Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
It might be in the best interest of the Sox to throw some crazy AAV numbers to these guys over a three year deal. After all, a 3-4 year deal would be in line for when the contracts for our core players starts to run out. Abreu (2019), Sale (2019), Quintana (2020), Eaton (2021), and Rodon (2021).

It is not in the best interest of the Sox to do anything crazy right now. Let the market come to them. No point in offering a 4/$90M deal to Gordon if the next best offer is 4/$70M.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Cryptic tweet from an insider, apparently a typo

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 1m1 minute ago

Pay Gordon & Angels sign Kendrick and Upton

What?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Seems like he was trying to answer a fan about something and mistakenly tweeted out something that looks like reporting. Probably nothing to see here...unless he just left some words out

That would be my guess too. Looks like a guess at player movement.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
It might be in the best interest of the Sox to throw some crazy AAV numbers to these guys over a three year deal. After all, a 3-4 year deal would be in line for when the contracts for our core players starts to run out. Abreu (2019), Sale (2019), Quintana (2020), Eaton (2021), and Rodon (2021).

I agree. Personally, I wouldn't go more than three for Gordon but I am biased in that I don't really want him in the first place. As for Cespedes, Garfien said over the weekend that Cespedes had only been offered a three year deal to this point so I think for now, the Sox are going with the flow by taking their three year stance but are willing to go four guaranteed years and maybe even a fifth year mutual option with buy out. But that's a wild guess on my part and should be taken with a grain of salt, as they say.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
It is not in the best interest of the Sox to do anything crazy right now. Let the market come to them. No point in offering a 4/$90M deal to Gordon if the next best offer is 4/$70M.

Relatively crazy, so to speak. It's been reported Gordon's heart might be in Kansas City, so if Sox really want him, probably would have to beat any Royals offer handily.

Since Gordon is the oldest of the three and has the most value tied to his defense, the years is the most important part of his offer than the AAV IMO. For example I would be more pleased with a 3/70 deal with Gordon than say a 4/85 or certainly a 5/100.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Cryptic tweet from an insider, apparently a typo

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 1m1 minute ago

Pay Gordon & Angels sign Kendrick and Upton

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 15m15 minutes ago

To clarify my last tweet I was asked what I thought the Angels should do and i was just giving my opinion that I would sign Upton &Kendrick

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 15m15 minutes ago

To clarify my last tweet I was asked what I thought the Angels should do and i was just giving my opinion that I would sign Upton &Kendrick

A friend of mine who covers the Angels for FSW is also hearing Upton, fwiw.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
That reason would be that he doesn't have much of a market. The big market teams aren't looking for an OF. His "hometown" team is lowballing him at $12AAV. The Sox should really swoop in and offer him 4 year/ $80M. That's nearly $30M over the Royals current offer. He makes this team so much better.

Now hold on a minute. The Royals are lowballing him at $12M and an we should give him $20M? Gordon might be a fit with the Sox but not at that kind of a deal. How about $14M?

I'd like to see the Sox offer 4 years, at $16M, just to make the Royals have to up their offer to something close to that.

If Gordon gets his wish, which appears to be to return to KC, I'd at least like to see them have to spend some serious money, which would contribute to their being financially more restrained, when all their guys become free agents.

I wouldn't worry about the 4TH year, when Gordon would be 35, as the Sox always seem to be able to use a left handed bat.

Let him DH in 2019, if his defense declines so much that the Sox would have better options for LF.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
I'd like to see the Sox offer 4 years, at $16M, just to make the Royals have to up their offer to something close to that.

If Gordon gets his wish, which appears to be to return to KC, I'd at least like to see them have to spend some serious money, which would contribute to their being financially more restrained, when all their guys become free agents.

I wouldn't worry about the 4TH year, when Gordon would be 35, as the Sox always seem to be able to use a left handed bat.

Let him DH in 2019, if his defense declines so much that the Sox would have better options for LF.

LaRoche's .697 ops v. righties wasn't exactly useful.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
LaRoche's .697 ops v. righties wasn't exactly useful.

Are you suggesting that Gordon should be expected to perform as badly as La Roche did, when he reaches 35?

If that would be the case, I agree that it would be a disaster. However, 35 is not the age when all players collapse, in terms of their production. There have been plenty of players, even without PEDS, who have had offensively productive seasons at 35.

However, you are correct in that it is certainly a risk.

Well, You are saying there is no need to worry about age 35 because a left handed bat is always useful. People are worried about age 35 because players decline. So my point is that it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed, or a good fit for 2nd or 4th, if you aren't a good hitter you aren't useful.

That said, I think Gordon will age really well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
Well, You are saying there is no need to worry about age 35 because a left handed bat is always useful. People are worried about age 35 because players decline. So my point is that it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed, or a good fit for 2nd or 4th, if you aren't a good hitter you aren't useful.

That said, I think Gordon will age really well.

I agree that Gordon has a decent chance to age well. Moreover, don't you expect his defense to decline faster than his offense?

He is a Gold Glove left fielder, but I doubt that he will be at 35. However, it is very reasonable to expect him to be able to hit and draw walks at that age.

If prices go down much the Sox will find themselves competing with new teams who suddenly will find Gordon/Cespedes worth it. Not saying it's a bad idea to get a good price, but there comes a point where the certainty of grabbing an OF at higher price than absolutely optimal is better than the increasing risk that someone else swoops in.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 5, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
If prices go down much the Sox will find themselves competing with new teams who suddenly will find Gordon/Cespedes worth it. Not saying it's a bad idea to get a good price, but there comes a point where the certainty of grabbing an OF at higher price than absolutely optimal is better than the increasing risk that someone else swoops in.

It's likely the demand going downward is years. If that is the case, the sox bidding at a higher AAV for less years with teams is worth it.