Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 01:24 AM)
What happened to Cornholio? Strung out on cappuccino? Damn!

I agree about Avi. Shame he hasn't lived up to expectations so far. I really don't know what to think of him anymore.

i can see the org giving him one more chance... maybe as a platoon with laroche.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
i can see the org giving him one more chance... maybe as a platoon with laroche.

That would seem the plan for now. Melky LF, Avi/LaRoche DH and the Sox make a move for a right fielder.

I could be way the hell off base with this but I think alot of the Gordon speculation is due to the media. The Sox were rumored to be quite high on Upton long before the media ran with the Gordon hype. Upton and Cespedes have been eerily quiet so the media needed something to run with.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
That would seem the plan for now. Melky LF, Avi/LaRoche DH and the Sox make a move for a right fielder.

I could be way the hell off base with this but I think alot of the Gordon speculation is due to the media. The Sox were rumored to be quite high on Upton long before the media ran with the Gordon hype. Upton and Cespedes have been eerily quiet so the media needed something to run with.

Avi or LaRoche will be gone imo. How can they possibly carry both ? If one of the Big 3 is signed then Avi becomes 4th OF for which he is ill-suited defensively. Or he's in the minors.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
Avi or LaRoche will be gone imo. How can they possibly carry both ? If one of the Big 3 is signed then Avi becomes 4th OF for which he is ill-suited defensively. Or he's in the minors.

Yeah if we add an OF I think Avi ends up in the minors taking everyday at bats. Then depending on how LaRoche is doing after a couple months he could come up and replace him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)

I agree with your opinion, though i do believe LaRoche is going nowhere due to no trade value. Assuming the Sox sign/trade for a RF, I think Avi ends up traded for a low level minor league pitcher. The kind of pitcher that's a 24 year old flame thrower at A+ that struggles with his control or command. Too bad Avi's defense is so bad, I'd happily give him more time to see if his bat comes around but you're right in that with no defense, there's no point to him being on the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 02:08 AM)
Then it also made no sense for them to acquire several guys who pencil in as a FA in 2 seasons. Because if they're going to acquire that guy, they need to win the division this year, and the FA market next year doesn't set them up to fill in any holes that develop. If they can't field a competitive team this year (and they can't), then that move again sets them up for continued long-term failure.

i missed this post yesterday... you make a compelling argument.

i have a feeling no one from the org will give any expectation of what they can hope for from this team, when it is finally assemble. i think they don't want to have an over expectation of the team. this is probably b/c of last yr performance. and results.

that was why i am saying, after all is said and done, there is still 2 more yr on the 3 yr plan, so 16 can be used as a yr for the team to gel and it is what it is. after 16 they can see what will or is needed as a final tweak so to speak to make this team even better.

i will control my excitement, that is already building, so i can enjoy the team and the games. i want to enjoy what i hope / know is a better team next yr.

plain and simple, tempered the excitement of expecting great things.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
Then it also made no sense for them to acquire several guys who pencil in as a FA in 2 seasons. Because if they're going to acquire that guy, they need to win the division this year, and the FA market next year doesn't set them up to fill in any holes that develop. If they can't field a competitive team this year (and they can't), then that move again sets them up for continued long-term failure.

Lol at Balta the grouch already writing off next season.

Nothing can be written off but the skepticism will return...especially if they don't get off to a good start, the defense isn't improved and Gordon, Upton and Cespedes all end up on rival AL clubs instead of the Sox as many are now expecting.

Naturally the question will be where will the talent come to make enough trades the following offseason with an aging Carlos Gomez being the best outfielder and not even as desirable as Adam Eaton comparatively. And concern that they won't spend enough to accomplish anything more than a .500ish record.

Here we NOW have three players all better suited for the Sox than anything before 2018 and a seemingly favorable market condition...the same that allowed us not to have to bid against a large market team for Abreu two years ago.

Edited by caulfield12

i am not going to defend nor criticize anyone, b/c everyone has a point of view - pov, and that pov may differ then anyone and maybe everyone.

but i look at the same post in another reasoning and what i see is, words and phrases that has been spewed by the sox FO for yrs. "need to see immediate rtn on any investment, eps in players." and of course i am paraphrasing this.... the point is, i expect this kind of words to be spoken by the sox to justify or not to justify any actions. i remember a while ago, i really can't put a date, but i remember the FO saying that it was not time to get this one particular player, b/c the sox are at least a yr away and they, the sox wanted to save their salary money.

same thing here.

my response is still the same, season 16 is to gel, season 2017 is to go for the gusto. whatever happens in 16 in a positive way, is just gravy.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Nothing can be written off but the skepticism will return...especially if they don't get off to a good start, the defense isn't improved and Gordon, Upton and Cespedes all end up on rival AL clubs instead of the Sox as many are now expecting.

Naturally the question will be where will the talent come to make enough trades the following offseason with an aging Carlos Gomez being the best outfielder and not even as desirable as Adam Eaton comparatively. And concern that they won't spend enough to accomplish anything more than a .500ish record.

Here we NOW have three players all better suited for the Sox than anything before 2018 and a seemingly favorable market condition...the same that allowed us not to have to bid against a large market team for Abreu two years ago.

and that is why i am cautioning for poster to temper their expectations. like it or not, no matter what anyone says, i believe we have been in a middle fast track rebuild.