Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
That's where starting hot is important. If this team plays the first month at 11-16, they'll self-destruct before June. This is where having a good manager would help, but they don't have one.

Yep, you are dead on. It's going to spiral either way IMO. RV is not a strong enough leader to pull them out of a "woe is us" slump. They gotta start decent.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Consistent with my amusingly-timed rant earlier this week about chemistry, I think it might but it could be good or bad. I mean again, we've all seen Major League and what happens when the players hate upper management.

I just think this thing will blow over by the time the season begins. And Sale has always hated Kenny, so this incident changes nothing there.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
Because he's an immature ass with anger issues.

If the argument for limiting kids' access is more focus on work, the Sox are in the right for changing the rules. The horrible base-running that we saw last year alone seems to indicate that many of these guys had their heads up their rears under the previous rules.

this is from me, until something else new pops up, i am just going to read this thread.

i really never seen anything that is more of a non issue than this.

i hope the sox FO can take control of the team and get them ready of the season opener.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks this won't impact their play on the field?

I don't think it matters at all honestly. This team needed a kick in the ass. Last year they sucked, had no leadership from the manager, and no leadership from the players. Avila, Frazier, Navarro, Jackson, and Rollins have been on wing teams before. This team needs this in my opinion.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
What is interesting is the Sale comment and the link you had earlier about a meeting concerning upper management access to the clubhouse. The most interesting part to me is it appears Robin is on the players side, which I would imagine lines up with Sale's alleged comments.

I'm sure before it started, the FO made sure that RV took the players side, regardless of his personal view. It may be the only way to keep the clubhouse somewhat together.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
I don't think it matters at all honestly. This team needed a kick in the ass. Last year they sucked, had no leadership from the manager, and no leadership from the players. Avila, Frazier, Navarro, Jackson, and Rollins have been on wing teams before. This team needs this in my opinion.

I agree. In fact, I think this is a good sign for the clubhouse chemistry. It's better to have strong leaders and the occasional big dust up then some passive-aggressive BS where you "lead by example" and never call anyone out.

From all indications that is exactly what the clubhouse was like last year. Nobody said anything, ever.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)

Agreed. I have no problem with how any of this has happened. Seems like there wasn't much of a way around any of this.

Like a few others have said, this would be more interesting if LaRoche walking away wasn't a good thing for the organization.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Agreed. I have no problem with how any of this has happened. Seems like there wasn't much of a way around any of this.

Like a few others have said, this would be more interesting if LaRoche walking away wasn't a good thing for the organization.

That's the funny part. We are literally all happy about this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
That's the funny part. We are literally all happy about this.

Don't you think some of the players realize it too? I mean, they can look at the back of his baseball card just as easily as we can. If they want to win, ditching LaRoche for free is a nice little boost to that plan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)

If his walking away wasn't a good thing, this would have never happened. KW would have folded for sure if he had LaRoche pegged for 30 homers this year and he mentioned leaving.

I wonder if it is true that Jimmy Rollins now runs the team. If he does, they got quite a bargain with his contract.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
Yeah they just repeated that report on 670 the score. Some well respected guys went to Kenny. They didnt name Rollins but it's obvious he was one.

It basically is the same as bringing in outside consultants to your company and asking them for their recommendations. Hopefully Sale and company come to respect the opinion that Rollins and others had.

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Yeah they just repeated that report on 670 the score. Some well respected guys went to Kenny. They didnt name Rollins but it's obvious he was one.

Honestly this is great IMO, wake up call. It doesn't have to be a party in the clubhouse where everyone gets what they want and play like crap on the field.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
It basically is the same as bringing in outside consultants to your company and asking them for their recommendations. Hopefully Sale and company come to respect the opinion that Rollins and others had.

Outside consultants..one of the biggest scams going.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
Remember the 2002 World Series when JT Snow scooped up Dusty Baker's son as he crossed home plate ?

Babysitting and managing a WS at the same time is cute. having your kid get a teammate more seeds is a bit distracting.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
Honestly this is great IMO, wake up call. It doesn't have to be a party in the clubhouse where everyone gets what they want and play like crap on the field.

Exactly, the beer and chicken s*** only became a problem when Boston wasn't winning. If Laroche had an awesome year, the Sox won big, who gives a s***? But coming off a 76 win season where your big FA signing put up -1.4 fWAR and not expecting management to ask for some changes? GMAFB.

Any employee not living up to their salary should be open to their boss asking them to make work/life changes. If I was promised I could work from home but a year into the job I'm slacking off and only getting 1/2 of what I would get done with a regular office schedule of course my boss is going to ask me to stop working from home as it's obviously hurting my performance.

LaRoche is just a douche. He pouted and whined and took his ball and went home. Instead of doing what was best for the team he did what was best for him and he did in the worst possible way, trashing the team on the way out.

Bernstein is saying now that Kenny approached Adam first to try and hint that some players would like it if he wasnt around as much. Trying to slowly move him towards cutting it down. Then when he didnt do that Kenny put his foot down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
If Jimmy Rollins went to KW and moaned, and then said this

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0315-story.html

he is not a leader. A leader would cop to what he did and explain it to everyone.

Why in the world would he say that when the story hadn't broken yet? Everything he said was justified in this situation, even if he was the one who said something.