Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to imagine an offer has already been made. How can the Sox be simultaneously serious suitors without an offer being made? The Sox have probably exchanged numbers with Gordon's agent and the general outline of their offer, but have not sent a firm contract proposal (w/ opt-out language, no-trade language, etc.). It is the difference in business between a term sheet and an initial contract.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I found this comment on MLBTradeRumors.com and I found it pretty interesting. It gives a good summary of the situation the Sox are in.

I expect the White Sox to be a major player for one of the top three free agent outfielders remaining, Justin Upton, Yoenis Cespedes and Alex Gordon. I also anticipate them having heavy interest in top FA shortstop Ian Desmond should his long term contract demands shorten to 1-2 years, as has been speculated recently because of his subpar 2015 season in Washington.

I believe the White Sox top choice for their FA outfielder would be Cespedes, followed by Gordon and then Upton. All three figure to make at least $20M annually with their next contract, but Cespedes is the only one of the three who doesn’t come with draft choice compensation.

Justin Upton is the youngest at 28 and figures to get a contract up to 7 years in duration. He has never fulfilled the lofty expectations projected of him as the #1 overall pick in the 2005 amateur draft. His best season was 2011 and despite great tools, his defense has been below MLB standards based on the dWAR metric. He also strikes out with the most frequency of the trio. His good OBP numbers and power production would have him fit in nicely either just ahead or behind slugger Jose Abreu in the White Sox batting order. With Adam Eaton and Melky Cabrera atop the order, Upton would be a nice option at #3, with Abreu dropping to cleanup and Todd Frazier hitting 5th.

Alex Gordon is the oldest, turning 32 in February. He’s expected to receive a contract in the 4-5 year range. Gordon is the best defensive OF of the three but also the most injury prone, which cost him a shot at a fifth consecutive Gold Glove award in LF. He also possesses the least amount of power of the trio but is the only one to bat left-handed, which would provide the White Sox with better balance in their lineup. Gordon would also slot in very nicely as the #3 hitter in their batting order with his high OBP numbers, ahead of both Jose Abreu and Todd Frazier.

Cespedes just turned 30 last October. His contract is expected to be for 6 years. He shows the least plate patience of the three but has the most power and is the best RBI producer. Cespedes’ production is also trending upward as he gains experience. He put up by far his best offensive numbers in 2015, while also winning his first Gold Glove in LF thanks to Gordon’s injury. As a free swinger, he might not profile as a #3 hitter like Upton or Gordon. If Cespedes were signed, Abreu would likely return to his accustomed #3 spot in the batting order. The White Sox would then have the option of using either Cespedes or Frazier at the #4 and #5 slots as productive power bats to protect him in the lineup.. A resurgent Adam LaRoche at DH might also factor in as a left-handed power bat to split the right-handed hitting trio of Abreu, Cespedes and Frazier when a rhp starts the game.

Of the three, Cespedes might be an easier sell to coming to the White Sox with Jose Abreu on board and the team’s favorably history with Cuban players dating back to Minne Minoso. Gordon might be more difficult having played his entire career for the division rival Kansas City Royals. With Upton, the White Sox face a potential early production problem with his transition from the N.L. to the A.L., a notion the organization is all too familiar with after signing Adam Dunn and LaRoche in recent years. The possibility also exists with Frazier coming over from the Reds, especially since his inter-league splits have been poor.

Despite the high price tag for each FA player, the White Sox should still be able to afford them by being creative with the structuring of their contracts. Similar to what the Cubs did with Jason Heyward, they could back-load the deal and offer a player opt-out clause further into the contract, especially in the case of Upton or Cespedes who are younger. Deferring money from 2016 to the following year would make sense with the Adam LaRoche and John Danks contracts still on the books for one more season. The opt-out is something the White Sox have done in the past. As Sox fans might recall, this tactic was used when they signed FA Albert Belle to a then record contract back in 1996. They also agreed to an opt-out into arbitration with the international free agent contract given to Abreu two offseasons ago.

All this being said, the White Sox can remain somewhat patient in their pursuit of an OF upgrade this offseason. This might allow for a drop in free agent market prices and also give the White Sox more time in which to try and deal one of their own high money contracts to free up some financial space in their budget. There might also be some trade options that could provide the club with equal or better overall value than any of the available free agents, including potential targets in Kyle Schwarber and Jorge Soler from the Cubs or Yasiel Puig from the Dodgers, among others rumored to be available.

In addition to an upgrade for a corner OF bat, the White have a need at the shortstop position for 2016. Ian Desmond could be a formidable pick up for the White Sox as an above average MLB defender who also provides plus hitting and power for the position, at least until the White Sox #1 rated prospect Tim Anderson is deemed ready for prime time.

Another SS option for the White Sox would be to re-sign Alexei Ramirez to a one year deal for less than $9M, the difference between the $10M option they declined on him and the $1M buyout they exercised following last season.

Javier Baez might be another SS choice worth pursuing in a potential deal with the Cubs..

The last resort would be to just have Tyler Saladino and Carlos Sanchez compete for the position in spring training. Imo, both profile better as versatile utility infielders than as starting MLB shortstops. Sanchez would also be an excellent late game defensive replacement for newcomer Brett Lawrie at 2B.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
The allotment is worth about 2% of the money being thrown to Gordon. It wont get any consideration when deciding whether to sign him or not. And it shouldnt.

It's not just about the draft pick but to be honest, I've already stated why I'm not in favor of signing Gordon so I'll do the board a favor and not repeat myself. Let's just say I have the same concerns as others that would prefer the Sox sign or trade for someone else.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
It's not just about the draft pick but to be honest, I've already stated why I'm not in favor of signing Gordon so I'll do the board a favor and not repeat myself. Let's just say I have the same concerns as others that would prefer the Sox sign or trade for someone else.

If it was a perfect world, who would you want the Sox to get (realistically)?

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
The allotment is worth about 2% of the money being thrown to Gordon. It wont get any consideration when deciding whether to sign him or not. And it shouldnt.

What is a late first round pick worth? If these guys were free agents, they'd be getting $10MM? $20MM?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
What is a late first round pick worth? If these guys were free agents, they'd be getting $10MM? $20MM?

A late 1st round pick, on average, is worth 1-2 fWAR over their full careers. On average, teams are paying $6-7 million per fWAR. So, if you could simply sell a first round pick right now, with no context about the player or the strength of the draft or development or anything else, a pick in the range of 25-35 right now would be worth about $8-10 million.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
If it was a perfect world, who would you want the Sox to get (realistically)?

The players I'd prefer are rumored to be on the trade block and without knowing the asking prices its hard for me to realistically say. I'm just not a fan of spending huge money on a long term contract for one player. I would rather spread that money around throughout the team instead of paying one player 15-20% of the total payroll.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
Oswald Cobblepot

Meh, dude can't field worth a s*** and has too many holes in his swing. I prefer The Great Cornholio.

"Poop"

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 12:58 AM)
The players I'd prefer are rumored to be on the trade block and without knowing the asking prices its hard for me to realistically say. I'm just not a fan of spending huge money on a long term contract for one player. I would rather spread that money around throughout the team instead of paying one player 15-20% of the total payroll.

Meh, dude can't field worth a s*** and has too many holes in his swing. I prefer The Great Cornholio.

"Poop"

i know, neither am i, esp when they are wanting contract into the 35+ yrs of age , area....

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
i know, neither am i, esp when they are wanting contract into the 35+ yrs of age , area....

Then it also made no sense for them to acquire several guys who pencil in as a FA in 2 seasons. Because if they're going to acquire that guy, they need to win the division this year, and the FA market next year doesn't set them up to fill in any holes that develop. If they can't field a competitive team this year (and they can't), then that move again sets them up for continued long-term failure.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)

"Poop"

Cornholio hung em up years ago braghh.

In my perfect world I want the badass version of Avi Garcia playing RF. Damnit all to hell

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Cornholio hung em up years ago braghh.

In my perfect world I want the badass version of Avi Garcia playing RF. Damnit all to hell

What happened to Cornholio? Strung out on cappuccino? Damn!

I agree about Avi. Shame he hasn't lived up to expectations so far. I really don't know what to think of him anymore.