Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
IMO if they didn't think their offer would be good enough why even offer it? Even if they thought they had an outside shot. They wouldn't offer a contract thinking the player wouldn't accept it just to say "oh man we tried and struck out" or they wouldn't offer the contract if they didn't have interest in said player and vice versa. If Latos hadn't showed legitimate interest in us they would have never offered a contract in the first place.

a good thought process.

i would think, like the sox did in the cespy bidding, they, the fo may have implied they were in the running or made a bid for cespy and others fa's services. to appease the fan base ... the season ticket holders and / or would - be season ticket holders.

in other words, lip service.

With pitchers and catchers reporting soon, we just about have all the major free-agent signings wrapped up. It looks like Yovani Gallardo is about to sign with the Orioles, and there are rumors that Dexter Fowler could soon join him now that Baltimore has apparently decided to give up their first-round draft pick. With so many good outfielders available this winter, as the music stops, the available chairs for Fowler seem less desirable than we might have thought at the end of last season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/questioning...ve-improvement/

I clicked on this to read what Edwards had to say about Fowler's defense. What he says in the first paragraph goes in line with the speculation late last week.

Anyway. Thought I'd share because this is a very in-depth write-up and we'll done at that.

e Orioles continued negotiations with free-agent right-hander Yovani Gallardo on Monday, according to an industry source, with parties remaining optimistic that a deal could be finalized over the next few days.

I’m continuing to hear that any pursuit of free-agent outfielder Dexter Fowler hinges on getting a deal done with Gallardo, even though there are those in the Orioles organization who believe it’s more important to sign Fowler because if you’re surrendering a draft pick, you’re doing it for an everyday player.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles...0216-story.html

Sounding more and more like Fowler ends up in Baltimore.

OK Back to rumors

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jose-re...spension-021616

It’s difficult to imagine Desmond’s price dropping to the point where the Rays could justify forfeiting their first-round pick, No. 13 overall. The White Sox, meanwhile, are more focused on adding an outfielder through free agency or trade, sources say.

The Sox, like the Rockies, hold a protected pick, No. 10 overall. They conceivably could sign both Desmond and free-agent outfielder Dexter Fowler and sacrifice their next two selections, currently Nos. 28 and 49. But they also might be content to play Tyler Saladino at short until top prospect Tim Anderson is ready, perhaps later this season.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
OK Back to rumors

It’s difficult to imagine Desmond’s price dropping to the point where the Rays could justify forfeiting their first-round pick, No. 13 overall. The White Sox, meanwhile, are more focused on adding an outfielder through free agency or trade, sources say.

The Sox, like the Rockies, hold a protected pick, No. 10 overall. They conceivably could sign both Desmond and free-agent outfielder Dexter Fowler and sacrifice their next two selections, currently Nos. 28 and 49. But they also might be content to play Tyler Saladino at short until top prospect Tim Anderson is ready, perhaps later this season.

Still very weird to me that Heyman just straight missed on the Desmond/Sox thing.

Sure seems like the Sox are working on yet another trade & may have Fowler/Jackson as a backup plan.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
OK Back to rumors

If Fowler and Gallardo go to Baltimore and Desmond goes to Colorado, the White Sox would choose #11, #27, and #47

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 05:56 AM)
Colorado gets Desmond

Orioles get Gallardo and Fowler

Sox get Jackson and keep their picks

There, everyone is happy. :D

really nice.

i will not rain on your parade asking questions about dealing with jackson agent. :gosox1:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
Colorado gets Desmond

Orioles get Gallardo and Fowler

Sox get Jackson and keep their picks

There, everyone is happy. :D

No not everyone and i suspect alot will be angry. Jackson is a nothing pickup and he shouldn't even be mentioned IMO. Fowler or go big for Puig.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
I think Jackson will sign with Milwaukee. They didn't have a true CF on their team and moved Davis which means Braun and and Santana will be the corners. Jackson can be a trade candidate in June/July for them.

nice thinking. i like it.

the problem i have in that thought process, the brewers are rebuilding, i really don't think they will take on extra salary. plus they may want that extra ticks higher in the following yr draft.

that ticks may be comprise if they signed jackson.

this is my opinion only.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 06:22 AM)
nice thinking. i like it.

the problem i have in that thought process, the brewers are rebuilding, i really don't think they will take on extra salary. plus they may want that extra ticks higher in the following yr draft.

that ticks may be comprise if they signed jackson.

this is my opinion only.

Jackson doesn't cost a pick so idk what that has to do with the draft.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 06:38 AM)
Jackson doesn't cost a pick so idk what that has to do with the draft.

The idea that improving the team's victory total from 59 to 61 or 62 wins and a pick outside of the Top 2-3 might not be worth the risk/return of signing Jackson with the principal idea of trading him again.

And Boras won't give the Brewers any kind of discount.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
The idea that improving the team's victory total from 59 to 61 or 62 wins and a pick outside of the Top 2-3 might not be worth the risk/return of signing Jackson with the principal idea of trading him again.

really nice and on the dime.

i would like to add, jackson will add to payroll, why add when the team is rebuilding.

jackson will add to a few more wins. that may affect the pick from picking #1 to, for this discussion, #4.... the difference of a Rodon and a Nick Gordon from the 2014 draft.

again this is only a thought process.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)

Other than Braun and Garza, who are they spending on? I'm sure they can afford to pay him for half a season.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 07:24 AM)
Jackson would be my preferred pickup. Upgrades the bad OF defense immensely.

If Jackson became a White Sox, I would be happy.

Yet another guy with hardly any chatter, and he has no QO offer. Boras is a magician with contracts, but sometimes his players get burned. Jackson seems to be heading that way.