Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
My guess would be if it were injury related, they would have just said that.

Personal issues could be almost anything, none of which are good, and I feel dirty speculating about what they could be.

Maybe he just doesn't want to play anymore and doesn't have that "fire" he once had. I don't think it is anything bad

I was shocked to hear this news this morning. I had a thought that something was happening with Laroche, but felt it might be the back injury keeping him out longer than expected. I was looking forward to seeing him in action for 2016. Now, as we all do I am sure, I just hope he and his family are ok. Bseball can come second, but I have tremendous respect for a man that handle things the way he is and has done

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
Good luck to LaRoche. Hopefully, it's nothing too serious. I could see a rotating DH spot for now.

The rotating DH is something I wanted the Sox to try before they got LaRoche, but now that we're in win mode, I'm not sure we have the players to make it work. Think we have to make a move (which wouldn't necessarily preclude the rotating DH, anyway).

Frazier will provide able back up at first, with Lawrie shifting to 3B on those days...problem solved.

I too would like to see another starter and then keep trolling for cost effective rebound candidates. Acquisition of Jackson perhaps creates redundancy, but I always wanted the WSox to explore the still under 30 year old Jennings from Tampa as an option. One of the better defense outfielders in the game and he can run and hit for modest pop.

With my belief of the Sox possibly being short a bat before but even more so now. Your big bats are Abreu/Frazier, then lawrie. After that you got Melky and eaton. Hoping avi gets better offensively and Rollins can play fully really makes the Sox offense worrisome. They really need to get another bat and probably more so being lefty.

I mean, if you're talking about another starting pitcher... *points to signature*

But I'll argue it makes little sense to prioritize a pitcher over a hitter. The team needed the latter more before this news. There are five guys penciled with thick strokes into the rotation whether you like it or not, and two realistic options for backups.

It's also possible nothing will happen, as it's just too late. Was only the DH spot, after all.

I may be a minority of this but I think this creates somewhat of a hole. Was expecting LaRoche to bounce back somewhat this year, maybe like a .230/320/430 with 15-20 HR. 13M freed up is obviously awesome but I think we definitely need to get another hitter whether it's Morneau or someone else thru a trade.Can't go into the season with Avi as our DH IMO. Sign Morneau to a 3M deal and if he doesn't work out we still got $$ to play with at the deadline.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Maybe he just doesn't want to play anymore and doesn't have that "fire" he once had. I don't think it is anything bad

That's what I guess too. Anyway, best wishes for him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
With my belief of the Sox possibly being short a bat before but even more so now. Your big bats are Abreu/Frazier, then lawrie. After that you got Melky and eaton. Hoping avi gets better offensively and Rollins can play fully really makes the Sox offense worrisome. They really need to get another bat and probably more so being lefty.

Realistically, I thought that LaRoche would be good for about a .700 OPS this season. While I agree that we could use another bat, it's not like losing LaRoche cripples our offense. Avi could probably put up a .700 OPS.