**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Any game suggestions for me? I just got the Xbox One. I'm looking to play a game like Fallout 4, but I have noticed some mediocre reviews of the game. Wondering if there are any other games with a similar type offline experience that are running for less than $40.00 (Fallout 4 is running at $25.00 right now on amazon).

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
Hi all,

Any game suggestions for me? I just got the Xbox One. I'm looking to play a game like Fallout 4, but I have noticed some mediocre reviews of the game. Wondering if there are any other games with a similar type offline experience that are running for less than $40.00 (Fallout 4 is running at $25.00 right now on amazon).

Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas. Skyrim.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Justifying the price is entirely up to you if you only play a few games. That said, the system is super easy to use compared to the PS3. Playing online is usually seamless if you have halfway decent internet.

Cool, thanks for your input. I played it a couple times at a buddies house and I had a great time. How much extra is online generally? Is it a yearly thing or per month?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Civ-to-Civ diplomacy seems jacked up right now, and they're gonna need some patching. China declared war on me 3-4 times and I was sick of it, so I countered and took their capital. The other 4 Civs immediately hated me (even the 2 China was beating up) and declared me a warmonger for the rest of the game. Gimme a break.

I finished that first game with a Cultural victory. My cities had become more balanced by the end of the game. Nothing had every district, but none were limited to being The Science City or anything like that.

Biggest lesson from game 1: be more aggressive with military and expansion.

Barbs definitely have a ton of power. My first game was an archipelago random map, so I was insulated from their hordes early on. But about mid-game, I had a solid fleet of quadriremes when someone else advanced to the renaissance. All of a sudden, there are barb caravels floating all over the world, wrecking absolutely everyone's ships.

came across this guide for placing districts and bonuses

roUW0RN.png

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
For those of you that have a PS4, would you recommend it? I currently have a PS2 and am looking to upgrade. I'm a casual gamer that plays the likes of MLB The Show, Madden, NBA2K, etc. If I do go through with it, is playing online as good as it seems? Thanks.

I'd get it. I play GTA, Madden, MLBTS, NBA2K, NHL, and Battlefield on it and I'd say it's worth the price. Online in sports games isn't really my thing, but GTA/Battlefield online are fun.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Are the graphics really that much better than BF4? It didn't scream way better to me, just marginally.

The gameplay is pretty great, still getting used to the different weapons and such but had a ton of fun playing. The first 4 hours of playing my buddy and I were struggling hard against tanks but finally got some anti-tank weapons that helped immensely. The beginning was pretty much getting burned whenever a tank came by.

The BF franchise still struggles with navigational controls in the waiting/pre-post game screens. Not being able to exit at points with the only option of closing the app (on PS4) should have been corrected in this version. Customization should be available offline (though I haven't dug around too much for that so I could've missed it). Just a lot of common sense things to improve the overall experience would be nice, figured there would've been enough feedback from BF4 to put light on that but maybe not.

I do see a graphics increase between BF4/Hardline, especially in the campaign maps though.

Yes, the gameplay takes some adjustment but is great once you get the hang of it.

And agreed, my biggest complaint is the inability to edit classes while not in a game, or not being able to exit after 15 seconds of the postgame menu.

I got a PS4 for my birthday this past weekend. I got the Uncharted 4 bundle and also picked up MLB The Show and The Last of Us.

I know nothing about the Uncharted series but I've been enjoying the game so far. I think there were some references to the previous 3 games in a couple of cut scenes that I didn't totally understand.

I had been playing The Show 12 on my ps3 for a while. The upgrade to 16 is quite a jump. It just sucks that I have to start over from scratch with my created player in RTTS.

Haven't cracked open The Last of Us yet. Heard good things about it though. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
I had been playing The Show 12 on my ps3 for a while. The upgrade to 16 is quite a jump. It just sucks that I have to start over from scratch with my created player in RTTS.

One advantage now is if you get MLBTS every year, you can continue your RTTS/franchise from the previous game on the new one.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
Hi all,

Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4 are good single-player games in the Assassin's Creed mold - climb a tower to unlock a bunch of activities in an area, complete them, move on to the next area, repeat. Not sure what they cost now but I'd be surprised if it's more than $40.

In any case there are usually a bunch of games on sale throughout December, so if you can stay entertained until the sales start you'll be in good shape.

I respect the Civ games and would probably enjoy it, but don't want to sink the time into it (and don't have a computer capable of running it well). I just didn't realize there were so many of you megalomaniacs out there.

Also, for all you new PS4 owners, for the love of god get Resogun.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Ken Griffey Jr will be on the cover of MLB 17 The Show.

What I found kind of interesting is that he's wearing a Sox hat in one of the pictures on the cover.

Bd0cjVk.jpg

Cause he had his best half a year ever on the Sox, duh.

That's kind of dope though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Cause he had his best half a year ever on the Sox, duh.

That's kind of dope though.

He made the best throw of his life gunning out Cuddyer at home in game 163!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
Why bother with The Show. Just port Ken Griffey baseball and give it an online mode and watch world peace happen

I don't know if I would care about the online, but my god yes. Port the crap out of this please. Heck, I'd even buy a Switch for $200 (it probably won't be for a while) if this was available on the eshop.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 01:20 AM)
I don't know if I would care about the online, but my god yes. Port the crap out of this please. Heck, I'd even buy a Switch for $200 (it probably won't be for a while) if this was available on the eshop.

I think all consoles need to have sports games that are a bit on the cartoony side, I don't even care if it is affiliated with a pro league. Ken Griffey Baseball was so much fun

My son got Skylanders Trap Team a couple of years ago for Christmas, but didn't play it for some months, then he did... I was gonna get him the characters and traps a few at a time, but in the meantime Activision has gone on and made 2 other Skylanders games since then, and Trap Team is old news. They had a Light and Dark Element expansion and those were both $30, my son asked for those (thinking I can just go to the store and get it) but I guess they stopped making it, and the only way you can get it is from scalpers on Amazon and eBay selling them for over $100. Man f*** all that!

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
My son got Skylanders Trap Team a couple of years ago for Christmas, but didn't play it for some months, then he did... I was gonna get him the characters and traps a few at a time, but in the meantime Activision has gone on and made 2 other Skylanders games since then, and Trap Team is old news. They had a Light and Dark Element expansion and those were both $30, my son asked for those (thinking I can just go to the store and get it) but I guess they stopped making it, and the only way you can get it is from scalpers on Amazon and eBay selling them for over $100. Man f*** all that!

I have the exact same issue with My son and Trap Team. It's gonna cost an arm and a leg just to 100% the game. Over the summer I saw a lot of them going on sale and tried to buy as many as I could. I am still missing a lot

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
I have the exact same issue with My son and Trap Team. It's gonna cost an arm and a leg just to 100% the game. Over the summer I saw a lot of them going on sale and tried to buy as many as I could. I am still missing a lot

It's really enough that this is the new hustle, where they get you to buy all these action figures, but this is an obnoxious business model. You guys are STILL going to release a game annually WITH expansions and then STOP supporting the old content? This isn't like DLC where I can just buy it when I want it either, i need to physically have the f***ing traps.