White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
That's true. I grew up across the street from a long parkway. We "made" about 4 or 5 different fields, and every summer until HS would play from 9 AM until guys started getting yelled at to come in for dinner. Then we would go back out and play until it was too dark to see anything. My sister lives pretty close to there now, and says she hasn't seen anyone playing baseball on the parkway since I stopped playing.

dang, i remember those kind of pickup games, i remember, in the 60's groups of kids from neighborhood blocks will play against each other there was about 4 or 5 different block team, those were great fun.

DA why do you think the kids don't play block games anymore. i have a feeling, but i would like an opinion first.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
That's true. I grew up across the street from a long parkway. We "made" about 4 or 5 different fields, and every summer until HS would play from 9 AM until guys started getting yelled at to come in for dinner. Then we would go back out and play until it was too dark to see anything. My sister lives pretty close to there now, and says she hasn't seen anyone playing baseball on the parkway since I stopped playing.

I'm 25 and I'm saying that. All the way from when my friends and I were young through when we finished ollege we'd play as many games as we can all spring/summer/fall. If we didn't have enough guys we'd just do BP (sometimes we'd have 4 guys only). In college we'd have to wait for more people to be home from school. Not just our group too, anytime i was in the car with my parents I always noticed kids outside playing (not just baseball). Now, people have moved and have regular jobs so it's tough. I'd kill to consistently get pick up baseball games going again. You seriously don't see too many kids outside doing anything anymore. It's really sad.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
dang, i remember those kind of pickup games, i remember, in the 60's groups of kids from neighborhood blocks will play against each other there was about 4 or 5 different block team, those were great fun.

DA why do you think the kids don't play block games anymore. i have a feeling, but i would like an opinion first.

Birth control.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:21 AM)
I'm 25 and I'm saying that. All the way from when my friends and I were young through when we finished ollege we'd play as many games as we can all spring/summer/fall. If we didn't have enough guys we'd just do BP (sometimes we'd have 4 guys only). In college we'd have to wait for more people to be home from school. Not just our group too, anytime i was in the car with my parents I always noticed kids outside playing (not just baseball). Now, people have moved and have regular jobs so it's tough. I'd kill to consistently get pick up baseball games going again. You seriously don't see too many kids outside doing anything anymore. It's really sad.

pick up games where the best.... when hs came around and in senior yr, softball. i was easily on several teams. the point is, these pickup game made the love for baseball as the #1 sports for me. then hockey, same thing as the baseball pickup games.

but i really don't know much of this ACE program the the sox are part of, but again this is just another great feather in the owners hats to do this.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
Definitely agree. Anderson will gain so much more from Rollins than just learning about SS position. Anderson is mature for his age and carries himself very well, much like Rollins so I think their personalities will mesh very well together. Rollins is literally the perfect mentor for Anderson and this move makes me wonder if the Sox expect to see Anderson sooner than we may think. I know the Sox signed Rollins to have more depth at SS but there seems to be an underlying theme behind the signing and that to me is Rollins mentoring Anderson and Saladino.

Same here. Two reasons for this that I can think of is 1) going by the African American friends I have and the folks I've worked with through the years, many African Americans are into basketball and football. Not trying to generalize, just based on my own experience is all. 2) we are seeing more Latinos coming from the Caribbean, Central and South America now more than ever.

There has been progress, ever since the RBI program started we've seen more black players drafted than any time in recent memory. The lack of black fathers has something to do with it and another thing that contributes to it is that black people don't feel welcome when it comes to baseball, because the vast majority of us feel like our culture is not welcomed.

Look at this:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...-his-hat-around

You're a black player and when you do something 'not white' you're told to stop.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
There has been progress, ever since the RBI program started we've seen more black players drafted than any time in recent memory. The lack of black fathers has something to do with it and another thing that contributes to it is that black people don't feel welcome when it comes to baseball, because the vast majority of us feel like our culture is not welcomed.

Look at this:

You're a black player and when you do something 'not white' you're told to stop.

i really don't buy this, how a player wears his hat in not culture, it is wanting to be different... in baseball, it appears to me as all the managers and FO types are old traditionalist .

now if you gave an example of 2 types of water fountains, one for minorities and one for white, or being late for practice. another will be like the post game or pregame meals, the FO does not condone different ethnic types of food.

the point is, use something that really shows the difference or really explain your point.

There doesn't have to be segregation. That is actually not allowed, so its a really bad (and strange) example.

Collins calling out Yo for something very benign may not be racially motivated (although it is easy to see how it would be), but it doesn't have to be for the point to stand. There are a lot of Terry Collins' in the baseball world. Some are coaches, some are players, some are scouts, and some are executives. All of them have a rigid idea of how to "play the game the right way" which is such a stupid notion I won't even get into it.

The point is that a young, athletically talented black kid with options will probably prefer to play a sport where there are less Terry Collins' to tell him he is wrong to be himself.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)

Look at this:

The fact that the NFL and NBA is an immediate payday has something to do with it as well, right? You can make the most $$ playing baseball but it takes the longest amount of time to actually make that $$.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
ok, i am laughing and i really don't know why :lol:

most excellent post.

In my neighborhood growing up as well as the surrounding ones, there were plenty of kids to form teams. We had 8 kids in our block that played against teams from areas easily walked to. Our local neighborhood city playground organized sandlot games in addition to our own pick-up games. Ironically now the schools are saying that the 60/70 boom is long gone and with smaller family size the schools are now operating at 60% capacity. Thyere are still empty lots, still recreation center ball fields but they mostly are empty. Basketball and soccer now seem to occupy the youth and both need much less equipment and even number of players.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
There doesn't have to be segregation. That is actually not allowed, so its a really bad (and strange) example.

Collins calling out Yo for something very benign may not be racially motivated (although it is easy to see how it would be), but it doesn't have to be for the point to stand. There are a lot of Terry Collins' in the baseball world. Some are coaches, some are players, some are scouts, and some are executives. All of them have a rigid idea of how to "play the game the right way" which is such a stupid notion I won't even get into it.

The point is that a young, athletically talented black kid with options will probably prefer to play a sport where there are less Terry Collins' to tell him he is wrong to be himself.

racial lines have been crossed, being a minority and working in Civil Rights, racial slurs are perception unless it is overt.

ex, i played softball and in DC we had a team, i played SS and there is one guy who kept on calling the mexican jumping bean. i told him i was Apache and then said, that the buffalo solldiers mated with the buffaloes and that is how Native Indian came to be..... he thought it was clever on how it said that crap.

the point is, unless it is overt, it is a perception, so unless it can be proven that there was racial intent, the way someone wheres their cloths is a fashion intent.

i am going to stop here, this kind of discussion prob should be on another area of soxtalk

peace

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
In my neighborhood growing up as well as the surrounding ones, there were plenty of kids to form teams. We had 8 kids in our block that played against teams from areas easily walked to. Our local neighborhood city playground organized sandlot games in addition to our own pick-up games. Ironically now the schools are saying that the 60/70 boom is long gone and with smaller family size the schools are now operating at 60% capacity. Thyere are still empty lots, still recreation center ball fields but they mostly are empty. Basketball and soccer now seem to occupy the youth and both need much less equipment and even number of players.

yeah the kids of today are missing a great part of what people like me had back in the 60's and 70's. (this is based on my age)

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)

Look at this:

Good grief, Collins needs to shut up about the backwards hat. That's just too pretentiously nit-picky. It's ST, who cares! Then again, I'm not surprised. I've had people from the generation before me give me a hard time for wearing my hat backwards and I've been wearing my hat backwards since the late 70's/early 80's when I was a kid. If the sun is out I wear it the usual way to shield my eyes ( ginger's don't like sunlight :P) but otherwise, I prefer it backwards and always have. Society is too wrapped up with what is socially accepted as the 'proper' way of doing things.

I appreciate your insight from an African American's point of view on Baseball. It's amazing how far society/baseball has come and yet still has a long way to go when it comes to accepting the cultures of others. When will people learn?

I think Rollins, Anderson and Saladino should all wear their hats backwards and make a statement. :lol:

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 02:39 AM)

Look at this:

On the other hand Terry Collins allowed Yo to smoke in the dug out...

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)

I will toast my drink in your honor tonight, you nailed it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Good grief, Collins needs to shut up about the backwards hat. That's just too pretentiously nit-picky. It's ST, who cares! Then again, I'm not surprised. I've had people from the generation before me give me a hard time for wearing my hat backwards and I've been wearing my hat backwards since the late 70's/early 80's when I was a kid. If the sun is out I wear it the usual way to shield my eyes ( ginger's don't like sunlight :P) but otherwise, I prefer it backwards and always have. Society is too wrapped up with what is socially accepted as the 'proper' way of doing things.

I appreciate your insight from an African American's point of view on Baseball. It's amazing how far society/baseball has come and yet still has a long way to go when it comes to accepting the cultures of others. When will people learn?

I think Rollins, Anderson and Saladino should all wear their hats backwards and make a statement. :lol:

Jackie Robinson might have broke the barrier, but the color line in baseball is something that still exist in today's world, it just changed forms.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
If you take BP seriously, they tell you Tim Anderson is never going to be a major league SS. The people doing the White Sox position player write ups this year were a bit cranky. They loved the pitchers, except not so much for Rodon. They did call Quintana perhaps the greatest 6 year minor league free agent signing of all time.

They need to have a talk with their ex pat Law who says he could play major league SS right now defensively, if he hit 8th or 9th and the Sox basically gave up on his plate discipline ever developing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
They need to have a talk with their ex pat Law who says he could play major league SS right now defensively, if he hit 8th or 9th and the Sox basically gave up on his plate discipline ever developing.

Another thing they wrote was that the White Sox stick with their prospects too long. I really enjoy reading BP every year, but this year's write up on the team and players was beyond bizarre. It was as if a sports talk call in wrote it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)

I think everyone believes his defensive is plenty good enough.