Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says Alex Gordon wants to stay in KC but realizes they won't pay up.

He also mentions Upton's market is slow because teams are worried about his effort and lack of passion.

At least with Cespedes you don't lose a draft pick, although he might get the most $ and years.

I'm beginning to think that none of the big 3 are the answer for our White Sox. I think Rick knows that and is probably pushing for mutual opt out clauses after a few years if he is going to sign any of them.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says Alex Gordon wants to stay on KC but realizes they won't pay up.

He also mentions Upton's market is slow because teams are worried about his effort and lack of passion.

At least with Cespedes you don't lose a draft pick, although he might get the most $ and years.

I'm beginning to think that none of the big 3 are the answer for our White Sox. I think Rick knows that and is probably pushing for mutual opt out clauses after a few years if he is going to sign any of them.

If none are the answer why go through the trouble of signing them? That makes no sense.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
If none are the answer why go through the trouble of signing them? That makes no sense.

Exactly. They are in on each of them. I think if the Sox are going to sign one, it will be within the next 2 weeks. The longer time goes on, the less likely they are to land one of the top 3.

Personally sifting through tweets, articles, insider info., etc. I believe it's either Upton or Gordon or none. I don't think they want to pay Cespy that much and the years are a hinderence. Plus I think we have enough Cespedes type hitter already on the team. I've said it many times I'll be over the moon with any but I think Upton and Gordon follow more of what we are looking for than Cespy.

Sorry, signing them to long term contracts like they are asking for is probably not the answer so Rick wants an out because we currently could use their services as they are an upgrade over our current options.

Posting on this site is really miserable. Every post is followed by a jerkoff comment. So much for adding something to a stale conversation.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Personally sifting through tweets, articles, insider info., etc. I believe it's either Upton or Gordon or none. I don't think they want to pay Cespy that much and the years are a hinderence. Plus I think we have enough Cespedes type hitter already on the team. I've said it many times I'll be over the moon with any but I think Upton and Gordon follow more of what we are looking for than Cespy.

You're completely right, because they get on base and bring power.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says Alex Gordon wants to stay in KC but realizes they won't pay up.

I've been thinking the same thing. Surely the Sox are doing due diligence and have likely talked to all three to some degree or another.The Sox payroll, inability to trade certain salaries to make room for a high priced FA signing and the numerous outfielders available right now gives me the feeling the Sox end up making another trade for outfield help. Just a feeling, I could certainly be wrong.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Sorry, signing them to long term contracts like they are asking for is probably not the answer so Rick wants an out because we currently could use their services as they are an upgrade over our current options.

Posting on this site is really miserable. Every post is followed by a jerkoff comment. So much for adding something to a stale conversation.

FWIW, I am in the minority with you. Honestly, I hope the Sox don't sign any of the big three.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)
FWIW, I am in the minority with you. Honestly, I hope the Sox don't sign any of the big three.

Why?

The White Sox, as currently constructed, still aren't a playoff team in my opinion. Frazier and Lawrie are nice upgrades, but catcher, shortstop, right field, and left field are all still potential holes, not to mention the lack of decent pitching depth.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)

So you're okay with the team as is? Or do you want us to trade more of the farm for someone like CarGo. Personally as much as I think we've improved if Cespy and Gordon sign with Detroit and KC respectively. We're last place again this year. With the FA market next year and the $ coming off the book after the season we need to land one of these three. Otherwise next year were sitting on money and don't have quality to spend it on. I don't want to be last of 3rd place the next two seasons with an eye on the '18FA class. We need to go for it now. it's not just our division is getting better but we are also competing with the Cubs. We need to be relavent in order to have a prayer for attendance the next few seasons.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
Why?

The White Sox, as currently constructed, still aren't a playoff team in my opinion. Frazier and Lawrie are nice upgrades, but catcher, shortstop, right field, and left field are all still potential holes, not to mention the lack of decent pitching depth.

Not to mention DH...and counting on Lawrie to have chemistry right off the bat with whoever is playing SS from a defensive standpoint. On the plus side, Saladino can now trust Frazier on his right side, which should help give him more confidence, in the same way Alexei really took off at SS when Omar Vizquel was at 3B next to him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)

Your post didnt make any sense. Your talking about them not being the answer then signing them.

Why throw resources in the toilet if your not sold on them?

I dont see how standing pat in the outfield is a good thing. Too many issues with Garcia to fix that it's probably extremely likely you'll be looking for his replacement during the deadline assuming your still in the race.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
Why?

You pretty much answered your own question to be honest. Cespedes or Upton or Gordon will not make the Sox a playoff team but they would likely eat up whatever funds JR might be willing to open up the payroll to. I'm keeping in mind that the payroll is currently (119M) at last year's already and its rumored that's all Hahn has to play with which is why he needs to get "creative".

As you pointed out, the Sox still have other holes, will still be relying on a few unreliable players and nowhere has anyone from the front office said JR will actually raise the payroll. Not saying he won't, just not willing to assume he will and I'm not willing to assume the Sox sign one of the big three.

As I said yesterday, I think spending 15-20% of the overall payroll on 1 player on a team of 25 players is just plain dumb. The Sox do not have the payroll ceiling that teams like the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yanks etc. Also, Gordon especially is not worth 20M+ plus per year and the Sox would be stupid to pay him that kind of money. I hope he re-signed with the Royals. Cespedes is 30 and looking for a 6 year deal, ya, no thanks! Upton, I wouldn't mind him so much but I fear his cost due to his age will keep his price kinda high.

Too many Sox fans making too many assumptions. I'm just going to sit back and see how this plays out with no expectations on the Sox signing any of those three.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
Your post didnt make any sense. Your talking about them not being the answer then signing them.

Why throw resources in the toilet if your not sold on them?

I dont see how standing pat in the outfield is a good thing. Too many issues with Garcia to fix that it's probably extremely likely you'll be looking for his replacement during the deadline assuming your still in the race.

Excellent post. And really the question is would you rather take a hit this season to sign one of them (which is lessen once Danks and Laroche clear next season) or trade prospects in June or July if we are in the hunt and Avi and Saldanio are not producing. To me it's easy. Sign one of the three and let's go for it. JR has the money and he'll spend it. The roster right now is good for status quo the past few years. But if Detroit and KC get Cespedes and Gordon we have no chance at the division. Any one of the guys even if the money is high as they say help this team immediately. Sign them or you have to deal with a hesitant fan base going into 2016z you sign any of them attendance will go up the first couple months and dramaticly up if we are wining the first two months of the season. The last thing I want is us to pass because of the money and watch our two Divioson rivals sign these guys and we have to watch them rake all season.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
You pretty much answered your own question to be honest. Cespedes or Upton or Gordon will not make the Sox a playoff team but they would likely eat up whatever funds JR might be willing to open up the payroll to. I'm keeping in mind that the payroll is currently (119M) at last year's already and its rumored that's all Hahn has to play with which is why he needs to get "creative".

As you pointed out, the Sox still have other holes, will still be relying on a few unreliable players and nowhere has anyone from the front office said JR will actually raise the payroll. Not saying he won't, just not willing to assume he will and I'm not willing to assume the Sox sign one of the big three.

As I said yesterday, I think spending 15-20% of the overall payroll on 1 player on a team of 25 players is just plain dumb. The Sox do not have the payroll ceiling that teams like the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yanks etc. Also, Gordon especially is not worth 20M+ plus per year and the Sox would be stupid to pay him that kind of money. I hope he re-signed with the Royals. Cespedes is 30 and looking for a 6 year deal, ya, no thanks! Upton, I wouldn't mind him so much but I fear his cost due to his age will keep his price kinda high.

Too many Sox fans making too many assumptions. I'm just going to sit back and see how this plays out with no expectations on the Sox signing any of those three.

I'm curious as to why you think this...

I think they are right on the verge of having that ability right now but a 2-4 WAR type player would get them there.