2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

ok one more trump post

Trump stops holding high-dollar fundraisers that were raising big cash for the GOP

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has stopped holding events for his high-dollar fundraising operation for the rest of the campaign, an unusual move that deals another serious blow to the GOP's effort to finance its get-out-the-vote operation before Election Day.

Steven Mnuchin, Trump's national finance chairman, said in an interview with The Washington Post on Tuesday that Trump Victory, a joint fundraising committee between the party and the campaign, held its last formal fundraiser on Oct. 19. The luncheon was in Las Vegas on the day of the final presidential debate.

“We’ve kind of wound down,” Mnuchin said, referring to formal fundraisers. “But the online fundraising continues to be strong.”

While Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton is headlining her last fundraiser Tuesday night in Miami, her campaign has scheduled 41 other events between now and Nov. 3 featuring high-profile surrogates such as her daughter, Chelsea, running mate Tim Kaine and the entertainer Cher, according to a schedule sent to donors this weekend.

Trump doing his best to give political scientists a solid control group for a real life study of "zero GOTV and little funding versus best GOTV to date and substantial funding"

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Greg has expressed frustration towards Brownback and bafflement that he was reelected before.

Remember, the same guys who helped run Kansas into the ground are also the senior economic advisers to Trump!

I knew about this. Using the Kansas economic plan would ruin the USA forever. However like I said before I'm not voting for Trump. This doesn't make me vote for Hillary. I'm voting for a write in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
The Daily Show dropped the ball by not hiring Samantha Bee after Stewart left. If she was interested in it. Her TBS show kills it.

I mean, I don't think people are really giving Trevor Noah his due. He's doing a solid job, but people are ignoring him, and any praise people give for him is muted with "but I really miss Stewart..." They won't let him be his own guy.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
I mean, I don't think people are really giving Trevor Noah his due. He's doing a solid job, but people are ignoring him, and any praise people give for him is muted with "but I really miss Stewart..." They won't let him be his own guy.

I don't know man. He's just not good, and I think 80% of that is writing (daily show itself started to fall off after 2010 imo when Stewart started believing his own hype that he was uniquely wise and the true reasonable american), but they also don't have the correspondent pipeline they used to have. But then there is Noah. His cadence is strange, comedically, he tends to swallow the punch lines instead of emphasize them...

but also it just feels like the daily show just doesn't have a point of view anymore. It started out with Kilbourn skewing the news, stewart skewed politicians and news, but now it just seems to peddle nowthis meme outrage fodder.

Back in my day.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
I think he's borderline unwatchable. His comedic delivery is awful, and he isn't capable of the genuine righteous indignation on serious topics that Stewart was. 0/2

Yes, this is a good summary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
I don't know man. He's just not good, and I think 80% of that is writing (daily show itself started to fall off after 2010 imo when Stewart started believing his own hype that he was uniquely wise and the true reasonable american), but they also don't have the correspondent pipeline they used to have. But then there is Noah. His cadence is strange, comedically, he tends to swallow the punch lines instead of emphasize them...

but also it just feels like the daily show just doesn't have a point of view anymore. It started out with Kilbourn skewing the news, stewart skewed politicians and news, but now it just seems to peddle nowthis meme outrage fodder.

Back in my day.

I think Stewart was a specific person for a specific time. Before Bush was elected the Daily Show was basically what it is now (without the viral factor), but then 9-11 happened and we had that years-long period of absurdity with the Bush administration and Republicans, and his show evolved into a type of salve for liberals to cope with until we could get our own people back in charge. Once Obama was elected, that wasn't really needed anymore, and since Stewart never actually WANTED to be this cultural focal point, he recognized it was a good time to move on so he stepped down. There really isn't any re-creating the Daily Show from, say, 2002-2008. That time is now past.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
I think Stewart was a specific person for a specific time. Before Bush was elected the Daily Show was basically what it is now (without the viral factor), but then 9-11 happened and we had that years-long period of absurdity with the Bush administration and Republicans, and his show evolved into a type of salve for liberals to cope with until we could get our own people back in charge. Once Obama was elected, that wasn't really needed anymore, and since Stewart never actually WANTED to be this cultural focal point, he recognized it was a good time to move on so he stepped down. There really isn't any re-creating the Daily Show from, say, 2002-2008. That time is now past.

Stewart vs Fox News 08-14 was still some of his best work.

I gave Trevor a good 6 month tryout but just wasn't finding it engrossing, eventually started looking away. Still check out the occasional clip online but it hasn't yet grabbed me with a reason to turn in.

Havne't caught Sam's show from Monday yet, but both her last week and Oliver on Sunday had at least 2 very loud laugh outbursts from me each, the Daily Show wasn't getting any of those once Stewart left.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)

Back in my day.

emot-bahgawd.gif

The Stewart TDS shine started wearing off for me some time around 2012 I think, stopped becoming a regular watch in 2013 or 2014. I tried giving Trevor Noah a chance, but I just couldn't get back into it.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
I think he's borderline unwatchable. His comedic delivery is awful, and he isn't capable of the genuine righteous indignation on serious topics that Stewart was. 0/2

This is what I'm talking about. He's not Stewart. He can't BE Stewart. People gotta let him be who he is instead of comparing him to how closely he can approximate Stewart's delivery. He can't.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
This is what I'm talking about. He's not Stewart. He can't BE Stewart. People gotta let him be who he is instead of comparing him to how closely he can approximate Stewart's delivery. He can't.

Neither Oliver nor Bee attempts to be Stewart, yet they have their own voice and can nail some unbeatable moments. That's what keeps me tuning in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Neither Oliver nor Bee attempts to be Stewart, yet they have their own voice and can nail some unbeatable moments. That's what keeps me tuning in.

Yeah, Oliver is on his own show and can do things his own way, which is more or less a type of long-form comedy journalism. Bee does something like that, too. Stewart never really wanted to be taken that seriously (he would never have led a 7-minute segment on how superdelegates work for example). Noah is shoehorned and doesn't have that kind of freedom.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)

He doesn't have to approximate Jon Stewart's delivery. He just needs to be funny, and for the political/media/social criticisms to feel genuine.

He fails on both accounts.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)

But, sir, you are missing good Jon Stewart from 2008-2010 of Jon Stewart vs. Financial Press.

Late 90's and very early 00's TDS (talking Colbert and Carell vintage here) parodied a lot of local and nightly national newscasts, not just political stuff and cable news. That's where you got stuff like Produce Pete. Welp off to waste my day watching classic TDS clips!

p.s. Ezio is also definitely right in that TDS (and Colbert) reached its peak during the Bush years as a cathartic outlet for liberals. But a few years after Obama was first elected, it became more and more the Jon Stewart show with the best of the correspondents going on to bigger and better things and a generally weaker supporting cast with less funny segments.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
But, sir, you are missing good Jon Stewart from 2008-2010 of Jon Stewart vs. Financial Press.

his interview with Jim Cramer is up there as one of his all-time best, along with his spot on Crossfire and when he interviewed Betsy McCaughey during the initial stages of the ACA.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)

Back in my day.

Yeah. Noah seems cool, but I gave him like 4 months before I stopped DVRing it. Needs to try and make it his own because he can't pull off the Stewart method.

Oliver has been great but has a ton of jokes (mainly his metaphors) that fall flat. Where he excels is being able to go deeper into meaningful topics and actually explain them out with comedy and some knowledge.

Noah has some funny moments but quite frankly it's wayyy to liberal friendly. I know Trump provides a lot of material and everything but it's gotten pretty unbearable.

I never thought Samantha Bee was that funny on the Daily Show, I've been impressed with what she's been able to do on her own.

The "let Noah be Noah" fails with me mainly because if he wanted to be taken as his own thing he shouldn't have kept exact same formula and show template.

Kilbourn

Topic/Image

Add Absurdity

Audience laughs

Stewart

Topic/Image

Add criticism and humor

Audience Laughs

Noah

Topic/Image

Whisper to camera and smile

Audience watches

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Oliver has been great but has a ton of jokes (mainly his metaphors) that fall flat. Where he excels is being able to go deeper into meaningful topics and actually explain them out with comedy and some knowledge.

Noah has some funny moments but quite frankly it's wayyy to liberal friendly. I know Trump provides a lot of material and everything but it's gotten pretty unbearable.

I never thought Samantha Bee was that funny on the Daily Show, I've been impressed with what she's been able to do on her own.

Oliver definitely has a tendency to drive a joke into the ground or to keep trying to make an unfunny thing stick throughout multiple episodes.

I've yet to catch Sam Bee's show beyond a clip about "rigged elections" a coworker sent me a week ago, but that was solid.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Late 90's and very early 00's TDS (talking Colbert and Carell vintage here) parodied a lot of local and nightly national newscasts, not just political stuff and cable news. That's where you got stuff like Produce Pete. Welp off to waste my day watching classic TDS clips!

p.s. Ezio is also definitely right in that TDS (and Colbert) reached its peak during the Bush years as a cathartic outlet for liberals. But a few years after Obama was first elected, it became more and more the Jon Stewart show with the best of the correspondents going on to bigger and better things and a generally weaker supporting cast with less funny segments.

his interview with Jim Cramer is up there as one of his all-time best, along with his spot on Crossfire and when he interviewed Betsy McCaughey during the initial stages of the ACA.

It's funny because even though I applaud it highlights my biggest criticism with Post bush years Stewart which was giving undue power and influence to cable news personalities. No...Jim Cramer did not cause the financial crisis.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)

I like the Jon Oliver show but I don't find his comedy that funny. His material and subjects are so well done though.

I need to read all the posts before I respond because I am just repeating other people's points.

Edited by Brian

The TDS/Colbert/Conan 'feud' during the writers' strike was great work by the three of them, too.

This is the best TDS clip of all time

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1gonk2/the-d...charles-scandal

just scroll through this wiki for a blast from the past of all of the segments they used to do. Ad Nauseum, Dollars and "Cents", Out at the Movies with Frank DeCaro. The tone of the show was very different 10-1218 years ago (god damn that makes me feel old).

240px-ThisWeekInGod.jpg

beep beep Boop beep beeep beep Boop beep booop beeeeep

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
Oliver definitely has a tendency to drive a joke into the ground or to keep trying to make an unfunny thing stick throughout multiple episodes.

I've yet to catch Sam Bee's show beyond a clip about "rigged elections" a coworker sent me a week ago, but that was solid.

I like when Oliver does that just because it's a wink that they don't take themselves that seriously which is important in the middle of some pretty hard hitting stuff.

But Oliver is much more like Colbert in his ability to make the audience feel like they are in on it. Stewart at his best did that too.