeted Lawrie and Frazier and got those done. What was he supposed to do here? There was no way we were going to pry away Gordon or Cespedes unless we grossly overpaid, and Upton didn't want to come here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Who knows, if Cuddyer doesn't retire, the Mets don't go this high, maybe he winds up with the White Sox.

Exactly. Then they'd just have a $13 mill bench player in Cuddyer (maybe platoon at most with their 1B who's name escapes me) with likely no other upgrades. Plus they also gave up something of value for Cespedes in July so this makes it look better than a 2-3 month rental for them. They could also get a draft pick for him when/if he leaves.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Can we stop acting like because we missed out on the Big 3 that all of Hahn's plans fail to come to fruition? He targeted Lawrie and Frazier and got those done. What was he supposed to do here? There was no way we were going to pry away Gordon or Cespedes unless we grossly overpaid, and Upton didn't want to come here.

Agree. Still options out there to upgrade at either SS or outfield through trade or free agency.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Are you kidding? We really couldn't match the Mets offer for Cespedes?

Honestly, what was the point in even trading for Frazier if not to actually try and field a full roster capable of making the playoffs? We have the worst outfield in the league.

The point of trading for Frazier was to improve the 3B position, which they did.

I'm happy as hell the Sox aren't the team that signed Cespedes to that crazy contract. The Mets can have him.

There are plenty of outfielders available on the trade market. It's won't be difficult finding an upgrade over Avi's sorry ass.

+1!

Short of giving him 5/110 of guaranteed money, the Sox probably didn't have much of a chance after the Mets entered the picture. I'm glad he's not coming to the Sox.

I think Jackson and Desmond on short term contracts have a chance to work out. Bring in hungry, high character guys and hope they and some other guys (Cabrera and LaRoche) can bounce back while Eaton, Frazier and Abreu can put up All-Star seasons.

The Sox probably aren't making the playoffs this year, but if they're trying to re-create 2005 in 2016, they would at least have a shot with a couple more veterans.

Sometimes choice #4or #5 turns out better than your other ones. KW wasn't nearly as hated when the Sox had smaller payrolls and had to go farther down his wish list. When more money became available, the choices higher on the list were acquired and they didn't work out.

Right now, I don't think there is a Sox fan anywhere that doesn't want them to have one of Cespedes, Upton, or Gordon, but a couple of years from now it is pretty unlikely we won't be thinking thank God the Sox didn't sign at least one of these guys.

There are still players available both free agents and trades, and the season doesn't start for over 2 months. The fact that they let Alexei walk over $4 million indicates to me they aren't just going to stand pat here.

I would really be surprised if another starting quality OF isn't acquired, and maybe a guy like Desmond, although I can't see that on a one year contract, and if he goes multiple, where will he play assuming Anderson continues to grow?

Early in the offseason I mentioned Desmond and thought he could move to 3rd, but that was before Frazier.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)

I like Lawrie and Upton but how do we know that is who Hahn targeted??? Did he say so?? Maybe one or both was his 2nd or 3rd choice.

I think there is definitely a notion that players don't want to play for the Sox, middle of the road team, lacking prestige as a franchise, bottom of the barrel in attendance, etc. But part of the blame is also the bombing of other FA signings, especially hitters in recent year. Had those guys, Dunn, LaRoche, and to some extent Melky, had performed better with the Sox than they did before, it would have been a more appealing case to attract other FA's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
Sometimes choice #4or #5 turns out better than your other ones. KW wasn't nearly as hated when the Sox had smaller payrolls and had to go farther down his wish list. When more money became available, the choices higher on the list were acquired and they didn't work out.

Right now, I don't think there is a Sox fan anywhere that doesn't want them to have one of Cespedes, Upton, or Gordon, but a couple of years from now it is pretty unlikely we won't be thinking thank God the Sox didn't sign at least one of these guys.

There are still players available both free agents and trades, and the season doesn't start for over 2 months. The fact that they let Alexei walk over $4 million indicates to me they aren't just going to stand pat here.

I would really be surprised if another starting quality OF isn't acquired, and maybe a guy like Desmond, although I can't see that on a one year contract, and if he goes multiple, where will he play assuming Anderson continues to grow?

Early in the offseason I mentioned Desmond and thought he could move to 3rd, but that was before Frazier.

Assuming Anderson takes 2 years to be ready, Lawrie and Frazier are free agents in 2 years. So if Desmond is still under contract then he could move to maybe 3B or 2nd. If Anderson is ready next year, potentially trade one of the 3 Frazier, Desmond, Lawrie. Maybe Lawrie can play OF he is a ridiculous athlete. That said I wouldn't sign Desmond with the intention of switching a players position just because.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
I think there is definitely a notion that players don't want to play for the Sox, middle of the road team, lacking prestige as a franchise, bottom of the barrel in attendance, etc. But part of the blame is also the bombing of other FA signings, especially hitters in recent year. Had those guys, Dunn, LaRoche, and to some extent Melky, had performed better with the Sox than they did before, it would have been a more appealing case to attract other FA's.

Again, just 1 year ago two guys signed here with higher offers elsewhere. I think the whole "players don't want to come here" is overblown.

Edited by OmarComing25