Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

Here's the thing about this

KW may have done the right thing, certainly it seems that way on paper.

LaRoche may have done what he needed to do.

The net result though is that the team is pissed off and the fans are screwed, and it seems to be a pattern with this organization.

We lose a potential vital LH bat that we really need in the lineup, and the $13 million in savings does us as fans no good, necessarily.

This has all the feeling of Baines getting his number retired and then getting traded. It has the feel of Frank Thomas leaving the organization, of Fisk with the sour taste in his mouth.

And this team honestly wonders why they have a PR problem and problems getting asses in seats.

If La Roche decides not to retire, and returns to the team, is there any way that this turns our to be a good thing?

I can't imagine it. Adam La Roche strikes me as not being very bright. At his age, and being the veteran he is, you would think that he would

have more sense than this. I really hope that he goes through with this voluntary retirement. He wasn't contributing before this idiotic controversy, and

it is likely that he would not contribute enough to make up for the problems, he has just created.

My biggest fear now is that he changes his mind. Please just retire, please. And don't take too long to make up your mind. The sooner the organization knows, the better the chances to find an available left handed bat. I hope that they have already been engaged in preliminary discussions with a viable candidate, or two.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago

Sale told Williams, unequivocally, to get out of the clubhouse and stay out, per a source. Williams acknowledges meeting was passionate. 2/2

No offense to Chris but the leadership baton isn't with him these days even though he's well respected. Like it or not the Sox brought in new strong voices who have taken over

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)

The net result though is that the team is pissed off and the fans are screwed, and it seems to be a pattern with this organization.

We lose a potential vital LH bat that we really need in the lineup, and the $13 million in savings does us as fans no good, necessarily.

This has all the feeling of Baines getting his number retired and then getting traded. It has the feel of Frank Thomas leaving the organization, of Fisk with the sour taste in his mouth.

And this team honestly wonders why they have a PR problem and problems getting asses in seats.

As a pure baseball move, this is incredible for the Sox

the union can file a grievance, esp if the players are adamant. however, they may not have a legal ground to stand on, it will be prudent for the union rep to point this out, but if the players want to file, the union may, and i mean may not have a choice.

Yes, except that the fans liked Baines, Thomas and Fisk. I doubt the fans care enough about Laroche to get upset by this. If the money saved brings in a key piece via FA or trade, they'll care even less.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
No offense to Chris but the leadership baton isn't with him these days even though he's well respected. Like it or not the Sox brought in new strong voices who have taken over

That report makes me wonder if the report about him entering the Royals' clubhouse after the April brawl was actually factual.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Things should never change. Ever.

Verbal agreements are worthless. If LaRoche wants to blame anyone he has only himself and his agent to look at. If he wanted 100% guaranteed access for his son then put it in writing, in his contract. The players' union knows they have no leg to stand on with a grievance.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)

If the Sox are still mired in mediocrity next July, I hope that Sale is the first one out the door in the fire sale. I won't miss him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
Well, there is a concept in contract law called reliance.

There's also this:

There also was the highly publicized "handshake deal" Reinsdorf and former Bull Horace Grant allegedly reached three years ago. Grant opted for free agency and ended up with the Orlando Magic. Reinsdorf held a news conference and accused Grant of reneging on the deal and questioned Grant's character and worth ethic.

"Why do they have to try to break a guy's character down in the public?" Grant asked after Reinsdorf's news conference. "It's repulsive, ridiculous."

To this day, Reinsdorf sticks to his word about the Grant negotiations.

"The Grant thing was done with the permission of his agent," Reinsdorf said. "Horace asked me to negotiate with him and I cleared it with his agent. Horace and I shook hands and Horace didn't keep his word. I'm just not used to that."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Change is fine, but if you have given your word, that should mean something.

I actually agree with this.

Then again, we have no evidence that Sale's kid was promised 100% access. At the very least, it's not in his contract, which means that his options for recourse are severely limited. This is likely why he decided to retire, rather than file a grievance with the MLBPA.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
If the Sox are still mired in mediocrity next July, I hope that Sale is the first one out the door in the fire sale. I won't miss him.

If they tank this year, he'll be in a Red Sox jersey come December

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Change is fine, but if you have given your word, that should mean something.

Has anyone credible confirmed KW guaranteed LaRoche's kid access 100% of the time? There is a big difference between telling someone the clubhouse is family friendly (which never changed) and guaranteeing 100% access every single day.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Has anyone credible confirmed KW guaranteed LaRoche's kid access 100% of the time? There is a big difference between telling someone the clubhouse is family friendly (which never changed) and guaranteeing 100% access every single day.

No. Unless you consider Kaplan and his phenomenal source credible.

LaRoche's father, and whoever Kaplan talked to, which could be the same source.

Yes, I find it really hard to believe that any supposed handshake or verbal agreement specified that Drake was allowed 100% unrestricted access to the clubhouse. That is crazy.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)

I would but he's not the leader of the team. He's well respected but he isn't out there every day. It's pretty easy to see who has taken over with this team.