2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10858464/hill...litical-realism

I will vote for her unless Bloomberg's in it, and the economy is still worsening.

That said, almost nobody is very excited about her. The Sanders excitement is more about the message than the candidate himself.

Assuming he wins NH but loses Iowa and SC, he really needs to win NV or for there to be more legal issues relating to the e-mails.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10858464/hill...litical-realism

I will vote for her unless Bloomberg's in it, and the economy is still worsening.

That said, almost nobody is very excited about her. The Sanders excitement is more about the message than the candidate himself.

Assuming he wins NH but loses Iowa and SC, he really needs to win NV or for there to be more legal issues relating to the e-mails.

How can you in good faith vote for somebody as sinister as Hillary Clinton? You don't think the smoke around this email thing signals a blazing fire?? How in the world can you want her making decisions for the country?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 01:44 AM)
How can you in good faith vote for somebody as sinister as Hillary Clinton? You don't think the smoke around this email thing signals a blazing fire?? How in the world can you want her making decisions for the country?

How could I in good faith vote for someone who you could put side to side with Hitler quotations and you wouldn't be able to differentiate which quotes were to attributable to each?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...olf-Hitler.html

Pass that quiz and I'll vote for Trump.

Trump, to my knowledge, has no plan about improving education or the economy...and dodges policy questions consistently...he wants to penalize every middle class American by putting a tariff on Chinese imports of 45% and doesn't realize that few of those outsourced low-end manufacturing jobs are returning to America no matter how much he blusters.

In good faith, would I want someone who could put the lives of every American at risk if he was in charge of the nuclear arsenal?

Someone who is indifferent to God and yet is openly pandering to Christian conservatives in Iowa with the picture of him posing with a Bible...after saying 2 Philippians or Colossians instead of 2nd since he's clearly unfamiliar?

With Hillary, you have one of the smartest presidents in history at her side...with Trump, you get a former fashion model.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Bill Clinton was one of the smartest presidents alive?

Wow, you can't make this stuff up.

What are you basing this on?

Rhodes Scholarship...

One of the rarest kids to be able to go from one of the three poorest states in the US to Yale Law School, especially since his family had little money and no connections.

Encyclopedic knowledge of policy minutae...a true wonk, combined with the unique ability of knowing every single campaign donor's name and treating them like the most important person in the world.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
How could I in good faith vote for someone who you could put side to side with Hitler quotations and you wouldn't be able to differentiate which quotes were to attributable to each?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...olf-Hitler.html

Pass that quiz and I'll vote for Trump.

Trump, to my knowledge, has no plan about improving education or the economy...and dodges policy questions consistently...he wants to penalize every middle class American by putting a tariff on Chinese imports of 45% and doesn't realize that few of those outsourced low-end manufacturing jobs are returning to America no matter how much he blusters.

In good faith, would I want someone who could put the lives of every American at risk if he was in charge of the nuclear arsenal?

Someone who is indifferent to God and yet is openly pandering to Christian conservatives in Iowa with the picture of him posing with a Bible...after saying 2 Philippians or Colossians instead of 2nd since he's clearly unfamiliar?

With Hillary, you have one of the smartest presidents in history at her side...with Trump, you get a former fashion model.

You missed the thread where Leonard Pitts convinced me that Trump's legion of fans were too dangerous to put him in office. So I'm not a Trump guy anymore. I was saying Sanders vs. Cruz would be a fair election. Or isn't it time Bush rally? I just don't see how anybody can justify backing somebody like Hillary. She already got her participation award when they named her Secretary of State. Give her another job like that if we must.

Great, now I'm reading all the articles that she is ahead in Iowa and going to win Monday. I forgot about the media charade in which they 'criticize' the Democrat when it doesn't matter, then come out blazing in favor of them when it's voting time.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
You missed the thread where Leonard Pitts convinced me that Trump's legion of fans were too dangerous to put him in office. So I'm not a Trump guy anymore. I was saying Sanders vs. Cruz would be a fair election. Or isn't it time Bush rally? I just don't see how anybody can justify backing somebody like Hillary. She already got her participation award when they named her Secretary of State. Give her another job like that if we must.

Great, now I'm reading all the articles that she is ahead in Iowa and going to win Monday. I forgot about the media charade in which they 'criticize' the Democrat when it doesn't matter, then come out blazing in favor of them when it's voting time.

I bet you didn't notice the NY Times endorsed Kasich...

The GOP would prefer Trump to Cruz at this point. And Rubio, if he can just go along in third place until Cruz implodes, he still has a decent shot still at winning unless Trump runs the table through South Carolina.

Why would anyone vote for Ted Cruz, exactly?

http://news.yahoo.com/cruz-campaign-under-...-230709122.html

If Obama couldn't work with the GOP, an elected Cruz has even less of a shot at cross-aisle cooperation from Congress.

That's actually one of Trump's selling points, the lack of being beholden to special interests on either side and chameleon like nature (Democrat to independent/moderate to Hitler) of his fascinating political ascendancy.

From all the recent tea leaf readings (see Nate Silver's site and latest DMR poll), Cruz is falling now...not Trump.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-c...of-ted-cruz.ece

Some more reading to get you put of the Cruz tent...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...ama_129494.html

And away from Sanders as well.

I've never despised a candidate as I do Hillary. I voted for Obama. He failed me. I thought Romney was a lousy candidate. But Hillary ... I hate to say it but I'd almost take anybody but Hillary. I can't imagine her representing our country for eight years. But I do realize that's the reality. How the heck are we going to survive eight years of Hillary.

She has no positions of interest. She's trying to barely escape another scandal. She and Trump are the same in they probably are sickened at the thought of picking a Veep. They don't want to share any spotlight. But Hillary I just think is a bit more evil than even Trump if that's the right word.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
I've never despised a candidate as I do Hillary. I voted for Obama. He failed me. I thought Romney was a lousy candidate. But Hillary ... I hate to say it but I'd almost take anybody but Hillary. I can't imagine her representing our country for eight years. But I do realize that's the reality. How the heck are we going to survive eight years of Hillary.

She has no positions of interest. She's trying to barely escape another scandal. She and Trump are the same in they probably are sickened at the thought of picking a Veep. They don't want to share any spotlight. But Hillary I just think is a bit more evil than even Trump if that's the right word.

I'm curious what scandal are you referring to? The email server thing? If so, it's not really a scandal. Maybe an error in judgement but not a scandal. It's not like she was setting up the server and domain herself. She got bad advice and ran with it. No one got hurt, no one died. Imo no harm, no foul.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:33 AM)
Gotta be tough to be little kids of candidates running for president. I sincerely feel bad for them.

Me too. I wish that "story" would get ignored. The 7 year old wasn't in the mood for some kind of photo op hug. Not Ted's fault. Not the kid's fault. Move on, media, or if it's not media, Twitter users.

Well, the nefarious interpretation if you're someone that watches tv shows like Scandal is that she is resisting being used for her father to create the imagine of the All-American, perfect family...but we obviously have no way of knowing the context or situation and what caused her reaction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-vulgarity.html

Trump is the Mussolini of America with Double the Vulgarity...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
Gotta be tough to be little kids of candidates running for president. I sincerely feel bad for them.

Totally agree, and I'm never going to make a thing of this or any other similar moments. They're kids. We're going to start trying to read deep meaning into a 7-year old's behavior on TV? Come on. None of these candidates' kids should be scrutinized that way, that seems pretty clear to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
I miss the old days when the kids were left out of things, both by the media and by the politicians.

Fwiw, Billy Carter and Jimmy Carter's daughter received a lot more attention back in the day...

The whole sordid history of the Clinton family, Roger, the stepfather, etc. Chelsea was also going through that awkward stage in the early to mid 90's, but it seems she came out fine on the other side, and maybe the best thing you can say about her parents' marriage is that they always seemed to do a good job with raising her (compared to, say, the GW Bushes or Reagans).

There recently was a Washington Post Christmas cartoon characterizing them as "little monkeys" (Cruz's kids) and the publisher apologized for going too far with that one.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-elect...monkeys-n484901

I think the most extreme example is the cruel treatment of the Spanish president's children for their appearance, to the point where they were completely shielded.

Edited by caulfield12