Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
Too many bench pieces. Bench would be 4 players cause the Sox generally carry 12 man pitching staff. That leaves 13 for position players and with 9 including dh that only leaves 4 players for bench

come spring, i think we as fans will be able to see what is going to happen.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
It's the unknowns that concern me and here's a short list.

1- Frazier's '15 second half collapse concerns me and moving to the AL and needing some time to adjust to new pitchers. His 19 errors last season are also a concern. These are the reasons I wasn't a big fan of the trade and in fact was against the idea before he was traded for. That said, I have accepted the fact he's the Sox 3B and will obviously be pulling for him.

2- the big three are all left Fielders. That means we see one of Melky or Avi in RF which is scary. I'm fine with Melky's bat but not feeling very confident in Avi's bat.

3- LaRoche. I think that speaks for itself.

4- Danks- not the worst #4 starter but would be better suited as a #5 in the rotation but even still we just don't know what to expect with him. One game he can come out and throw 7 shutout innings and the next get lit up for 7 runs in 3. Big question mark imo.

5- Erik Johnson- not sure what to expect from him. Last time he was given a shot he failed miserably and hopefully the mechanical changes he made last year translate to success in '16. He's pretty much an unknown gamble until we see what he can do. His BB is also a concern a well.

6- lack of starting pitching depth. If the Sox lose just one starter, they are in trouble and especially if it's one of Sale, Rodon or Q. Turner and Beck are the Sox depth and both had injuries in '15 so they will be trying to not only stay healthy but build their innings up in '16.

7- the '16 payroll limit. It's been assumed JR would raise it and yet nothing has been said by he FO so to get hopes up of signing a player that will add 20-25M to a payroll thats already at is limit is a foolish assumption. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that I'm not willing to assume it will.

These are merely concerns I have and I absolutely hope I'm wrong with these concerns. I'm just trying to be realistic about the current roster. If you don't mind I would like to point out some potential positives I see.

1- Frazier- if he plays well in '15 and forms a good bond with his teammates and FO. I think he could be a good extension candidate that could be the Sox 3B for the foreseeable future and should his skills slip at 3B he should makes fine 1B.

2- Lawrie- I love that trade and am extatic to have him and his inense energy. I see him as a potential extension candidate much like Frazier and would love to see it happen at some point.

3- Saladino- love his defense and I think he will hit surprisingly better than we might expect. I don't expect him to hit for a high average but I think he will get a pretty good amount of extra base hits due to his short quick swing and his speed. I'm excited to see what he can do a the SS position.

4- Abreu- need I say more?

5- Sale, Q, Rodon s the front three. Again, need I say more?

6- Sox back end of the bullpen. I expect many doors to be shut by Robertson and Jones.

IMHO, the Sox will undoubtedly be better in '16 but even with he addiionn of Upton or Cespedes or Gordon, I still don't think that's enough.

you made a great post. my only input is soooo minor i will not write it up.

good job.

The problem with extending Frazier and Lawrie to a lesser extent are the recurring arguments about a longer-term Gordon contract at age 32.

Lawrie...hopefully he plays so well that it becomes an issue to legitimately worry about. At least we're not preemptively extending like with Teahen when it wasn't warranted.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
The problem with extending Frazier and Lawrie to a lesser extent are the recurring arguments about a longer-term Gordon contract at age 32.

Lawrie...hopefully he plays so well that it becomes an issue to legitimately worry about. At least we're not preemptively extending like with Teahen when it wasn't warranted.

you make a point, but i am way to preoccupy with fielding the team first.

but you do make a point as i said. this is on me and me being limited frame on mind right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Would that be enough (the offseason so far) to get you to buy season tickets again if you'd cancelled after 2011, or at any point in the last three years?

I wonder how many Sox fans felt confident enough to buy a smaller/split 2016 package as a Christmas gift?

You care a lot about attendance for someone that lives half around the world and never goes to games

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
If the Sox miss out on all 3, you'll sense a lot of maxiaggressions!

I just can't fathom that at this point with how the market is playing out. I think WORST case scenario is Sox go cheap and sign Parra as a platoon partner with Garcia.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Well, that would be missing out on all three, right? 3=Ces, Gordon, Upton.

Correct. Worst case scenario meaning Sox whiff/pass on the big three and decide to platoon Parra/Garcia. Though we should keep in mind that Upton/Cespedes/Gordon are all going to sign a deal that would be a record setting contract for the organization.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
Correct. Worst case scenario meaning Sox whiff/pass on the big three and decide to platoon Parra/Garcia. Though we should keep in mind that Upton/Cespedes/Gordon are all going to sign a deal that would be a record setting contract for the organization.

With the current/rising market it shouldn't be that big of a deal to offer "a deal that would be record setting for the organization." That certainly shouldn't keep them from making the offer, it's just a reflection of the times. If you are going for it and think you need an impact bat to get you to that next level, you go ahead and pay the price.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
I see no real platoon option with Parra/Avi. Parra is head & shoulders the better player & still improves this team a good amount.

Parra can't hit lefties. FWIW, Merkin said yesterday that Parra was a "good option". He's been on top of things this offseason.

Follow

Scott MerkinVerified account

‏@scottmerkin

@ejasso87 @CSNWhiteSox I've heard no interest in Desmond. And isn't Alvarez basically playing the role of LaRoche? Parra--good option

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Parra can't hit lefties. FWIW, Merkin said yesterday that Parra was a "good option". He's been on top of things this offseason.

Follow

Scott MerkinVerified account

‏@scottmerkin

@ejasso87 @CSNWhiteSox I've heard no interest in Desmond. And isn't Alvarez basically playing the role of LaRoche? Parra--good option

Interesting. Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to the splits.

Either way, I think Parra would be a solid upgrade for sure. Would still much rather see one of the top 3 but we'll see.

Edit: FWIW, Merkin told me a few weeks ago that he doesn't usually throw specific players names out. Could mean something the more I think about it.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
With the current/rising market it shouldn't be that big of a deal to offer "a deal that would be record setting for the organization." That certainly shouldn't keep them from making the offer, it's just a reflection of the times. If you are going for it and think you need an impact bat to get you to that next level, you go ahead and pay the price.

I wholly agree with you, it just would be very out of character for the organization to spend like that. However, with how the market for these outfielders is playing out, it would be a huge missed opportunity to not take advantage.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
Interesting. Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to the splits.

Either way, I think Parra would be a solid upgrade for sure. Would still much rather see one of the top 3 but we'll see.

Edit: FWIW, Merkin told me a few weeks ago that he doesn't usually throw specific players names out. Could mean something the more I think about it.

Someone mentioned Desmond, Parra and Alvarez

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
A Garcia/Parra platoon in RF would probably be OK offensively, but it would still be a big disappointment if it meant we're not getting one of the Big 3.

Defensively it would probably be just as bad as previous years in that position.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Parra barely put up a positive WAR. Would much rather get Span

Just looked up the numbers again, I didn't realize Parra's defense fell off that much, yeesh. So Parra/Garcia could maybe put up a league average RF offensively, but would still be a disaster on defense. You're right, Span would be a much better fit.