Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
It is not clear players have an issue with him. The facts seem to indicate the opposite.

It is extremely clear, and for somebody who is usually so good at reading between the lines I wouldn't expect you to think KW did this just because he felt like it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
It is not clear players have an issue with him. The facts seem to indicate the opposite.

There's never going to be the smoking gun that you want, which is a player(s) admitting they told KW it was a distraction to either them or to LaRoche.

Could it be possible that a few of the guys on the team could have expressed their concern to KW of the kid being there but never openly with other players because...I dont know...maybe they didnt want to be considered the guy b****ing about something "small" with one of the nice guys on the team?

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
There's never going to be the smoking gun that you want, which is a player(s) admitting they told KW it was a distraction to either them or to LaRoche.

But there is KW saying the team bonded in their support of him against KW. If it was players who drove KW to this, that's another lie.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
So... Is there any sort of concern that this carries over into the season & comes a breaking point to a complete s*** show?

I don't see how there isn't at this point. There needs to be a resolution on the situation by LaRoche, followed by some massive damage control by management with the clubhouse.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Most athletes don't have their children around constantly. This isn't some industry-wide thing.

And to be fair, I don't think LaRoche wanted this to become the firestorm it has. I think he played the victim to his family and friends and it leaked through them to that Pittsburgh reporter yesterday. But he certainly hasn't done anything to calm it down and in fact seems to enjoy this persecution complex, judging by his company's twitter feed.

Whether he wanted it or not, it's happening and it seems like an awful lot of this is being fanned from his camp.

I think he thought he was going to look like some awesome father. To me, it looks like he has taught his son:

1. It's ok to quit your commitments when things don't go your way.

2. It's ok to quit on your teammates when things don't go your way.

3. You are entitled to special treatment, if said special treatment is asked to be reduced.....quit.

4. You should only abide by unwritten rules and handshake agreements when they are in your favor. If you don't like them......quit.

5. You can quit school when you are about 10.

6. In the process of quitting, and martyring yourself, it's ok to use your children as the excuse you are going to quit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
But there is KW saying the team bonded in their support of him against KW. If it was players who drove KW to this, that's another lie.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Could it be possible that a few of the guys on the team could have expressed their concern to KW of the kid being there but never openly with other players because...I dont know...maybe they didnt want to be considered the guy b****ing about something "small" with one of the nice guys on the team?

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Yeah, they didn't. They tried and LaRoche rejected the offer and retired.

I was mostly responding to the other poster who made it sound like the Sox should just unilaterally make a change to this "deal" without even talking to LaRoche. Perhaps I misunderstood him, but that's what I took away from his post.

I'm not taking LaRoche's side in this 100% and condemning the Sox front office.

The more I read about this, the more it sounds like it's coming straight from Kenny rather than any of the players in the clubhouse. The players apparently were on LaRoche's side so much that they were ready to boycott a game in solidarity with him.

I never said they should make a change to the deal without talking to LaRoche. But they have every right to try and make changes to it if the new players had a problem with it. Kenny told LaRoche to tone it down, twice. LaRoche refused to back down. And frankly, even if such a deal was in place, I highly doubt they meant Drake could be around EVERY single day, 24/7.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)

you really expect to hear KW say "it was great to see 49 of the 50 players bond in the clubhouse". The player(s) that went to KW pretty clearly wants to remain anonymous.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Most athletes don't have their children around constantly. This isn't some industry-wide thing.

That isn't the point, and yet people continue to argue it as if it is.

The point is that the Sox told him he could have his kid around all the time and then they changed their mind, after he relied upon their decision to come to his own decision to sign here.

Obviously if the Sox agreed to this in the first place, that is one piece of evidence suggesting that professional sports, and baseball in particular, is NOT similar to the working environments the rest of us report to every day. Would you even make this request in your job interview? Can you imagine what your prospective employer would say? Of course you wouldn't. And your prospective employer would laugh in your face. And yet, LaRoche DID make this request, and the White Sox AGREED to this!

So can we please stop with the comparisons to my freaking office job or someone's job as a butcher and all the other bs comparisons I am reading?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
So... Is there any sort of concern that this carries over into the season & comes a breaking point to a complete s*** show?

I'm not concerned about that. It should blow over by the start of the season. These players are professionals, it'd be ridiculous if something this stupid continued to affect them once the season starts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
I don't see how there isn't at this point. There needs to be a resolution on the situation by LaRoche, followed by some massive damage control by management with the clubhouse.

I'm legitimately worried this is going to grenade the season before it even starts...

Had a co-worker that had a family member in the Sox's minor league organization (won't say who) that said EVERYONE hated Kenny & he's a giant prick. Was told that they got into it a few times & he was later traded.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
That isn't the point, and yet people continue to argue it as if it is.

The point is that the Sox told him he could have his kid around all the time and then they changed their mind, after he relied upon their decision to come to his own decision to sign here.

I agree, and it's why they should have come to an agreement. As David Haugh said, if LaRoche just turned around and retired without second thought, then he was probably looking for an excuse to quit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)

I'm actually hoping the opposite will occur, along the lines of your Major League analogy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
can someone sum up what the hell is going on here?

1. Adam LaRoche likes to play slap ass with his son all Spring Training long
  2. The LaRoche's don't care about school or proper social development of their child
  3. Adam LaRoche played slap ass with his son all Spring Training 2015
  4. Adam Laroche sucked fat balls all of 2015
  5. Adam LaRoche showed up to Spring Training 2016, playing slap ass with his son the entire time
  6. People were like "this guy sucks, f*** him"
  7. Kenny asked Adam LaRoche to please only bring his kid around from time-to-time, because, like, doesn't he have s*** to do?
  8. Adam LaRoche took his ball, went home, left $13 million on the table
  9. The internet enjoyed this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
He has his kid out there all the time. Even brings him to press conferences, which I guess is considered cute and not annoying to the press.

Correct because the press doesn't have to deal with him for more than an hour. Or is an hour equivalent to all day because time is irrelevant.