2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Bryant: 25 HR's, 9 against the Reds

Russell: 10 HR's, 5 against the Reds

Joke if there ever was one, man. COMPLETE joke. And somehow, someway, their overall statistics against this crap team are ignored when acknowledging their greatness. #rentfree

Man, some of you guys get super salty about the Cubs. The guy with the 4th best WAR in baseball is getting too much credit!!!!!

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say there's nothing wrong. The issues are a bit exaggerated because he wasn't going to keep pitching at this historical pace forever, and even in his "bad" stretch his ERA is still in the mid-3s over the past 8 starts or so. But his velocity is down on all of his pitches, he's only throwing about 60% strikes the last two months, and he's using his best pitch less and less (cutter) because hitters have stopped chasing it. So there are a few concerns, but it's not like he's on the verge of an implosion either. I think he's feeling the effects from all those innings last year.

Edited by OmarComing25

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...706-column.html

The funny thing when you read articles like this (by Haugh) is that almost nobody was saying the same things about the first half 2006 White Sox, and they ended up 26 games over .500 at the All-Star Break.

This Cubs' team, at best, will be 24 games over, but more likely 22.

Go Dodgers, Nationals and Mets....those are the best-suited opponents (assuming Kershaw's healthy) to wipe them out before the World Series.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 11:46 PM)
Cubs got you shook. lol.

You really need some new material, man. The whole #rentfree thing you repeat around here, and constantly saying things like this other White Sox fans is getting really, really old. I used to only read this forum and not post on here...and these kind of comments are all I really ever saw from you personally, even back then. Reading about the Cubs, or any other team for that matter, is just a part of being a baseball fan. I personally find it interesting. With that said, an often injured, high K machine Soler for Miller is ridiculous, it is not that the Cubs got me "shook."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 04:15 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...706-column.html

The funny thing when you read articles like this (by Haugh) is that almost nobody was saying the same things about the first half 2006 White Sox, and they ended up 26 games over .500 at the All-Star Break.

This Cubs' team, at best, will be 24 games over, but more likely 22.

Go Dodgers, Nationals and Mets....those are the best-suited opponents (assuming Kershaw's healthy) to wipe them out before the World Series.

Of course not. They were the defending World Series Champions. As opposed to a franchise with the longest drought in sports.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 07:08 AM)
You really need some new material, man. The whole #rentfree thing you repeat around here, and constantly saying things like this other White Sox fans is getting really, really old. I used to only read this forum and not post on here...and these kind of comments are all I really ever saw from you personally, even back then. Reading about the Cubs, or any other team for that matter, is just a part of being a baseball fan. I personally find it interesting. With that said, an often injured, high K machine Soler for Miller is ridiculous, it is not that the Cubs got me "shook."

Soler for Miller?

That's ridiculous.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:36 AM)
I hope the Cubs score 10 runs in the first inning tomorrow and force the Braves to burn through their bullpen.

I was thinking a close 20 inning game to burn the pen.

i have to admit, the Cubs are getting some of that glare that they were previously immune to. Now the media is calling out the spring training mimes and animal shows and maddons quirks. Its interesting to hear Maddons postgame comments now, because he hasnt really dealt with this before in Chicago. Last year was all rainbows and unicorns, no expectations. Now there is expectations

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
i have to admit, the Cubs are getting some of that glare that they were previously immune to. Now the media is calling out the spring training mimes and animal shows and maddons quirks. Its interesting to hear Maddons postgame comments now, because he hasnt really dealt with this before in Chicago. Last year was all rainbows and unicorns, no expectations. Now there is expectations

It may be crazy of me to say but they are hitting a HUGE fork in the road moment right now. Baseball is such a funny sport that when things start to turn for the worse it sometimes isnt repairable. The Cubs might actually be in the middle of a very epic meltdown to where they even lose the lead in the Central eventually. Its difficult to undue self doubt when a young player starts to self doubt. Hell, even when a veteran starts to go down the dark mental road.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
It may be crazy of me to say but they are hitting a HUGE fork in the road moment right now. Baseball is such a funny sport that when things start to turn for the worse it sometimes isnt repairable. The Cubs might actually be in the middle of a very epic meltdown to where they even lose the lead in the Central eventually. Its difficult to undue self doubt when a young player starts to self doubt. Hell, even when a veteran starts to go down the dark mental road.

This one is on the GM. They're going to get better whenever Fowler comes back, but that team needs bullpen help.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)

This one is on the GM. They're going to get better whenever Fowler comes back, but that team needs bullpen help.

White Sox are going to have some interesting decisions with Q and Robertson.

If you could have Moncada, Benitendi and, let's say, Baez or Contreras, would you do it, knowing that would submarine any remaining wild card chance but put you in a much better position to compete in 2018 and 2019?

(Fwiw, the Cubs are not likely to be part with Schwarber for Robertson...although Jones AND Robertson would at least make them think a second or two about it.)

Including Robertson AND Nate Jones together as a package?

If Burdi is as good as advertised, and maybe Hansen ends up there instead of starting (going max effort velocity-wise for short stretches), then you have the makings of a team that could make a deep run if they could get progressions from Rodon/Abreu/Shields and use the money freed up by trading Robertson to fill in a rotation hole (along with Fulmer). Heck, you could send Rodon down to AAA for the month of August JUST to work on his secondary pitches and then bring him back again in September to rejoin the rotation...with Fulmer and Burdi getting looks at that time, Fulmer as a spot starter/reliever. Maybe start looking at Jordan Stephens as well in different capacities.

Or you stick Burdi, Hansen AND Fulmer in the pen...another option. Create the beginnings of a "super pen."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
White Sox are going to have some interesting decisions with Q and Robertson.

If you could have Moncada, Benitendi and, let's say, Baez or Contreras, would you do it, knowing that would submarine any remaining wild card chance but put you in a much better position to compete in 2018 and 2019?

(They're not likely to be part with Schwarber for Robertson...although Jones AND Robertson would at least make them think a second or two about it.)

Including Robertson AND Nate Jones together as a package?

If Burdi is as good as advertised, and maybe Hansen ends up there instead of starting (going max effort velocity-wise for short stretches), then you have the makings of a team that could make a deep run if they could get progressions from Rodon/Abreu/Shields and use the money freed up by trading Robertson to fill in a rotation hole (along with Fulmer).

Or you stick Burdi, Hansen AND Fulmer in the pen...another option.

I would but they won't even think about it.

And, could the White Sox fans/front office ever live with helping the Cubs win the World Series?

It's not like they (the Cubs' front office) were (completely) crucified for the Garland/Karchner trade...this would be a bit more dramatic, in terms of directly helping them in the middle of a season at the trade deadline and the White Sox basically blowing off the opportunity to contend for a wild card spot.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
And, could the White Sox fans/front office ever live with helping the Cubs win the World Series?

The FO certainly only cares about the White Sox. They're not paid to help or not help the Cubs.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
Apparently a fan fell from the bleachers at wriggled during rain delay and was not moving.

Cubs say he was severely injured when trying to jump on the field from the bleachers during the rain delay