Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Yep. I'm skeptical a guy like Cespedes falls into our lap by default. If his price really drops, we're going to have a lot more competition and I doubt we come out ahead at that point. If we're going to land him, we'll need to put a solid offer out there that keeps the competition on the sidelines. We don't seem willing to do that, at this point.

Again, who are the teams that are going to jump in? I see a lot of posters claiming more teams will jump in, but few are offering suggestions about which teams actually would. I think it's an overblown fear.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
Again, who are the teams that are going to jump in? I see a lot of posters claiming more teams will jump in, but few are offering suggestions about which teams actually would. I think it's an overblown fear.

Toronto and St. Louis are the only ones I can think of. I still think we end up with Cespedes or Upton though.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
I wonder is that is just his opinion or confirmed from his inside source.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 1m1 minute ago

#WhiteSox are not "out" on Cespedes. Team is slow playing the market and Upton will be playing somewhere other than Chicago in '16.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 5m5 minutes ago

Obviously these situations are fluid and can change on a dime but at this point I would lead you to remove Upton from your focus. #WhiteSox

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 8m8 minutes ago

#WhiteSox, like most teams involved, are slowplaying market but Dexter Fowler is far more likely than Justin Upton at this point.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 8m8 minutes ago

If you're a #WhiteSox fan saying "When are the Sox going to get Upton/Cespedes?" Focus your attention elsewhere.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
raBBit on twitter just now says Fowler has moved into most likely, with Cespedes and Upton now being more difficult possibilities. Seems to really dismiss Upton now.

His source is the predicted years & money Upton is going to get.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
raBBit on twitter just now says Fowler has moved into most likely, with Cespedes and Upton now being more difficult possibilities. Seems to really dismiss Upton now.

He said the Sox should be in on Cespedes until the very end. Upton isn't happening. To me, it sounds like they are in on Cespedes. If they doesn't pan out, they can sign Fowler for cheaper and still upgrade the team.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
That's ridiculous. There is a huge difference between SS and the outfield. There is not nearly that same difference between LF and RF.

Excuse me, but I must have missed where it was said that he wouldn't consider playing RF. He played CF for the Mets, so I just assumed that he

hadn't played RF, because none of his former teams had asked him to.

All you try and do is force square pegs into round holes because of "fits" in your mind. It goes back to wanting Grady Sizemore batting cleanup(!!!???!!) when the guy hadn't swung a bat in 2 years because the guy hits left handed. If Cespedes arm profiles so well as a right fielder, WHY HAVENT ANY OTHER TEAMS PUT HIM THERE?

Let me know when you get the answer to that, I will be over here convincing Dexter Fowler to stop switch hitting

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
I don't enjoy switching positions for players, but YC does seem to be a perfect fit for RF except that he has not played it. Wouldn't you want him shutting off 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home ?

I don't want a guy playing a position that he wants no part of. And I'm not about to force him to that position just because he has a good arm

I'm willing to bet the Sox are out on Upton, like raBBit is leading on to.

I think they are much more likely to end up with Fowler but if the O's trade for any of the Rockies OF'ers, that helps the Sox out tremendously, because I would assume Davis wouldn't be an option for them anymore either.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm willing to bet the Sox are out on Upton, like raBBit is leading on to.

I think they are much more likely to end up with Fowler but if the O's trade for any of the Rockies OF'ers, that helps the Sox out tremendously, because I would assume Davis wouldn't be an option for them anymore either.

I think Davis is going back to the Orioles eventually and they'll add an OF as well. Not Cespedes or Upton though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
I think Davis is going back to the Orioles eventually and they'll add an OF as well. Not Cespedes or Upton though.

Them trading for an OF'er & backing out on Davis would be a best case scenario, though. I'm still really hoping for Cespedes.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
He said the Sox should be in on Cespedes until the very end. Upton isn't happening. To me, it sounds like they are in on Cespedes. If they doesn't pan out, they can sign Fowler for cheaper and still upgrade the team.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 27s28 seconds ago

Brian Bilek Retweeted Dayton Cripe

There is a chance contingent on Yo accepting #WhiteSox terms. His market is still slow.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)

Just because you can't name the potential teams that may jump in doesn't mean they don't exist. Take Chapman to the Yanks--NY acquired Chapman when the price dropped to 4 meh-level minor league pieces, making it a deal they couldn't pass it up.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)

Just make sure they don't wait too long or Fowler will be gone as well. Can't end up with no OF when the music stops; if they do they misplayed the situation badly. I've got more faith in RH & Co. to let that happen.