Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
I understand respecting authority, but there are times you must step up for yourself and maybe your co workers. You have to have enough self respect not to let someone walk all over you.

and in baseball it is called the union, the union rep takes it to the union to act on it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
and in baseball it is called the union, the union rep takes it to the union to act on it.

I dont think the union can step in on verbal agreements.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
i never said anything racial on any of my post ....

eaton can do his job as rep, but why the tweets???

ref the cuban and latino faction.... they are prob thinking these americans are crazy.... :lol:

No I was referring to earlier in the thread it was asked why it seemed the LaRoche supporters appeared to be only white. I just think that is circumstance .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
No I was referring to earlier in the thread it was asked why it seemed the LaRoche supporters appeared to be only white. I just think that is circumstance .

and i asked this.... r u sure it was me....

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
I'd be lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind that everyone loves LaRoche - especially if you're white, Christian, and like to kill stuff.

You forgot country music (the LaRoches are friends with Jason Aldean, whoever that is) and trapping.

Similar to the Peavy/Crede/Buehrle days.

It really is striking. Beckham was the one involved with writing the "anti-gay" stuff joking around with Chris Getz...and yet he is the one often making controversial statements (along with his wife) about President Obama and then you mix in the Robertsons/Duck Dynasty.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
I'd be lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind that everyone loves LaRoche - especially if you're white, Christian, and like to kill stuff.

Mark Buehrle likes to kill stuff. So does Jim Thome. So does Bo Jackson.so did Walter Payton.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
You forgot country music (the LaRoches are friends with Jason Aldean, whoever that is) and trapping.

Similar to the Peavy/Crede/Buehrle days.

It really is striking. Beckham was the one involved with writing the "anti-gay" stuff joking around with Chris Getz...and yet he is the one often making controversial statements (along with his wife) about President Obama and then you mix in the Robertsons/Duck Dynasty.

Link to one Beckhamn controversial comment about Obama please. His wife doesn't count as him.

And his anti Gay thing to Getz was something 95% or more of Soxtalk members have done at some point in their lives.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Mark Buehrle likes to kill stuff. So does Jim Thome. So does Bo Jackson.so did Walter Payton.

Obviously, I was making a generalization. Just saying, Sale and Eaton have made comments about how everybody loves him, but when you see a pattern of support for LaRoche, it usually is the bible-thumping, s*** kickers.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
and i asked this.... r u sure it was me....

Nope, I'm the one who brought it up...because it's too obvious.

(And I say this from two seasons of working around a minor league baseball team every single day for 140+ games...there's always that clubhouse split between white players, Hispanic players and a few African-American players, especially the Hispanic players staying to themselves, with rare exceptions guys like Juan Uribe or Sandy Alomar that were the bridges between the two groups).

We have a profile, as someone said. White, Christian (born again, most often), anti-gay (for the most part), like to go hunting and fishing, listen to country music, heck, it's the profile of NASCAR too, haha.

That's LaRoche, Eaton, Sale, Beckham, Shark, Lawrie, Duke, Blaine Boyer, Bryce Harper...etc. And they've aligned with Ventura and Hahn. Most, but not all of them, grew up with a certain amount of privilege or special treatment from their teenage years onward.

Then you have basically everyone else who's not 100% comfortable in that group, especially the Hispanic players.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
Link to one Beckhamn controversial comment about Obama please. His wife doesn't count as him.

And his anti Gay thing to Getz was something 95% or more of Soxtalk members have done at some point in their lives.

This last sentence (the "joking/wink-wink") is exactly why Ozzie was so shocked at all the backlash for his comments.

Because every team makes those same "maricon" jokes and laughs about it. That term is thrown around as an insult at every ballpark, at least it used to be. We might have thought it was funny to joke about in high school, but that was in the 1980's and early 90's, when everyone was scared to death about HIV/AIDS and the Magic Johnson story was shocking news.

The Beckham comments are about as easy to track as Adam Eaton's twitter comments that have conveniently disappeared.

Edited by caulfield12

Bob Nightingale basically said what was reported. Some players and coaches complained to the front office. He said they all liked the kid but were just uncomfortable about his constant presence. KW talked to LaRoche about. LaRoche completely ignored him. KW flipped out and told him the kid couldn't come anymore. Then KW obviously came to his senses and settled on much less time for Drake to be around. LaRoche chose to retire instead. Players didn't go to LaRoche. Bob also said it was inappropriate for Hahn or Ventura to handle it in their mind. Ventura needs his players to be united and play well in a lame duck year. Can't afford to split the room. Also mentioned that Hahn is still the contract negotiator. KW was the perfect guy to do this it just got botched along the way and wasn't perceived well because of Kenny Williams' overall absence in general. Bottom Line: I think the team will be fine and KW doesn't mind being disliked. He'd almost prefer it that way in my opinion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)

(And I say this from two seasons of working around a minor league baseball team every single day for 140+ games...there's always that clubhouse split between white players, Hispanic players and a few African-American players, especially the Hispanic players staying to themselves, with rare exceptions guys like Juan Uribe or Sandy Alomar that were the bridges between the two groups).

We have a profile, as someone said. White, Christian (born again, most often), anti-gay (for the most part), like to go hunting and fishing, listen to country music, heck, it's the profile of NASCAR too, haha.

That's LaRoche, Eaton, Sale, Beckham, Shark, Lawrie, Duke, Blaine Boyer, Bryce Harper...etc. And they've aligned with Ventura and Hahn. Most, but not all of them, grew up with a certain amount of privilege or special treatment from their teenage years onward.

Then you have basically everyone else who's not 100% comfortable in that group, especially the Hispanic players.

Frazier spoke up on behalf of LaRoche. I don't know how many country music concerts he attends or how often he goes hunting or goes to see Joel Osteen. Bryce Harper is white. But the other things don't seem to apply to him either.

There aren't many black players in the major leagues, and the Latin guys seem to hang with Latin guys whether a Bible is in your luggage or not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 06:38 AM)
It states the White Sox agreed to Drake being around as much as LaRoche wished. It states KW did tell him there was zero access.

KW could ask him to "dial it back" but if he had an agreement and didn't want to "dial it back" whether you think it is the right thing to do or not, it doesn't matter, he shouldn't have to "dial it back". The White Sox should be held to their agreement.

LaRoche said the White Sox did their due diligence when he made this request. That totally lines up with what Rick Hahn said at Soxfest 2015.

I just hope for those who go by "things change", you don't get a job someday where there is no contract, agree to a certain salary and when you get your first check the numbers don't add up. That happened to me many years ago. Believe me, things change won't fit the narrative when you are the one who was lied to.

The BS about his being on the field and getting hurt doesn't add up. He has been there over a year. If that was such a concern why wouldn't they have addressed this sooner instead of coming back to spring training giving him his own locker and uniform? I will hang up and listen for my answer.

It's because players and coaches complained. Multiple media sources are reporting this specifically. Kenny mangled the rollout on it is the real issue, and Sale's half assed flapping to the press is what's fanning the flames.

I'm not a big fan of KW but it does appear as though he took one for the team here. The complaining players and coaches would probably feel like assholes if they approached a father to complain about the father's son, I would too. Also, it seems like the complainers didn't want to cause an uproar in the clubhouse and upset the chemistry between the players so they anonymously went to KW about Drake. At this point, what is KW supposed to do? Take the side of one player and his son or take the side of multiple players/coaches? Tough spot for KW and I wouldn't want to have to make that decision.

One sticking point for me is the percieved "lying" KW did to the players. According to LaRoche's own words, he would handle the situation if any players, coaches or managers had a problem with all the time Drake spent with the team. Well, last I knew, KW is a manager. He approached LaRoche about the subject to which LaRoche ignored it for an additional 3-4 days. LaRoche doesn't sound as though he tried to help the situation one bit when he ignored the request of the manager. Apparently it was LaRoche's way or the highway, he chose the highway.

In the end I feel everyone involved could have handled this better.

1) KW should have kept his cool the second time he went to LaRoche

2) LaRoche should have at least tried to scale things back after the first talk with KW. He should have adhered to his end of the agreement ( according to his own statement) instead of the my way or the highway nonsense. Typical fight or flight response, bye bye birdy. Go ahead and and go home, Eric Cartman.

3) Sale should have kept his big mouth shut about a clubhouse issue instead of whining to the media in an effort to pled someone's case for them.

4) Eaton, same as Sale. Eaton should reconsider the amount of time he spends on Twitter. Interesting how all of his tweets from Thursday were deleted.

5) Maybe the complaining players/coaches should have tried talking to LaRoche first, although I can see how that would be difficult to do. Tough spot but if the kid being around that often bothers them that much then maybe, in hindsight, it would have been the best first step instead of going to KW.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
This last sentence (the "joking/wink-wink") is exactly why Ozzie was so shocked at all the backlash for his comments.

Because every team makes those same "maricon" jokes and laughs about it. That term is thrown around as an insult at every ballpark, at least it used to be. We might have thought it was funny to joke about in high school, but that was in the 1980's and early 90's, when everyone was scared to death about HIV/AIDS and the Magic Johnson story was shocking news.

The Beckham comments are about as easy to track as Adam Eaton's twitter comments that have conveniently disappeared.

You are attributing what Beckhams wife says to him. That isn't fair.

Never has so much been made about something so little.

Some things I've learned here through all of this:

-AL is not very intelligent if he thinks a clubhouse is better learning environment for his kid than school.

-Sale is a horrible leader for not keeping business in house. He's choosing friendship with a crappy player who is isn't on the team anymore over the rest of the guys in the locker room. And over the well being of the entire organization.

-KW might deserve to be fired for not being great at his job. But this whole situation I don't see too much fault with him. Maybe handled more smoothly, yes. I think there were players and coaches who understandably spoke to him about having a kid there all the time.

Pretty frustrating all around. Sox need a stronger manager who does not let players like hothead Sale and his little sidekick Eaton run the clubhouse. They need some kind of organizational change that's for sure. Unlike some others I don't think this will blow over and be forgotten in a week. I think this will fester and distract them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
"We lost a leader in Drake LaRoche " -Adam Eaton on the Score

What a joke. I don't even want to root for these guys anymore. Drake is at home with his Dad. Eaton makes it sound like he died from cancer

I was thinking about bringing that up. It's super weird.

This whole thing...weird. Bizarre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)

thanks, you didn't have to come forth, i was ready to jump on the sword for the principal :lol:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)

What a joke. I don't even want to root for these guys anymore. Drake is at home with his Dad. Eaton makes it sound like he died from cancer

He is probably saying that for the kids benefit. There is a lot of crap flying but I think people are realizing a 14 year old kid is unfairly in the middle of this, and is in a can't win situation.

He knows at least someone is bothered by him with the White Sox. He knows his dad quit his job, something he loved because of it. Take these little things that Eaton and Sale are throwing out there for what they are. Something the kid will eventually see and appreciate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)

Now thats just stupid from eaton...... I get they like the guy. They pleaded theyre case. Now shut up. You were ordered by the man who signs your checks to hush. Do so

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
kW can ask but if Adam says no, then there is an agreement in place. You can ask John Danks to take a pay cut, but if he says no, you don't give him a pay cut. Whether or not this agreement is in writing, there seems to be enough sources, even a pro KW source confirming the White Sox agreed to this. The locker, the uniform, more proof Drake was granted more access. If KW or a coach thinks it's a bad deal, and didn't want the kid around, another thing the could have done is just released LaRoche, but then they would have had to pay.

And then they changed their mind. Which is their right