Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
If it's between signing Parra to a 3 year deal in the 39 million range or upgrading other positions and giving Avi one more chance, I would rather see option 2.

I never want to see Avi in RF again

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
If it's between signing Parra to a 3 year deal in the 39 million range or upgrading other positions and giving Avi one more chance, I would rather see option 2.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
I never want to see Avi in RF again

I agree with Fathom. No sense in spending 30-40 million on Parra. If were upgrading the OF, it's gonna be a significant upgrade like one of the big 3 OFs.

Personally, I'm not going to get overly riled up about alternative options until the Sox lose out on the top 3. I still think they end up with 1 of them.

Most people lost hope with Frazier after the Lawrie deal & it still happened. Frankly, I think the layover with the holidays, it has people on edge. Nothing has changed for any team & both raBBit & Bucket both said they would move forward this week.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Personally, I'm not going to get overly riled up about alternative options until the Sox lose out on the top 3. I still think they end up with 1 of them.

Most people lost hope with Frazier after the Lawrie deal & it still happened. Frankly, I think the layover with the holidays, it has people on edge. Nothing has changed for any team & both raBBit & Bucket both said they would move forward this week.

Yeah, there is nothing to worry about until these guys start going off the board. At some point, one of these guys will give in and accept it's somewhat of a buyers market this year. Once that happens, the other dominoes should start to fall. No need to think about secondary options until the Sox have lost out on the big 3, and quite frankly, I think we're well positioned to land one of them. With most of the big spenders not interested in OFs (Yankees, Red Sox, & Dodgers), the prices should be much more reasonable than other spots. Obviously nothing is guaranteed and teams like the Angels & Tigers could disrupt things pretty quickly, but I really like our chances to land one of these guys.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Interesting. Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to the splits.

Either way, I think Parra would be a solid upgrade for sure. Would still much rather see one of the top 3 but we'll see.

Edit: FWIW, Merkin told me a few weeks ago that he doesn't usually throw specific players names out. Could mean something the more I think about it.

As I've been saying for awhile, Parra AND one of the big 3 make this team very, very good.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
Did the White Sox back out on Alex gordon offer today.

Whether they make an offer or not, the fans won't know until well after the fact in all probability. It isn't like Rick Hahn is going to give a press conference to announce the offer and details. Maybe something leaks out, but knowing the Sox, that is doubtful.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Just looked up the numbers again, I didn't realize Parra's defense fell off that much, yeesh. So Parra/Garcia could maybe put up a league average RF offensively, but would still be a disaster on defense. You're right, Span would be a much better fit.

A Parra/Avi platoon in RF would be better than league average offensively. Avi kills the defense platoon, but I am not ready to call Parra (the strong side of the platoon) a bad defender quite yet. He was among the best in the league a mere 2 years ago.

LF - Gordon

CF - Eaton

RF - Parra/Avi platoon

DH - Melky

Late inning defensive replacement / PH - LaRoche

That alignment IMMENSELY improves the OF defense and gives the Sox a great lineup. This is the best case scenario in my mind.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
Whether they make an offer or not, the fans won't know until well after the fact in all probability. It isn't like Rick Hahn is going to give a press conference to announce the offer and details. Maybe something leaks out, but knowing the Sox, that is doubtful.

So Hahn will not directly give the public information to either confirm or deny whether or not bucket or rabbit have good sources?

This is a buyer's market. Patience. How many teams are in the hunt for these 3 or 4 OF's that are getting the attention? What once cost $20 million+ is probably down to $16-$18M (or will be soon) so I think the White Sox will eventually dip into the market if they are truly going 'all-in'.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
This is a buyer's market. Patience. How many teams are in the hunt for these 3 or 4 OF's that are getting the attention? What once cost $20 million+ is probably down to $16-$18M (or will be soon) so I think the White Sox will eventually dip into the market if they are truly going 'all-in'.

I don't see the prices dropping that much. I still think Gordon gets at least $18M/per, with Cespedes & Upton in the $20M to $22M range. The benefit should hopefully come on the contract length side. My guess is each guy gets a year less than they were originally hoping for, with Upton getting 6 years, Cespedes getting 5, & Gordon getting 4.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
I don't see the prices dropping that much. I still think Gordon gets at least $18M/per, with Cespedes & Upton in the $20M to $22M range. The benefit should hopefully come on the contract length side. My guess is each guy gets a year less than they were originally hoping for, with Upton getting 6 years, Cespedes getting 5, & Gordon getting 4.

agreed, much more likely that they lose a year rather than the dollars. I think the dollars are pretty much agreed upon/ballpark, it's the add-on clauses for opt-outs and no-trades that are dragging the process out for any of the big 3 outfielders.