**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Finally saw the Big Short. That was tremendous.

I'm so amazed that I'm not sure I've seen a movie adapted so literally from the book (I mean conversations, characters, settings, etc), and I can't believe this is the Book I say that to.

Carrell was really good for that role. From afar, I thought he would play Bale's character.

Top Movies of 2016, subject to change due to older, faulty memory.

1. Mad Max

2. Spotlight

3. Brooklyn

4. Big Short

5. Star Wars

6. Creed

7. Sicario

Average movies I enjoyed my evening watching despite not being more than filler: Spectre, Trainwreck, Martian.

Actual best movie of decade: Aloha

I'm not sure I would put Trainwreck in the same sentence with The Martian, but somehow that film and The Big Short are being considered comedies for the Golden Globes

And, yeah...Cameron Crowe used to have the potential to be a great director but has really tumbled backwards.

It seems like Bradley Cooper is putting himself in danger of overexposure. Seems he's in nearly every third movie out. I haven't actually watched that one to see how bad it is, but any movie with Emma Stone can't be completely terrible, can it? One thing that really seemed to push that movie into the abyss was all the controversy over casting and having no reflection of the true diversity of the Hawaiian islands.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
Outside of Sicario, that whole post was great, bmags. Especially the last line.

I ride hard for Emily blunt for action roles. Script was very "Hollywood does cynicism" but she's great and worth watching.

Also add spy to popcorn movies in 2015 worth a watch not worth ranking.

Spy is worth it for Jason Statham doing tongue in cheek, over the top comedy alone...

GG Update:

Kate Winslet won for Steve Jobs, Matt Damon for The Martian...

Even though it's a TV series, it feels more like a documentary/movie:

WINNER: Oscar Isaac, Show Me a Hero From the creator of The Wire, six part series, worth checking out

David Oyelowo, Nightingale

Mark Rylance, Wolf Hall

Patrick Wilson, Fargo

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
Concussion was fine. Felt the love story really messed up the pacing.

IMO, Concussion was same type of movie as Spotlight and Big Short, and it shows how impressive those two were for making perfect choices in almost every way, including not putting any ridiculous love story angle and focusing on ensemble cast.

i saw Solace and i really like it. i thought Anthony Hopkins as the doctor was believable, for me. Colin Farrell who i really never liked as an actor, did a really good job in this movie.

it was kind of weird in a sense that as i was watching the movie, i found myself comparing it to the org movie manhunter, the org Dr. Hannibal Lecktor.....

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
Concussion was fine. Felt the love story really messed up the pacing.

yeah in a way, i agree. i could have done without it, unless it was to show that all didn't go right for him either and he too suffered as well, in a different way.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:07 PM)
IMO, Concussion was same type of movie as Spotlight and Big Short, and it shows how impressive those two were for making perfect choices in almost every way, including not putting any ridiculous love story angle and focusing on ensemble cast.

Was thinking the same thing as I watched. Especially comparing with Big Short.

Amber Heard is going to play Mera, the wife of Aquaman and warrior queen of Atlantis for those not familiar with the comics.

Word around the campfire was that WB was looking at minority actresses for the role.

She could, along with Atlantis appear in Justice Leauge Part One before the solo Aquaman film.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
The Revenant didn't force a love story like Dances with Wolves into it either...there was a point it felt it could go in that direction, which still ends up as a kep plot point later in the movie.

The addition of the father/son idea was the main Hollywoodization.

It got a little too artsy for me at some points with the visions, but other than that I enjoyed the move very much. Very visually intriguing and two of Hollywood's best actors out there.

Saw the Revenant tonight. Very disappointed. Inarritu does very safe movies with high technical skill. I liked Birdman, but it was a wink wink nod nod inside show business movie that the academy had been eating up recently. This was a story with no hard choices. It was a basic tale of chase and revenge. The physical effort was impressive, and yes, he can do tracking shots all over.

But was there any point where your stomach tied knowing that the two stories would weave together? It meandered about, then suddenly a frenchman appears and they are there together. Even in the chase, there is no buildup, he suddenly appears (and don't forget to suddenly add character development for the general who apparently is important!).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
Saw the Revenant tonight. Very disappointed. Inarritu does very safe movies with high technical skill. I liked Birdman, but it was a wink wink nod nod inside show business movie that the academy had been eating up recently. This was a story with no hard choices. It was a basic tale of chase and revenge. The physical effort was impressive, and yes, he can do tracking shots all over.

But was there any point where your stomach tied knowing that the two stories would weave together? It meandered about, then suddenly a frenchman appears and they are there together. Even in the chase, there is no buildup, he suddenly appears (and don't forget to suddenly add character development for the general who apparently is important!).

I wouldn't hold a 'safe basic story' against anybody. How many great stories are basic in nature? Being complicated isn't a guarantee for being a good story.

He was getting more notices for Legend about the Kray brothers.

"The acting nominees, which notably omitted Idris Elba for "Beasts of No Nation" and Benicio Del Toro for "Sicario," gave the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences an awkward repeat of the "OscarsSoWhite" backlash that followed last year's acting nominees."

By the way, if you liked Sicario....Cartel Land is the documentary counterpoint. Morally, still hard to decide what to think about the vigilante Autodefensas and right wing border patrol types on the other side of the border.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
Only big surprise with Oscar nominations is Tom Hardy getting supporting nom for The Revenant which I'm happy about. Don't think he was getting recognized anywhere else.

His performance was pretty damn solid.

bmags I'm sorry you don't like good movies

edit: I hadn't heard all of the "only filmed in natural lighting" etc. hype about the movie before seeing it, but holy hell was the background lighting absolutely beautiful during the final confrontation.

The bear attack CGI was really, really good and seemed like an accurate portrayal of grizzly attacks, but then the bison CGI scene looked terrible. I'm not sure what was going on there.

The movie could have been about 20 minutes shorter and didn't need so many flashbacks.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
I'm glad you all are so entertained by four hours of campfire shots to break up the exciting walking shots.

I would legit just watch a beautifully shot movie of walking through the Canadian Rockies for 3 hours so I may be a little biased.

Well, there you go. I would not. First 30 minutes, very pumped. But if you are going to tell a simple story of revenge, you better damn make sure the revenge is a payoff.

The extended focus on his journey back (only to be suddenly in the same place as Tom Hardy's character) seemed to only re-iterate that his perserverence was incredible, he didn't learn anything from it (Except that he likes Pawnee). You know what kills the movie? There is no paranoia from Hardy that Glass may have actually survived, so there is no tension that Glass is getting close.

Alright, listen, the silence of the lambs tunnel scene onward in Sicario is not good. The partner dynamic between Blunt and that dude was really unbelievable. But Emily Blunt kicking ass for 2 hours still proivdes such a high floor.