Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Uh oh, now you've done it! Cue Hi8is in 3,2,1....

I've been banished from writing anything other that the following words:

acrimony, brusque, caustic, disheveled, equivocate, and fiasco.

It's been impossible to do so thus far... So, f*** it - I'll

Just break the rules and state the obvious...

Blah blah blah f***ing blah.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
I've been banished from writing anything other that the following words:

acrimony, brusque, caustic, disheveled, equivocate, and fiasco.

It's been impossible to do so thus far... So, f*** it - I'll

Just break the rules and state the obvious...

Blah blah blah f***ing blah.

The Gestapo is marching your way to lock you up and throw away the key to your Chastity belt. Das knickers shalt forever remain twisted.

No more taco flavored kisses for you!

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
The Gestapo is marching your way to lock you up and throw away the key to your Chastity belt. Das knickers shalt forever remain twisted.

No more taco flavored kisses for you!

Where have you been for so long, my long lost brother?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
The calm before the storm?

One can only hope. I see that rabbit is reading the insanity... Hopefully he'll have some more info to drop.

If anyone else question his awesomeness - "blah" will not be the response. Super deathly ninja skills will however, be unleashed with deadly furry.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
A Parra/Avi platoon in RF would be better than league average offensively. Avi kills the defense platoon, but I am not ready to call Parra (the strong side of the platoon) a bad defender quite yet. He was among the best in the league a mere 2 years ago.

LF - Gordon

CF - Eaton

RF - Parra/Avi platoon

DH - Melky

Late inning defensive replacement / PH - LaRoche

That alignment IMMENSELY improves the OF defense and gives the Sox a great lineup. This is the best case scenario in my mind.

It would be way too expensive unless you can get Parra on a 1 year deal . Rather see Parra money go to address starting pitching depth .Ideally you get someone exactly like Trayce Thompson (cheap, good defensively, power, offensive upside) to play RF and eliminate Avi altogether by trade or sending him to the minors. Late in the game do you want Avi in the OF if he pinch hit for Parra ? I sure don't. Also Parra may not be suited for CF any more. It's probably why his defensive ratings were way down. The 4th OF needs to be able to back up CF . Getting Trayce back would be a lot less expensive than paying too much for the likes of Parra who fell off a cliff from his NL hitting once he got to Baltimore. Bring back Trayce, bring back Trayce !

With the way Close conducts negotiations, we might never know if the Sox offered or not, and what exactly was on the table...unless the leak comes from the Sox side.

My own personal feeling is that the longer this drags on, the more likely it is that Gordon ends up elsewhere.

It would also be pretty surprising if the White Sox made an offer on December 28th that just blew everyone else's out of the water...you get the feeling there will be 3-5 serious offers within a $5-15 million range of each other. If the Royals are within that range, maybe even if it's one year shorter but the average is comparable or a bit higher over 4 years, he'll probably end up staying.

That said, there's been no indication that KC was even willing to go up to $60 million and 4 years, which isn't far off from Melky Cabrera or LaRoche and obviously is either just a PR offer and they have no intentions to retain him or they're lurking in the weeds trying to suppress the Gordon market and really have an intention to offer $15-20 million per season and at least four years. That would be 4/$70 million (a lot of current speculation is around 5/$88-92).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
With the way Close conducts negotiations, we might never know if the Sox offered or not, and what exactly was on the table...unless the leak comes from the Sox side.

My own personal feeling is that the longer this drags on, the more likely it is that Gordon ends up elsewhere.

It would also be pretty surprising if the White Sox made an offer on December 28th that just blew everyone else's out of the water...you get the feeling there will be 3-5 serious offers within a $5-15 million range of each other. If the Royals are within that range, maybe even if it's one year shorter but the average is comparable or a bit higher over 4 years, he'll probably end up staying.

That said, there's been no indication that KC was even willing to go up to $60 million and 4 years, which isn't far off from Melky Cabrera or LaRoche and obviously is either just a PR offer and they have no intentions to retain him or they're lurking in the weeds trying to suppress the Gordon market and really have an intention to offer $15-20 million per season and at least four years. That would be 4/$70 million (a lot of current speculation is around 5/$88-92).

I think you're on base with this & I think it goes for all 3 of the top guys left. Time is not really the Sox's friend. The longer this drags on, prices will go down & teams that have said they are "done" might jump back in.

I can't imagine the White Sox are a very attractive team to play for.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)
I think you're on base with this & I think it goes for all 3 of the top guys left. Time is not really the Sox's friend. The longer this drags on, prices will go down & teams that have said they are "done" might jump back in.

I can't imagine the White Sox are a very attractive team to play for.

I don't understand why if the prices come down, why it hurts the White Sox. So what if other teams jump in. No matter what they still have to be the highest bidder. The lower the bidding the better.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
I've come to the conclusion that you're my favorite member on this forum.

Not only are you knowledgable about the Sox, but you're also witty and extremely funny.

Keep up the good work. ;)

Awe shucks Mike, hopefully I can continue to live up to your extremely low expectations. I can only hope that you have better taste when it comes to love than you do Sox fans. :wub:

:D

Seriously though, I do enjoy talking Baseball with you and I especially respect and appreciate the way you come across when you do not agree with something I say. You are my Ferris Bueller here on SoxTalk, a righteous dude. :cheers

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
One can only hope. I see that rabbit is reading the insanity... Hopefully he'll have some more info to drop.

If anyone else question his awesomeness - "blah" will not be the response. Super deathly ninja skills will however, be unleashed with deadly furry.

Boston has the Kung Fu Panda and SoxTalk has the Kung Fu raBBit!

And to you sir, I say good BLAH! ( Wilmer Valderrama style!)

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
FWIW,

Mark Sheldon (Reds Beat Writer) said that the Reds/Yankees talks started on Christmas Eve & completed today.

Worth noting the timeline, especially if the Sox just made Gordon an offer today.

This is a great point. IIRC, Hahn had been talking to the Reds about the Sox interest in Frazier sometime around seasons end or just after. Look how long that took.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
This is a great point. IIRC, Hahn had been talking to the Reds about the Sox interest in Frazier sometime around seasons end or just after. Look how long that took.

Hahn was very determined to get Frazier. Literally took him a month and a half to get him, but he found a way.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Hahn was very determined to get Frazier. Literally took him a month and a half to get him, but he found a way.

Just goes to show how long negotiations can take and that fans need patience.

There's a few folks on here that remind me of Butters or Tweak from South Park with how anxious they are. :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 06:40 PM)
Awe shucks Mike, hopefully I can continue to live up to your extremely low expectations. I can only hope that you have better taste when it comes to love than you do Sox fans. :wub:

:D

Seriously though, I do enjoy talking Baseball with you and I especially respect and appreciate the way you come across when you do not agree with something I say. You are my Ferris Bueller here on SoxTalk, a righteous dude. :cheers

Boston has the Kung Fu Panda and SoxTalk has the Kung Fu raBBit!

And to you sir, I say good BLAH! ( Wilmer Valderrama style!)

You've got to be quick, subtle, and unexpected in your wit young ninja grasshopper. The path of the way is yours.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
You've got to be quick, subtle, and unexpected in your wit young ninja grasshopper. The path of the way is yours.

Whoa, thanks for the young comment. I don't feel so old now. Looks at wifey and says " hurry honey, fetches me Juss fer Men! Be gone grey whiskas!"

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
Whoa, thanks for the young comment. I don't feel so old now. Looks at wifey and says " hurry honey, fetches me Juss fer Men! Be gone grey whiskas!"

You may be an old man but you are young in the way. Let's stop hijacking this thread and allow the crickets to resume. Deal?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)

I think the market will develop drastically over the next week or two. I still have a good feeling the Sox get one of the three, too.

We as fans ride the highs of getting a good player & expect more right after. A week passes by & that high turns into doubt. Perfectly normal but patience is key with the MLB FA market.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
I think the market will develop drastically over the next week or two. I still have a good feeling the Sox get one of the three, too.

We as fans ride the highs of getting a good player & expect more right after. A week passes by & that high turns into doubt. Perfectly normal but patience is key with the MLB FA market.

I agree with everything. I think we'll either get Gordon or Upton however.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
You may be an old man but you are young in the way. Let's stop hijacking this thread and allow the crickets to resume. Deal?

Thank you sir. Really, I'm just middle aged and extremely young at heart. Any hootenanny, crickets, the thread is yours. Hi8is and I now return you to your regularly scheduled dead-zone in FA rumors...

Though I'm not a fan of spending the kind of money the big three are seeking, there is no way I would give Cespedes the 6 years he wants. I don't think Gordon's health or defense will hold up for the 5 years he seeks, just my opinion. Which brings me to Upton, not Kate, Justin. If I had to chose one of the three I guess it would be Upton (Justin) due to his mix of youth, power and speed. The potential for a deal including an opt-out is enticing and I see it as motivation for the player to hopefully excel performance wise so they can hit that pay dirt again when eligible.

If the Sox are destined to sign one of the three, please let it be Upton (Justin). Thank you for taking the time to read my confused mind. :)

Edited by BlackSox13