White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
Hahn also said he wouldn't be surprised if Anderson was in the major leagues this season. Maybe SS will be like the closer in 2005. Rollins starts out, sucks, is released. Saladino takes over, does OK, gets hurt, Anderson comes in and shines.

Yep. Three guys to cover the position over the course of the year. Vastly different levels experience/current ability/potential. And no reason to do anything other than give the playing time to whoever is playing best. Smart move (which I predicted).

And some people wanted to pick up Alexei's $10 million option.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
I am sure that Avi has no idea how bad he was last year.

A guy could know he was bad but until there is a consequence to being bad it may not really get through to the guy.

Once again let me say that I like Avi and I believe he is going to be a good ball player. But I dont think it would hurt for him to get some really tough love at this point in his career.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
A guy could know he was bad but until there is a consequence to being bad it may not really get through to the guy.

Once again let me say that I like Avi and I believe he is going to be a good ball player. But I dont think it would hurt for him to get some really tough love at this point in his career.

Hahn very publicly spent the whole winter looking for another OF. If Garcia didn't read the writing on the wall, he is a pretty big moron.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Yep. Three guys to cover the position over the course of the year. Vastly different levels experience/current ability/potential. And no reason to do anything other than give the playing time to whoever is playing best. Smart move (which I predicted).

And some people wanted to pick up Alexei's $10 million option.

Some people were for turning down the option and bringing back Lexi at the Sox price tag, that's how I remember it.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Some people were for turning down the option and bringing back Lexi at the Sox price tag, that's how I remember it.

There were fewer of those as I recall. Either way, Rollins was better than Alexei last year and by all projections is expected to be better this year.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Kind of a cryptic tweet from Anderson

Could he really be that upset about Rollins? He was a longshot to make the team before the signing, and honestly this move could really benefit him, where hopefully he can learn a thing or two.

Seeing this might of rattled him a bit maybe its exactly what Anderson needs and not so much just something to light a fire under Saladino.

Good move.

Shane Victorino is in the BSOHL and will be the final piece, haha.

What would amaze me is if they don't at least bring in the equivalent amount of competition for Garcia.

We found Sanchez/Micah lacking, Trayce is gone, Flowers, Alexei, Beckham finally...Garcia and LaRoche are next. Latos puts some pressure on Johnson and Danks, etc. All things considered, a better team than a year ago, but still at least one player away, in all likelihood.

Seems the KW influence with Hahn on the contract side.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
There were fewer of those as I recall. Either way, Rollins was better than Alexei last year and by all projections is expected to be better this year.

It was more shock/surprise we were finally turning the page...and partly the Abreu comfort factor, which is now less important two years in.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
Seeing this might of rattled him a bit maybe its exactly what Anderson needs and not so much just something to light a fire under Saladino.

Watching what has previously happened with Semien, Micah, Trayce, Sanchez/Saladino, Erik Johnson, the pressure on Garcia and him getting booed at a fan fest...must give a Sox prospect pause. You'd hope it has a positive effect, and it should for the best players.

And, all that said, Anderson's a tremendously talented and quietly confident kid, and hopefully has a career arc more like Rodon than any of those aforementioned names.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
Rollins had a .2 WAR last year.

Saladino had a .2 WAR last year.

But suddenly the SS hole is filled.

But by all means, let's go with the 37 year old, instead of the 2nd year player. He's "proven".

Still far better to at least have two options rather than one, Saladino has the best skillset to be a superutility guy (compared to Sanchez)....Saladino will always be the fallback option, and so will Ian Desmond in June if the Sox are getting good results everywhere but SS and have no major injuries.

It's also going to test how much Saladino and Sanchez want it...and pushes Leury Garcia one more step from the MLB roster.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
Rollins had a .2 WAR last year.

Saladino had a .2 WAR last year.

But suddenly the SS hole is filled.

But by all means, let's go with the 37 year old, instead of the 2nd year player. He's "proven".

Saladino projects out at .2 this year and Rollins .9

Rollins also has not had a season below 1.5 before last year, had most of his negative value on offense in 2015 and returned closer to his career norms in the second half.

I think Saladino in super utility role and Rollins as your primary SS makes the team a little better.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 01:52 AM)
I'm completely fine with this. Low risk and good veteran leadership and competition for Saladino.

i am completely lost, i missed this entire day of great discussion.

but i will say, without reading most of these post and after thinking, i am wondering if this was a st invite and / or if he couldn't make the team in the majors, will he accept a minor league contract???

second, a nice divergence of thinking of what is really needed, an OF'er.

but it is what it is.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
I am really really hoping they didn't offer him a lot of playing time. A career NL player on the downside of his career and the sox sign this guy and promise him playing time? Ridiculous. I'd be happier with Tyler.

No one is going to guarantee playing time AND offer only a minor league deal at the same time. The Sox offer Rollins an opportunity to get significant playing time at not only SS but also 2B, but he's got to earn the roster spot. I hope he sticks, I believe he would be a good mentor to the Sox young SS in Saladino and ultimately Anderson. He could have as big a role off the field/in the dugout as he does on the field in that regard. And he's a switch hitter to boot :)